Texas Hunting Forum

Cheapest way to build a blind..

Posted By: RedTrail

Cheapest way to build a blind.. - 07/15/11 07:20 AM

I have built many of my own box blinds with little or no cost. Best way is to find a new subdivision with a lot of new construction. Get with the builder of the subdivision and ask if you can use the scrap material for your own deer stand. A lot of times builders pay someone to remove the scrap, and are sometimes charged by the weight or just do not care about the excess material. You can even offer to dump the material for them and keep the scraps. Check your local yard for prices. You can find all you need from scrap studs, plywood / OSB, shingles, joist hangers, Hardy board, etc...

Second get with the framers after getting permission to get them on the same page. Sometimes they will even stack the excess good material separate for you to make your job easier. I have had them stack it in the garage for me for a few bucks or some beer. Make sure they are through with the house though. I built 2 box blinds (4x4x6 on 4ft posts) with 2-18 foot lean-to ladder stands for a total of $100 bucks. This included spray on pressure treatment(use the one for wood treatment for docks), deck screws, nails, hinges, and paint. They've lasted 5 years.

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Cheapest way to build a blind.. - 07/15/11 08:41 PM

Right on! We built a nice blind with left-ove materials and cost was only what te generator ran in fuel out in the pasture. I've got lumber stacked in the shop and tin just waiting to be hung on a new blind. Pics later.

Posted By: SplitTimeHunter

Re: Cheapest way to build a blind.. - 07/17/11 02:12 AM

Stack some mesquite limbs and sit quietly with the wind in your face.

Posted By: deedeetaylor

Re: Cheapest way to build a blind.. - 07/17/11 08:59 PM

I'm gonna try to build a blind using wood pallets and other savaged materials. I started looking around today and in no time found 5 discarded pallets and a pile of 36" 4 x 4s. I don't have a plan yet...gonna search for more materials and then lay it all out on the lawn and see what I can do with it. As I want this to be a substantial structure, I'll probably incorporate wood I purchase from Home Depot.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum