Texas Hunting Forum

Setting up feeder around high grass

Posted By: aggiegolfer09

Setting up feeder around high grass - 10/10/15 01:40 AM

All the land I hunt on has pretty high grass. I want to set up a feeder. I was thinking of just taking my weed eater and just cutting the grass really short around the feeder. Is that the best option? Should i put down some dirt on top of the grass after and pad it down so deer can get to the corn easier?
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Setting up feeder around high grass - 10/10/15 01:50 AM

I take my mower to my lease and mow around my feeders and out a good 15-20ft from the feeder. Once they realize there's groceries there, they'll stomp it down for you.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Setting up feeder around high grass - 10/10/15 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Rifleman1775
I take my mower to my lease and mow around my feeders and out a good 15-20ft from the feeder. Once they realize there's groceries there, they'll stomp it down for you.

This, and if you want a couple of 8' wide lanes about 20 yards long leading away from it
Posted By: Emmett

Re: Setting up feeder around high grass - 10/11/15 07:41 PM

I use the weed eater and cut the grass as low as I can, then the deer will keep it trampled down. I think by adding dirt you will just be feeding the grass or weeds.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Setting up feeder around high grass - 10/12/15 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Emmett
I use the weed eater and cut the grass as low as I can, then the deer will keep it trampled down. I think by adding dirt you will just be feeding the grass or weeds.

I do the same thing.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Setting up feeder around high grass - 10/12/15 03:53 PM

Weed eat it once on setup. After that, the animals will keep it trampled down and open. Mow a couple lanes where you want them and the deer will probably use them too.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Setting up feeder around high grass - 10/13/15 10:11 PM

If you have hogs at your lease... just throw the corn out, they'll take care of the grass problem around your feeder in very short order. You'll get bonus excavation services as well.

Charlie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum