Texas Hunting Forum

Funnel Very Tight inside 55gal. Drum

Posted By: Buckstalker

Funnel Very Tight inside 55gal. Drum - 08/19/14 03:46 PM

I am having fits trying to insert a Moultrie funnel in the bottom of a metal 55gal. drum. It is very tight and I can't get it into position. Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem with this funnel? Thanks
Posted By: bholt

Re: Funnel Very Tight inside 55gal. Drum - 08/19/14 04:11 PM

As someone who has installed many of these I can appreciate your frustration. I like to use the HCR funnels on my equipment because they not only fit snug/tight. They also have a 6" flat bottom which keeps the from slipping side to side out of position. I would block up the barrel and find something that will contour to the bottom of the funnel, then "tap" it into position until it fits through the hole. I use a piece of 4X6" wood about 3' long on mine tapping the bottom from side until it is seated. I assume Moultrie does not have a flat bottom so you might try using round such as PVC 3-4"capped with a 2" adapter then insert a piece of 2" PVC pipe to strike on.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Funnel Very Tight inside 55gal. Drum - 08/19/14 05:17 PM

I put mine in the barrel sideways, run it to the bottom of the barrel, then turn it into position. Tap the edges with a 2x4 to get it in final place.

Charlie
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Funnel Very Tight inside 55gal. Drum - 08/19/14 05:35 PM

Not all barrels are 55 gallons or the same diameter.
Posted By: Buckstalker

Re: Funnel Very Tight inside 55gal. Drum - 08/20/14 03:22 PM

Thanks for the input. It was a Wildlife Innovations funnel and not Moultrie. I finally found something that worked. I used a crosscut saw to cut a slit down the funnel and it worked great. The funnel is thick enough to overlap and still be strong enough.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Funnel Very Tight inside 55gal. Drum - 08/22/14 03:34 PM

Good to hear you got it in.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Funnel Very Tight inside 55gal. Drum - 08/22/14 04:08 PM

One of my buddies favorite quotes... "if it aint tight it aint right"

A little snug is better than loose. Glad you got it in.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Funnel Very Tight inside 55gal. Drum - 08/22/14 04:10 PM

Yep I had the same problem on my feeder. It is extremely tight and actually not down far enough really. The coons and pigs have a field day bumping it. Have to redo it one of these days.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum