Texas Hunting Forum

How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind

Posted By: Dave Roach

How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/02/18 03:12 PM

While hunting this past weekend, I was running a buddy heated in my T-Box blind and the temperature change caused one of the frozen sliding windows in the blind to develop a crack. I need to replace the glass before it breaks out and the owls take over the blind as their own.

Can anyone help walk me through how to replace the glass? I couldn't figure out how to remove the glass from the frame for the life of me (I have no experience in working on windows). The entire window appears to be set into the fiberglass, with the individual glass panes set in an aluminum frame which slides on tracks within the larger window frame.

Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/02/18 04:43 PM

First off. I have no idea. But could clear nail polish work......as a temp fix...
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/02/18 04:45 PM

Superglue and clear packing tape works good Man you hunt some flat ground...
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/02/18 05:31 PM

You might have to take the window slider out, block opening with plywood, take to a place that can replace the glass. Usually the glass is installed into a rubber gasket and then pushed into the aluminum frame, have to be very careful glass breaks and cuts.

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/02/18 05:55 PM

YellowDog- What do you mean? There's a hill a mere 3 miles East of my spot. laugh

Dalee- That was my thinking also, but I don't see how the slider comes out of the frame. There doesn't appear to be a way to pull it up and out.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/02/18 06:28 PM

Same thing happened to my t-box blind. I called for a replacement and was told 200+ dollars. I ended up buying a new one from deerview (their windows lock). It was 1 inch too short due to how t-box has theirs installed. Either way I am allot happier with the deerview.

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/02/18 07:11 PM

ijohnston- Deerview is right down the road and I used their windows in another blind I built, was very happy with them. How did you swap the original for the deerview? The window in mine appears to be set in the fiberglass.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/03/18 12:04 AM

Grove fix it....

1. Buy deer view window.
2. Knock glass out of old window.
3. Mount new window from inside, over the old one.

Fwiw. I could hunt for about five years with that crack..
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/03/18 12:10 AM

In my Texas Hunter blind, the top track is deeper than the bottom track and it allows you to lift the sliding windows up enough to pull them out.

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/03/18 12:18 AM

Roll-Tide - I thought the same thing with a door a few years back and came back in July to fill feeders only to find a family of owls had moved in. That's a mess I'll never forget and a smell only fire can get rid of.

The owner of T-Box blinds (Rick) called me personally today in response to an email I sent him this morning. He walked me through the process to replace the glass. Unfortunately, because of the owl related incident above, I don't want to leave an opening in the blind for the amount of time it would take to make a trip home and then back out after it was repaired by a window shop. He also walked me through swapping it out with a DeerView, which seems easy enough. I appreciate all the help fellas.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 01/03/18 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Roach
ijohnston- Deerview is right down the road and I used their windows in another blind I built, was very happy with them. How did you swap the original for the deerview? The window in mine appears to be set in the fiberglass.

It was fairly easy. I took out the screws that held the old ones in place, got my knife and separated the old frame from the blind (from the outside), then did the same on the inside. After a little soft talk to the window frame, it popped right out. My only problem was the rough opening of the window ended up being larger than what deerview sent me. Apparently T-Box blind added about a 1/2 in filler on both sides of their windows which gave me an extra gap when putting the new one in. I can't blame t-box or deerview. I should have measured larger and cut a bigger hole if needed. All in all, it was a simple swap. I will be replacing the broken glass in the original frame and will hold onto it in case I need it or build a new blind.

Good luck.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: How to Replace Cracked Sliding Window in Blind - 02/26/18 02:23 PM

Glue and tape unless yo are getting ready for a hunters magazine shoot. Probably only last 10years though
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum