Texas Hunting Forum

Opinions on moving / changing blind windows (Pic added 2/21)

Posted By: donswin

Opinions on moving / changing blind windows (Pic added 2/21) - 02/21/13 03:39 AM

I bought a trailer blind last year. It is everything I expected except the windows are too low. They are 36" from the floor & I'm more comfortable with a 42" window. (Floor to bottom of the window).

The present windows are 8 1/2" high and 24" wide.

I was going to raise them and fill the gap by screwing more corrugated roofing on it & painting it to match. However, that would leave obvious patchwork that may make it difficult to sell later.

Another option is to cut the windows to 12" high and replace the present plexiglass windows with some factory made ones. If I got the swing-up type, I could place a 4" shooting rest in the window sill & have the height I want while retaining the integrity of the blind's appearance.

What would you do?

Any other suggestions?

(I'm kicking myself now for not taking a picture. I won't be back out there for a couple of weeks).

Thanks!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Opinions on moving / changing blind windows - 02/21/13 03:56 AM

I like the idea of replacing the windows with Prefab ones.

If you decide to patch it, do it right and remove the metal from the corner all the way back to the window, install the new metal cut to the right length and reinstall the removed metal with new screws that are slightly larger in diameter. Should give you what you want and not look like a patch job.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Opinions on moving / changing blind windows - 02/21/13 04:01 AM

i'd fix it like i wanted it to
be. you must have spent too much
on it if you're hesitant about
altering it to hunt better out of it.

i only want one window in my blind.
i spent too many years trying to watch
360 degrees all day and surely missed
seeing something and likely scared deer
trying to be a swivel head. i just want
a nice 90 degree field of fire in front of me
and i'll be happy.

good luck

Re: Opinions on moving / changing blind windows - 02/21/13 04:46 AM

The price was right. It is on a 4X8 Tractor Supply trailer and double corrugated metal construction (I need to blow in some insulating foam). It has some other extras that make it very comfortable to hunt from.

I may go to a tower blind in the fall and sell it. If I do, I want it to look nice for the next guy.

Patching correctly would be more of a job than I hoped for without pulling it back home. I can cut the windows bigger & screw in pre-fabs (like the DeerView Windows) at the lease.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Opinions on moving / changing blind windows - 02/21/13 04:55 PM

Why not just make a shorter chair?
Posted By: Legal Enough

Re: Opinions on moving / changing blind windows - 02/21/13 06:12 PM

Those adjustable height office chairs will go pretty low.
I had the exact opposite problem once.
We had a carpenter at the ranch build a blind for us. The windows were 5 feet from the floor. He built it to shoot while standing up, I couldn't even see out from a bar stool. My kids couldn't see out at all. We had to remodel.

Re: Opinions on moving / changing blind windows - 02/21/13 08:36 PM

I presently have an adjustable office chair. I had to take the wheels off and put it at its lowest setting and still have to stoop a bit to aim. I also put the shortest director's chair I had in there & it works ok. I would like to be able to use a regular office chair like I have in my other blind. It is so much more comfortable.

I found a picture of my trailer blind:

I think I may just make the windows taller & go with the Deerview Camo Hinge Windows to replace the present shorter ones. For a rifle rest, I can carpet a piece of 4X4 the width of the windows and set it in place while hunting.

I don't want to have to do any major changes to the exterior metal. That would add joints and possible leaks. It stays dry right now.

Thanks for all the input. I'm still open for anything that would be easier.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum