Texas Hunting Forum

Wasp!

Posted By: Tinkle

Wasp! - 08/06/14 09:40 PM

Every year I always go to check on the stand to get it ready for deer season and every time there's a huge wasp nest in there! What are things that I can put in there or do to make sure they don't get in.

I have sliding plexiglass windows on my stand.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Wasp! - 08/06/14 10:14 PM

ProZap Pest Strips will kill them overnight but won't stop them from coming in. Spray windows and door edges with DemonWP will kill them also. I have used the Pest Strips for the last 25 yrs or so now.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Wasp! - 08/06/14 10:24 PM

OT, but nowadays, I'm more worried about wasps in the feeders. One got me last year as you cannot see them until they're already in your face. In a blind, I have more room and can spray them from outside the door.

What STX suggested gets pretty good reviews too.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 12:31 AM

Why not just caulk any cracks in the corners and get a roll or peel & stick weather stripping for the door and windows so the darn things can't get in the blind anyway?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-...R538H/100189634

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 03:27 PM

I can't caulk the cracks since its one of those stands that you can disassemble so you can move it easier. I would caulk it but don't know how much longer I'm gonna hunt the land I'm on.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Tinkle
I can't caulk the cracks since its one of those stands that you can disassemble so you can move it easier. I would caulk it but don't know how much longer I'm gonna hunt the land I'm on.

Caulk it with Clear Silicone caulk - after it dries, run a utility-knife (razor-sharp) thru the middle of the bead when you need to move it; you will be able to easily disassemble, and won't need to re-caulk it again!
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 03:55 PM

I think I learned it here, if not someone told me...

Paint the inside of the blind black... so far (3 yrs) it's worked great!

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 04:25 PM

Ok awesome, thank you for all of the advice.

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 04:26 PM

Did you use regular paint or spray paint for the inside of the blind?

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 05:30 PM

I used spray paint.

But WARNING you get a "bonus" when you are in a 4x6 box using spray paint. If it's a elevated stand you can just fly down.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 05:34 PM

BURN IT

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

I think I've read on here too that you'll do well by painting the ceiling a sky-ish blue.
Posted By: EdRoth

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

My entire inside of my stand is black, still get yellow jackets every year. Dove opening weekend I always bomb the hell out of my blind with flying insect specific foggers. After I keep a can of spray in the stand and coat the windows. They will fly up to the windows but never fly in. Works every season

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 06:26 PM

when I hunt a blind that's not mine I sometimes take a ping pong paddle with me...
it gives me something to do when I'm not seeing deer. (of course I might not be seeing deer because I'm too busy swattin wasp...)
Posted By: Regretzi

Re: Wasp! - 08/07/14 06:53 PM

Get some of the ball and chains panty house and put moth balls in them and hang them in the blind. It works and I've never had a problem with the deer caring either.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Wasp! - 08/08/14 05:27 PM

I never have wasp in my blind and it's painted black inside, never thought that's the reason why, but who knows. I always spray the entire blind with repellent anyways in September and October just to keep them from coming in while I'm inside.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Wasp! - 08/08/14 07:44 PM

Hunted out of a black blind for years and always had wasps. The black paint is a myth, you guys just have tight blinds.

I just mush them with my pocket knife.

This weekend was swapping out TC chips and there was a nest in the camera box... one of those little buggers stung me through my shirt, direct hit on my nipple dang that smarted.
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Wasp! - 08/09/14 03:19 AM

When my kids started hunting with me I started using ortho. It is odorless and works great. No wasp or spiders etc.
Posted By: PWT

Re: Wasp! - 08/09/14 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
BURN IT

Yep
Posted By: Texas Bohunk

Re: Wasp! - 08/20/14 02:32 PM

I just sprayed mine with Wasp spray. I used to spray early spring with something like malethon or diazanon. Don't think these are available now, might use some home pest spray.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Wasp! - 08/20/14 03:55 PM

try leaving moth balls inside...

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Wasp! - 08/20/14 04:19 PM

I actually searched this on here last week and couldn't find it but I believe last year in a similar thread somebody mentioned a trap made out of a 2 liter bottle. Does this ring a bell for anyone?
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Wasp! - 08/20/14 04:36 PM

I hate wasp and scorpions worse that rattle bugs and would rather deal with those than a dang wasp i know thats sounds dumb.
Posted By: killabooner

Re: Wasp! - 08/31/14 02:19 AM

You can make a wasp/bee trap by cutting the top few inches off of a 2 liter bottle and reversing it into the lower portion like a funnel and stapling it in place. Just leave some of the drink or other sweet liquid in the bottom. It works great on honey bees.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wasp! - 09/04/14 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
ProZap Pest Strips will kill them overnight but won't stop them from coming in. Spray windows and door edges with DemonWP will kill them also. I have used the Pest Strips for the last 25 yrs or so now.

These are the only things that works for us.
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: Wasp! - 09/13/14 04:38 AM

Had the same same issue last year. Unfortunately we didn't notice them until later in the morning when it started to warm up. The wife and daughter were in the blind with me. They freaked out and almost sent the wasp into attack mode.

Fortunately it was cold that morning and I was able to kill the wasp. Unfortunately the wife refused to stay in the blind and stepped out and came face to face with the only deer that showed up that morning.....end of hunt frown
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Wasp! - 09/13/14 05:22 PM

Last year was a fiasco at my blind the day before opening. Ended up running into town for a couple of cans of wasp killer and enjoyed a few minutes of frantic self-defense with the stuff.

I'm trying a Hot Shot No-Pest-Strip this year. I don't know if it will work yet, but I'll know in seven weeks.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Wasp! - 09/14/14 02:55 PM

Every year the same problem for me. Unless you want to spend a crazy amount of time sealing up the blind accept and check the blind before you go to hunt I keep a can of the 20' spray wasp killer at each blind. Went to prep for the season last weekend and had to spray at least one nest in each blind.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Wasp! - 09/15/14 03:00 AM

Just have to deal with it. I have found that a sky blue ceiling helps, along with black walls. But it seems the plastic blinds that are black don't attract them as much. Anyway, we put a fogger in the blind in September, and then again in Early October. Seems to work for us.
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Wasp! - 09/16/14 07:24 PM

My blind had a huge nest in it when I checked it yesterday. I was able to throw in a box of moth balls. I'll check it again in two weeks and bring some spray. Last year, though, after the moth balls they were long gone. Plus, I'm convinced the nasty smell masks your smell barf
Posted By: rarjar

Re: Wasp! - 09/16/14 08:25 PM

Here's what I found in one of my stands a few years ago. Cracked door, threw in a can of bug bomb and 4 hours later they're all dead!

Re: Wasp! - 09/16/14 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: rarjar
Here's what I found in one of my stands a few years ago. Cracked door, threw in a can of bug bomb and 4 hours later they're all dead!

eeks333
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Wasp! - 09/16/14 10:35 PM

OK you win
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Wasp! - 09/17/14 01:25 AM

flehan x2 you win
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Wasp! - 09/18/14 11:35 PM

Check for wasps on the cold mornings....then use wasp spray. They sure like building nests under chairs.
As in rarjar's photo.

Re: Wasp! - 09/22/14 07:19 PM

I usually use a fogger each year in September, just didn't know if there was anything that would keep them out for good. I think last year I piled up about 50 or 60 dead wasps during my first hunt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum