Texas Hunting Forum

Metal Stairs For Deer Blind

Posted By: Hog Slayer

Metal Stairs For Deer Blind - 03/28/18 08:18 AM

Hello. One of the wooden rungs on our deer blind ladder busted of course while toting a loaded gun. Planning on upgrading to some kind of metal stairs. Any ideas on basic plans on welding some stairs or maybe even a more economical solution? It's 97" from the ground to the bottom of the doorway which is 21" wide. Thanks.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Metal Stairs For Deer Blind - 03/28/18 11:45 AM

We build our stairs with 1.5”x3” tubing on end, 2”x2” angle laid on the inside with 4.27 bar grating as the steps. For the handrail we use 1.5” tubing and just slap it on the outside of the rectangle tubing.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Metal Stairs For Deer Blind - 03/28/18 12:07 PM

Posted By: Hog Slayer

Re: Metal Stairs For Deer Blind - 03/29/18 06:17 AM

Do you happen to have any pictures of stairs like you described? My son is a welder, so maybe the description of the parts that you use will make more sense to him. I'm having a hard time visualizing it.
Posted By: jimbob

Re: Metal Stairs For Deer Blind - 05/06/18 06:55 PM

3" to 4" purlin would be easy and more stairway like with a 3 or 4 inch wide tread
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Metal Stairs For Deer Blind - 06/13/18 06:06 AM

We bought 16 foot extension ladders and separated the 2 parts to form two 8 ft ladders. Works like a charm and will last forever
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Metal Stairs For Deer Blind - 06/15/18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: MELackey
We bought 16 foot extension ladders and separated the 2 parts to form two 8 ft ladders. Works like a charm and will last forever
Agreed, now that I am getting older I had an idea of securing some galvanized fence pipe to one side of a extension ladder for a hand rail. I'll need to draw up some plans on how to secure it but am sure it could be done cheaply and safely.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Metal Stairs For Deer Blind - 06/15/18 09:50 PM

Best stairs I we have had on a stand were from a tank battery.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Metal Stairs For Deer Blind - 06/15/18 10:26 PM

Here is one that is used, https://abilene.craigslist.org/tls/d/fire-escape/6598645447.html
It has been on the Abilene Craigslist for a longer than the 21 days, probably a year or more that I can remember. Priced way to high and she doesn't come off her prices.

There is also a shop in Gustine that builds stairs for deer blinds, I have seen it advertised on Craigslist.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum