Texas Hunting Forum

12 volt feeder

Posted By: jumpnjohnfish

12 volt feeder - 04/11/19 07:12 PM

Can anybody suggest a 12 volt timer and thrower. I already have a feeder and legs, just to upgrade from the 6 volt
Posted By: Cast

Re: 12 volt feeder - 04/11/19 07:31 PM

Monarch. Made in Fort Worth.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: 12 volt feeder - 04/11/19 09:28 PM

I like Triple C feeders. They are made like a tank. Built in Burleson and good people to deal with.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: 12 volt feeder - 04/12/19 11:35 AM

All Seasons Feeders - 12 volt Evolution Control Unit up
Posted By: bholt

Re: 12 volt feeder - 04/14/19 12:49 PM

No matter what you buy, keep this in mind, it can be upgraded. Here's what you want.
A box suitable to house a motors, battery, & timer.

A Motor 12 volt obviously, that has a 1/4" shaft. They are much beefier and gooder than te 1/8" small versions, that will mount under the barrel.

A 12 Volt gel cell battery, a solar panel can be installed on the back of the box to maintain the battery but is not a must.

A timer, ok here's where we all start acting like politicians or Ford vs. Chevy owners. There are some cheap ones for about $30.00 wildegame at academy and some gooder ones such as "The Timer" that run around $70.00 bucks I'd say.

With all that said, short of the box it can all be upgraded with very little work effort. I have units that short of having to replace the batteries once, have been in service for 15 years.
My Point is if you are on a budget go to academy and get you a $100.00 unit, in a metal box, and install it just make sure it has the larger motor. That and 12 volt battery and your done. You can always replace/upgrade the timer lter but that will get you started.
Oh yea make sure you put a good funnel in the barrel.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: 12 volt feeder - 04/14/19 03:27 PM

The Timer
Posted By: Deersteaks

Re: 12 volt feeder - 04/15/19 02:54 AM

This coming season will be my 10th on my "All Season" feeder units. The only thing I have done is replace the spinner plates last year on each one. All parts are replaceable and easy to work with. Good luck!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: 12 volt feeder - 04/15/19 09:13 PM

The Timer, galvanized box, gold 12V motor, box-mounted solar panel, Eliminator plate, good 7aH gel cell battery. Good to go for years to come.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: 12 volt feeder - 04/18/19 10:18 AM

Texas Hunter Products. Been buying their kits for a very long time. Comes with everything to bolt onto your barrel. Get the solar panel. Very easy to program, I've never had a failure. These are built like a tank. I finally replaced the motor in one that I've been running for about 15 years.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: 12 volt feeder - 04/18/19 03:16 PM

Not cheap, but very well made and will last. Great customer service too. I had a timer that was 8 or 9 years old start acting up, so I took it in to ask about warranty/replacement. The guy told me it was not under warranty, but then he proceeded to take it apart and repair it. It was a bad connection on one of the wires. It's 12 or 13 years old now and still working like a champ.

on sale for $119 right now:

TX HTR 12v Feeder kit
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: 12 volt feeder - 05/24/19 02:21 PM

I have The Timer and do like it and also have a Texas Hunter timer that was about $30. and it has lasted 12 years. I would consider buying a box that is attached to the barrel by 4 bolts so I could make or buy one of the varmint plates you will see on some feeders. Eliminator spinner maybe.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum