Texas Hunting Forum

Connecting two 55 gallon drums

Posted By: sbushee

Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/06/17 07:32 PM

Any of you guys ever stacked one 55 gallon barrel on another? How’d you make em for? Did you slip bottom one into top one do prevent water from getting inside? I want to try and do this with the basic tools I own. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance
Posted By: rickym

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/06/17 09:21 PM

No I haven't, but my two ideas would be welding them, or using 6" wide heavy sheet metal and bolting both barrels together while using epoxy on all holes.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/07/17 12:43 AM

Flex seal roflmao
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/07/17 02:53 AM

I looked in to it and some people welded them together and then installed the band for the legs just below where the weld line is so it won’t be top heavy. They also suggested on getting wide feet or pads for it and staking it down. One guy had a better idea after making one, he just went with making two 55gal feeders from the two barrels and set one to throw corn at night and the other set to throw corn in the morning. Here is a pic of one that was for sale on here. Looks like it would be hell to fill it if you didn’t have a heavy duty winch set up for it.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/462462/110_gallon_deer_feeder_dual_so

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/07/17 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Flex seal roflmao
hahaha! That would be awesome.

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/07/17 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By: bowbuilder1971
I looked in to it and some people welded them together and then installed the band for the legs just below where the weld line is so it won’t be top heavy. They also suggested on getting wide feet or pads for it and staking it down. One guy had a better idea after making one, he just went with making two 55gal feeders from the two barrels and set one to throw corn at night and the other set to throw corn in the morning. Here is a pic of one that was for sale on here. Looks like it would be hell to fill it if you didn’t have a heavy duty winch set up for it.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/462462/110_gallon_deer_feeder_dual_so
thanks for the info. I have two going now doing just as that guy suggested. Thanks again!
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/07/17 05:35 PM

I made legs with out welding the. used the lid for the motor housing
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/08/17 10:41 PM

weld 2 lid bands together.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/09/17 09:06 PM

Best way is 2 single barrels on top of a platform. One throwing am and the other pm.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/10/17 05:42 AM

I felt like two full barrels would be too heavy and too tall to be practical, but did extend one by one third a barrel. I cut the top rim off the top of one barrel, then cut another barrel at the first rib leaving a flared bottom end. I heated the 1/3 barrel flared end with a torch to expand the metal as much as possible, then using a section of 4x4 post and sledge on top hammered it down onto the full barrel. I then used construction adhesive around the joint to seal it. The legs are on a cradle that holds the barrel. I remember the tolerance of the cradle was so tight, that the cradle had to be heated with a torch to expand the metal enough to insert the barrel. There is a sheet metal funnel inside the bottom of the feeder with the air space under it filled with an expanding foam and construction adhesive around the edge to seal it further. The legs have axle grease or Vaseline on them in this picture and had to be added regularly to keep the coons off. Not pictured I have been testing on this feeder using a slinky slipped over each leg fastened at the top of the leg to find a way to get away having to maintain the grease on the legs. So far it seems to be working.
This extended barrel has given me 30+ years service.

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/10/17 12:00 PM

That's nice.

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/10/17 05:46 PM

Very cool
Posted By: jimbob

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/16/17 05:00 PM

Why not buy an 85 or 110 gal drum. Much less work
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/16/17 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jimbob

where do you find these?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/17/17 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuckw
Originally Posted By: jimbob

where do you find these?

X2

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/17/17 02:44 AM

X3

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/18/17 06:00 PM

Dallas drum. West tx feexer supply sells funnels and lids for 85 gal

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/18/17 06:02 PM

http://www.dallassteeldrums.com
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/19/17 08:44 PM

www.usafeeders.com

Well made 85 gallon barrel feeders. I think they hold around 11 bags of corn with their added funnel
Posted By: exoticbob

Re: Connecting two 55 gallon drums - 12/21/17 06:27 PM

I used a double stacked 55 for years. Cut out bottom of one then weld them together. 85 is better use tho.
I also had them put funnel on outside to maximize amount of corn allowed.
Used a 10ft step ladder lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum