Texas Hunting Forum

BEES

Posted By: earl 2011tdymc9

BEES - 08/18/11 03:04 AM

I am new to the forum and this will possibly be my one and only post. I have seen numerous post about bees in the game feeders here in Texas. I have been a bee keeper for 55 years . But in this draught here in Texas, you will find bees in anything that has sweet in it. any type of feed that is mixed usually has some type of sugar in it. corn has a natural sugar. with all the plants weeds and flowers dead the bees will feed off of anything around. watch out if you disturb them, you can have several thousand feeding in a large feeder, they are not likely building a hive, as they have to be able to regulate the temp. they can cause death too many stings. be careful.
th

Posted By: 36757

Re: BEES - 08/18/11 03:18 AM

Thanks for the information.

Posted By: Fyrfyter

Re: BEES - 08/18/11 04:23 AM

confused2

Posted By: Buckfvr

Re: BEES - 08/18/11 04:32 AM

scratch

Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: BEES - 08/18/11 04:42 AM

welcome....worthless

Posted By: Big.Man

Re: BEES - 08/18/11 05:04 AM

peep

Posted By: Pointer

Re: BEES - 08/18/11 05:19 AM

Bees are one of the things that are out there in the brush that scare the peewaddle out of me. Not enough to keep me home, but every year, you hear about people and dogs in our area getting stung hundreds of times. Gives me the heebeegeebees. I've had a reaction to wasp stings, but never bee stings. Still, I am just saying...

Posted By: Big.Man

Re: BEES - 08/18/11 05:24 AM

if u ever get stinged put a drop of clorox on the sting and that will du!!!for the pain!!

Posted By: aeb

Re: BEES - 08/18/11 12:50 PM

I find bees in the bed of my feed truck feeding on the spilled cattle cubes each morning. The corn and molasses make good attractants. One protein feeder had a lot of bees several weeks ago but they moved on after a few days. Come to think of it, I have not had bees around the feeders since switching over to the peanut based Red Chain pellets. These pellets also have molasses but maybe not as much as in my previous pellets?

Posted By: YankeeATX

Re: BEES - 08/18/11 02:11 PM

I went to refill one of my feeders one year and just when i got the lid off the bees where attacking me, one after another got my face and neck area, i jumped down throat swollen it was hard to breathe, got back to camp and lucky for me i always carry benedril in my ammo box. i popped a few benedril and shortly after i went back and killed all them damn bees.
Deep in the woods you better have something to take the swelling down or you might just have some serious problems.

Posted By: USMarine

Re: BEES - 08/19/11 09:16 PM

My RV has or had the bees this year in it. Not sure if I killed them all yet or not. They were entering through the electric plus cover. Now usually this is closed but the UV finally got to it and it fell off. I believe they have already built a hive. I accessed the lower area underneath the beds using a side door on the opposite side and set off a bomb. Came back an hour later after filling the feeder and I had a ball of bees on the outside of my trailer as big as a volleyball. Went back the next weekend and bees were coming and going as if I hadn't been there. This time I eased up to the side of the trailer and plugged to entery exit and then set off another bomb. That was last weekend, going back and I am afraid when I lift up the table bed I am going to find a big a$$ honey mess. Or worse, get the sh it stung out of me.

Posted By: aeb

Re: BEES - 08/19/11 11:52 PM

Every time I go by my dog's water trough, there will be 50+ bees on it. He and the tom cat seem to coexist pretty peaceful with them. so I leave well enough alone. Not sure why they have zeroed in on the dog trough. The horse trough is about 50 yards away. I figure they are coming from the creek below the house which is now bone dry. Nearest water is 1/2 mile away.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: BEES - 08/20/11 03:54 AM

Welcome to the forum

Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: BEES - 08/20/11 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: USMarine
My RV has or had the bees this year in it. Not sure if I killed them all yet or not. They were entering through the electric plus cover. Now usually this is closed but the UV finally got to it and it fell off. I believe they have already built a hive. I accessed the lower area underneath the beds using a side door on the opposite side and set off a bomb. Came back an hour later after filling the feeder and I had a ball of bees on the outside of my trailer as big as a volleyball. Went back the next weekend and bees were coming and going as if I hadn't been there. This time I eased up to the side of the trailer and plugged to entery exit and then set off another bomb. That was last weekend, going back and I am afraid when I lift up the table bed I am going to find a big a$$ honey mess. Or worse, get the sh it stung out of me.

Try using seven dust. Our ranch manager developed a delivery system using a PVC pipe and small air compressor, an air hose is connected to one end of a 3-ft piece of 2" pipe, he fills the pipe with 7 dust, Points it towards the hive, turns the air valve and there you have it. It usually takes a little while to work but it eventually gets them all including the queen.

Posted By: USMarine

Re: BEES - 08/21/11 11:24 AM

If they are still there I will try this. Should be no problem to access for the shot.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum