Texas Hunting Forum

Best material for a blind

Posted By: spg

Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 02:41 AM

What's your thoughts on the most economical material for the exterior of a blind?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 03:40 AM

Economical. Would be thin plywood. Add couple of coats of returned HD paint.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 03:44 AM

Is there such a material now days?

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 03:47 AM

OK, something besides plywood? Economical but not cheap as possible......Economical meaning, it'll last long for what it cost. I was contemplating on hardie 4x8 sheets at roughly $28 per sheet about the same as treated plywood.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 04:29 AM

Thats what I did...rock solid
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 04:55 AM

I know a guy that built a blind and covered it with canvas and then painted the canvas. He did not let it stay out all year. Google "canvas covered boats".

That too expensive for you, cover it with cardboard from appliances. Paint it, then pray for no rain.

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 05:20 AM

Nah, I aint that cheap.....just trying to get some ideas.........leaning towards Hardie.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 02:05 PM

Hardie board will last a long time, but it is heavy. I have two out of Hardie that I built, if you have any questions just let me know.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 03:32 PM

We built 3 out of hardi board. It has been good, ours have been in the field 24/7 since 2009 and they are in great shape still we haven't even repainted them yet.

They are heavier than wood and hardi is not forgiving like thinner plywood, it doesn't bend. If its a blind your plan on taking down and putting up every year I would go a different direction than hardi, but if it will stay put I think its a great option.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 06:00 PM

I use metal roofing 5V or R panel framework is 2X2 glued and screwed thin 1/4" plywood and carpet on the inside 3/4" hard insulation inside, it can be doubled and the the metal roofing outside. Not the cheapest but it will last forever.

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 06:06 PM

What did you use to fasten to frame.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 09:14 PM

Hardie would get my vote
Posted By: PMK

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
OK, something besides plywood? Economical but not cheap as possible......Economical meaning, it'll last long for what it cost. I was contemplating on hardie 4x8 sheets at roughly $28 per sheet about the same as treated plywood.

just built a 4x6 using SmartSide from Home Depot, used 2x2 frame, 2x6 treated for floor frame, 5/8 plywood for floor and ceiling with 8 foot corrugated metal for roof over top of the plywood ceiling. Went to Habitat for Humanity and bought door hinges for all the windows & door. roughly $300

SmartSide

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/29/18 10:06 PM

Thanks, going to give it a try
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/30/18 01:57 AM

I built 3 4'x6' blinds out of Hardie 6 yrs ago now and still have not had to paint them since the first time. They are heavy but will last a long time.
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/30/18 02:16 AM

I bought some flat sheets of 26ga metal from Mueller last yr to skin my blind. It’s what they use to bend and make trim. I had plenty of R panel but needed a flat surface for my Deerview winds to mount against. I don’t remember exact cost but thinking they were around $35 per sheet 3.5’W x 10’L

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/30/18 04:40 AM

The option that has me on the fence is the hardie is the same price as treated plywood and I don't have to paint. I have some blinds that I don't know how old they are and still solid built out of treated. However it seems like the hardie would outlast the treated.
Posted By: Shortya

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/30/18 02:11 PM

Hardie!! Do it once and do it right!

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/30/18 02:39 PM

I like that idea.

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/30/18 02:40 PM

Metal to wood roofing screws.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/30/18 03:35 PM

I'd second the OSB "Smart Siding."
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Best material for a blind - 10/31/18 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: spg
Nah, I aint that cheap.....just trying to get some ideas.........leaning towards Hardie.

We have 3 with Hardie that are 15 years old. Have done no maintenance. Probably should replace the carpet... They took a genie lift to get them on the platforms 10 feet up but are super solid and last a long time.

Our newest we built with corrogated metal panels in hunter green screwed into a welded frame we built. Used foam sheets in the welded frame and then carpeted inside. Holy smokes is it quite and super insulated. Whole thing less than $800. These aren't exactly what we used since we had full size panels and cut to spec. Not sure where my buddy sourced them but he builds commercial. Looks and feels brand new 3 years later. Used a camper door and Deerview windows.

https://m.bonanza.com/listings/vidaxl-12...JoaAstUEALw_wcB
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Best material for a blind - 11/01/18 03:36 PM

LP SmartSide, lighter than Hardie.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Best material for a blind - 11/02/18 12:45 AM

I use T111 siding. It soaks up paint, which I guess makes it more water resistant. Seems to last a long time. Way better than normal plywood.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum