Texas Hunting Forum

Small Cabin Idea

Posted By: dogcatcher

Small Cabin Idea - 10/11/18 04:00 AM

This guys idea for a "semi log cabin" look building gave me an idea for building a temporary small portable cabin or blind for a deer lease.
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/2_599_0.html

Our first cabin was only 8x12, plenty of room to sleep 4. It would be what I would build as a portable. Using no glue between the homemade logs would allow you to take it apart and haul it on a trailer. The "logs" would fit together like a big Lincoln Log building set. Using a shed roof with the back side slightly lower than the front would simplify the roof, covered with roll roofing. Bottom row of "logs" made out of treated limber to prevent rot. Floor could either be dirt or stone pavers. If you lose the lease, take it apart and haul home with you.

Instead of using the 2x8 for the wall construction use 1x8. The walls would still be 2.25" thick, plenty thick for a small hunting shack. That would give enough width for a slab door and strength for window openings.
Posted By: Western

Re: Small Cabin Idea - 10/11/18 01:27 PM

Pretty interesting read, may be a fun project.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Small Cabin Idea - 10/11/18 02:12 PM

Neat
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Small Cabin Idea - 10/11/18 04:36 PM

We just built a small cabin.

I named it the “brokeback shack”. The other guys don’t care for the name.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Small Cabin Idea - 10/11/18 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Pretty interesting read, may be a fun project.

I am thinking about a small one for the grandkids. 4x6, no windows, just shutters to enclose openings and door.
Posted By: Western

Re: Small Cabin Idea - 10/11/18 11:02 PM

Yeah, that would be a good small project to try it out on, well house is what I'm thinking, but had metal in mind just to keep rats out. Would be a neat "cabin" by a fishing spot too
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum