Texas Hunting Forum

Water guzzlers for deer

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Water guzzlers for deer - 05/01/18 05:57 PM

Who uses water guzzler's on their property? It will be a dry summer in South Texas and the deer will need another source of water. Does anyone have any ideas on how to build such a unit?
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 05/01/18 06:05 PM

We use them in San Saba county. The wildlife use them all the time. Go through 275 gallons in about 2-3 weeks during the summer. We use a 275 gallon tote & run pvc to a horse waterer like you buy at tractor supply. We bury it in the ground. You want to use a small trough etc, because the bigger your trough the more you will lose to evaporation. We have 2 out on 230 ac & the regular trough at the well. Getting ready to put another one out soon. The more water you can give them on the place the better. If you are in an area that is dry & not much surface water like ponds etc the water will draw the game in.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 05/02/18 05:21 PM

We don't have guzzlers, but have water totes that feed troughs with floats. They will keep water available for a long time in wetter conditions and about 2 months when dry (for our usage) I'm sure if you have higher density they will drain it faster.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 05/30/18 06:10 AM

Put out a 275 gallon tote this weekend on my lease In Schleicher County. Our place is big and has almost no water on it. Curious to see how long it lasts
Posted By: Single Shot

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 05/30/18 01:13 PM

Here you go!

http://wildlifehabitat.tamu.edu/mgmtplan/AppendixO.pdf

A good starting place. One of the easiest I’ve seen built was one of the old fiberglass satellite dishes set on top of a plastic tote to catch rain water then piped to a small horse stall watering trough set in the ground surrounded by some rocks.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 06/02/18 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: sbushee
Put out a 275 gallon tote this weekend on my lease In Schleicher County. Our place is big and has almost no water on it. Curious to see how long it lasts

Have been hunting Schleicher for 6 yrs 4000 acres and have luckily alot of water troughs on the property.
Posted By: jimbob

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 06/03/18 01:07 AM

Im in same county. Have 2 plumbed together usually lasts 3 months
Posted By: PMK

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 06/05/18 08:14 PM

saw these on Craigslist and thought it was a heck of a idea ... self filling (if there is any rain) water collectors. looks pretty portable and would be easy to connect up PVC to a small trough with metal float system.

water collector
Posted By: Single Shot

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 06/05/18 08:44 PM

Sound idea but would probably need more roof area to collect enough water in a dry area.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 06/07/18 07:46 PM

yep, agree, but better than hauling water every time ... my LO out SW of Ozona put gutters and down spouts into a 1100 gallon water tank from TSC, put that under the back porch, filled up with one rain. Of course, she has considerably more sq ft roof but this might be enough to get a few months without having to haul water to fill. I just liked the portability idea behind it.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 06/08/18 12:24 PM

Do you think that an 8' by 10' tin roof will fill a 55 gallon plastic barrel with an inch of rain? This is the size I plan to build.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 06/08/18 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter Daddy
Do you think that an 8' by 10' tin roof will fill a 55 gallon plastic barrel with an inch of rain? This is the size I plan to build.

8’x10’x1” of rain is 11,520cubic inches of water which is 49.87 gallons of water.

Yes. 1” rain will fill it:)
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Water guzzlers for deer - 06/08/18 07:47 PM

This is what we have.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum