Texas Hunting Forum

STAND AND FILL FEEDERS

Posted By: Huntmaster

STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 08/26/18 05:05 PM

Question; for years I’ve climbed up and dumped corn in a feeder. So I see these feeders made with angle iron where the barrell sits on the frame and you can fill from the ground. What advantage do these $350 feeders have over putting one of those bands on the bottom of the barrell, cutting off the legs, and putting an academy $19.95 wire cage around the feeder?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 08/27/18 02:05 AM

Someone on here mentioned the Bucee's Stand and Fill Feeders. I looked at one Saturday picking up some corn... $399 for a 600lb Stand and Fill cannot be beat. It also has the new style of varmit proofer with the spinner sandwiched between two discs vs the old style cage.

I have two of what you mentioned, cry once and buy once and get something like the above. I used the barrel stands for one season and bought an All Seasons 600lb S&F to replace them.

That Bucee's feeder will hold twice the corn as a barrel and throw twice as far without the cage being in the way.

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 08/27/18 02:13 AM

Thanks
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 08/27/18 02:39 AM

I don’t use feeders anymore, but when I did the All Season stand and fills were worth every penny.
Posted By: Mathp

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 08/27/18 03:37 AM

What timer does the Buccee's feeder use?
Posted By: TxAg

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 08/27/18 03:24 PM

If you have pigs, the cut-off legs with varmint cage will not last long. I experimented with that once, they destroyed it. A heavy welded cage on a stand and fill is a different ball game. The sandwich plate is even better.

Anyone have a pic of these $399 BucEes stand and fills? I'm real curious. What Timers do they come with?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 08/27/18 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Mathp
What timer does the Buccee's feeder use?

"The Timer"

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 08/27/18 05:36 PM

I see the point if exposed to pigs; but my feeders are in a fence.
Posted By: Sick Train

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/05/18 01:14 PM

Also interested in pics of the Buccee’s feeders if anyone has some.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/05/18 01:30 PM

For those wanting pics here you go. I think there's still a few kinks that need to be worked out, one being the exposed motor on the bottom.

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/05/18 02:05 PM

[quote=Southtexas36]For those wanting pics here you go. I think there's still a few kinks that need to be worked out, one being the exposed motor on the bottom.

Agreed, but for that price it's very attractive.

Do they have a the sheet metal funnel in them like the regular stand and fills?

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/05/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg
[quote=Southtexas36]For those wanting pics here you go. I think there's still a few kinks that need to be worked out, one being the exposed motor on the bottom.

Yes, the void area is used to house the timer and battery, you can see the door in the pic.

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/05/18 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Southtexas36
Originally Posted By: TxAg

Yes, the void area is used to house the timer and battery, you can see the door in the pic.

Cool, thanks.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/05/18 07:48 PM

This one uses square tubing and is much stronger. Also notice that it has skids so it won't be tipped over. I believe it is $350 or $375. PM me if you want the info on the buy that built it.

-Z
Posted By: GHale

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/06/18 09:32 PM

Here is the Game Winner model at Academy. 325lb. for $299.00

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner%C2%AE-325-lb-cube-vp-feeder#repChildCatid=3637686
Posted By: Sick Train

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/07/18 11:47 AM

Will hogs destroy the Buc-ee’s feeder if not fenced in? Metal looks pretty thin and not sure how it would hold up against lots of hogs.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/10/18 07:56 PM

Any "stand and fill" feeder needs to be inside of a pen. You would be surprised what a pack of hungry hogs can do to any type of feeder. Heck, you would be surprised what a pack of raccoons can do to it as well. Oh...and since these feeders cost a lot, you might want to chain/lock them up so they don't "mysteriously" disappear to someone else's ranch.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/10/18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Southtexas36
For those wanting pics here you go. I think there's still a few kinks that need to be worked out, one being the exposed motor on the bottom.

Seems like it would be easy to screw a PVC flange over the motor to the plate, covering it. Or a galvanized vent pipe cover. I don't like that wire exposed.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/10/18 11:06 PM

Is that wire inside conduit or copper tubing?

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/10/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
Is that wire inside conduit or copper tubing?

Plastic, that motor setup is the weakest link.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/10/18 11:57 PM

Plastic...would be a easy fix.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/11/18 12:01 AM

That’s a good feeder for the price, but I wouldn’t count on it making many spot moves without falling apart and you can forget about not putting it in a pen.
Posted By: PMK

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/11/18 01:58 PM

agree with Ramball, hogs would tear that up quickly in my opinion, coons would kill the motor the first night they find it without covering up that motor/wiring.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: STAND AND FILL FEEDERS - 09/20/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
That’s a good feeder for the price, but I wouldn’t count on it making many spot moves without falling apart and you can forget about not putting it in a pen.

I have had one of Ramball's out for a couple years now and not in a pen. Even without any corn in it it's pretty heavy. Tons of hogs and no problems yet. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum