Texas Hunting Forum

Shipping crate blind build

Posted By: dlrz71

Shipping crate blind build - 09/11/18 02:07 AM

My brother bought a shipping crate similar to one I had built a few years back and we finally got to putting it together this weekend after the rains. Got it framed out, windows and door cut out. Still need to frame the bottom to attach the elevator brackets and frame out the windows and door. Started out with a $100 shipping container.

Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/11/18 02:31 AM

You going to use metal on roof? Little paint and y'all good to go.

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/11/18 02:33 AM

Yeah we will put tin on top once we get it in his area.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/11/18 01:55 PM

those work very well!!!

3 pieces of 10' corrugated sheet metal from Home Depot and a box of roofing screws with neoprene washers will get you set up good. I found an ad on Craigslist where they were $75 each, so I bought 4. I made up three stands (picture above of one on the ground) and sold the 4th to a friend that needed to build one for his Wounded Warrior hunts.
Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/11/18 02:33 PM

Looks great!

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/11/18 02:53 PM

oh yeah, something I found out ... if you go to Home Depot (Lowes too maybe??) paint section, look for exterior paint that was returned for wrong color or too much, doesn't really matter color but you can get high quality paint for $8-10/gallon. Get 2-3 different colors for creative camo coverage to break up the pattern of the edges.

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/11/18 04:51 PM

Here is the one I built several years ago. We aren't going quite as high with his but it was a pain in the arse to raise mine assembled which is why we are going to reassemble the panels on the base.

Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/11/18 05:00 PM

Nice up
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/12/18 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: PMK
oh yeah, something I found out ... if you go to Home Depot (Lowes too maybe??) paint section, look for exterior paint that was returned for wrong color or too much, doesn't really matter color but you can get high quality paint for $8-10/gallon. Get 2-3 different colors for creative camo coverage to break up the pattern of the edges.

Same with walmart specially this time of year.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/12/18 02:45 AM

How much beer is required!
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/13/18 03:48 AM

Or you can order the paint you want, then walk away. Come back tomorrow and half off.......

Just kidding HD....
Posted By: woods and plainsman

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/25/18 11:26 AM

where do you get the shipping crates? I need one
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/27/18 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide

Or you can order the paint you want, then walk away. Come back tomorrow and half off.......

Just kidding HD....

Genius rofl
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/27/18 10:47 AM

I picked up a few of those a couple years ago. They give them away at the moving company and load them with a forklift for you. I used them for temporary storage and still have 1 with my welders and big stuff in one. An extra sheet of plywood on the floor helps too.

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/27/18 05:45 PM

I got mine from a shipping company that listed them on Craigslist, $75 each. I bought 3 and they pitched in a 4th for free.
Posted By: major_74

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 09/30/18 10:40 PM

That’s cool
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 10/01/18 07:10 PM

What's the size of those things? Looks like maybe 4x6 in pic.

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 10/02/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Cajunrotor
What's the size of those things? Looks like maybe 4x6 in pic.

5 x 7.5 x 8 on the new one in the original post. my green one I posted was 5 x 7 x 8
Posted By: JCO

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 10/02/18 02:09 AM

Never thought of this. Good and cheap way to add some extra blinds. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: hrt4me

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 10/12/18 03:55 PM

which moving companies are selling these?

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 10/13/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: hrt4me
which moving companies are selling these?

There used to be a place in Lewisville but haven't seen any advertised lately. There are some in Austin and San Antonio.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/for/d/storage-container/6703837634.html
Posted By: Caskins

Re: Shipping crate blind build - 11/08/18 10:02 PM

Good idea. Thanks for sharing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum