Texas Hunting Forum

Camp hatchet

Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Camp hatchet - 03/26/23 03:18 AM

What do y’all use? Looking for something quality with a good steel, keeps an edge, lighter in weight and packable.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/26/23 03:23 AM

Fiskers checks all the boxes, and they're cheap.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/26/23 09:18 AM

Hults Bruk is what the cool kids prefer. Not exactly cheap though.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/26/23 01:11 PM

I’d go with Fiskars, but Stihl has one you might want to look at. I still have my Boy Scout hatchet.

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/26/23 02:38 PM

Thanks for the responses.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/26/23 03:49 PM

Picked up a nice one at Ace Hardware in Lampasas a few years ago. Does a good job splitting sticks for my smoker.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/26/23 05:22 PM

You have a Woodmans Pal don’t you? What do you do that it wouldn’t do?
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/26/23 05:54 PM

Gerber makes some decent small axes.

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/26/23 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
You have a Woodmans Pal don’t you? What do you do that it wouldn’t do?

Yes, I do. But like knives, guns and potato chips, nobody can have just one… roflmao cheers
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/27/23 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
What do y’all use? Looking for something quality with a good steel, keeps an edge, lighter in weight and packable.

The snivel about light hatchets is they can't do the work a heavier one can. I got a pretty little Schrade hatchet that is only really good for fireplace kindling, too much work breaking down anything bigger than 6 inches across. Belive it or not Harbor Freight has a couple of usable cheap hatchets for sale.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/27/23 02:43 PM

I use a True Temper Tommy Axe. You'll have to find one used on Ebay or wherever, but they are common and not expensive. I like it for camping because it has a hardened poll that you can use as a hammer for tent stakes and has a nail puller for tent stakes.

Not mine, but just like it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/27/23 03:48 PM

define pacakable?
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/27/23 04:26 PM

This game changer is packable, versatile and the handle doesn't often break on you when you need it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/27/23 04:28 PM

I have the Estwing Axe and hatchet on hand at camp at all times. My axe is probably 30 years old. they can take a beating thats for sure. The hatchet I've only had a few years

Re: Camp hatchet - 03/27/23 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
This game changer is packable, versatile and the handle doesn't often break on you when you need it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
I have the Estwing Axe and hatchet on hand at camp at all times. My axe is probably 30 years old. they can take a beating thats for sure. The hatchet I've only had a few years

I used one of their hammers for roofing and framing. Used it so much I had a new waffle head cut into it. They last forever for sure.

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

define pacakable?

Something I can put into or attach to a backpack without being too bulky or heavy. As was mentioned, I have a Woodmans Pro that will go on my belt.
Posted By: DustyArmadillo

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/12/23 03:16 AM

Thank me later up

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-small-forest-axe/

Seriously though, these are great axes and mine goes with me everywhere
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/17/23 06:15 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/17/23 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
[Linked Image]

That looks like a good one!
Posted By: JCB

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/18/23 10:37 PM

Estwing Sportsmans Axe. They call it an axe but I call it a hatchet. Its about 12" long, solid one piece stainless steel, and made in USA. There are Estwings that are 100 years old this year and still in use. Its a time tested proven design. I like the polymer handle hatchets if its going to be a 100% carry hatchet just due to weight, but for a carry/camp axe there has never been a better one made than the Estwing.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/19/23 01:13 AM

I’ve never needed a hatchet. I have an old double bit axe and a chainsaw. Just wondering. I don’t pack in to do anything anymore. I’m curious at what you will be using one for?
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/19/23 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
I’ve never needed a hatchet. I have an old double bit axe and a chainsaw. Just wondering. I don’t pack in to do anything anymore. I’m curious at what you will be using one for?

Had my Estwing out just this weekend. Was using it to hack away at brush situated where I didn't want it. Easy to cut it off right at the ground. I don't like those short handled ones like Trapper posted so mine does have a longer handle. Very effective. Lighter in the hands than the double bit axe and no messing with a chainsaw as referenced above.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/20/23 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster

I use to pack one for splitting pelvis’s and making kindling. I stop a) fire starters easier, B) i do everything gutless c) hatchet accidents in backcountry hurt…

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/20/23 01:02 PM

At this point I have watched hours upon hours of reviews and I have narrowed it down to the Estwing or the Fiskars. My Estwing hammer is 35+ years old.
Posted By: bigfootwolff

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/23/23 09:56 PM

I've got the Fiskars hatchet and also the Fiskars axe. Both are great, tough, and reasonably priced. Fiskars have a lifetime warranty and I like their blade geometry.

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/24/23 11:03 PM

Thanks Bigfoot.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/25/23 11:20 AM

I have the Fiskars. It's OK. One of the handsomest is the Vaughan 22-ounce Standard Half Hatchet, which sells for around $30.There's a fella who cleans these up, adds some patina to the steel and re-hafts them with straight hickory handles. Popular among the re-enactor crowd.
https://www.vaughanmfg.com/Products/SH2-22-oz-Standard-Half-Hatchet__20520.aspx

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/25/23 03:59 PM

I just got one of these battery operated mini chainsaws by Stihl two days ago. Havent used it a lot but I think its the cats meow. Definitely not a hatchet but Im not sure you need a hatchet if you have this. I have two small echo gas chainsaws, several loppers and many machete/hatchet type things. For zipping around the deer lease and around the house this will be my new go to. Its mostly a massive improvement in convenience. You can get a little holster and easily climb trees with it hands free. I plan to leave it on the seat or floor board beside me and grab as needed. Hope the link below works.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/gardening-tools/battery-hand-tools/gta26/

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/25/23 07:15 PM

That’s interesting freerange. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/25/23 07:37 PM

I know it was kinda off topic but I’ve found on here that as much is learned when someone slightly goes off topic than from the topic. For instance, I don’t need a hatchet but I followed this thread and if I didnt know about the saw I would of jumped all over checking it out.
I just used it a minute ago. There’s some small limbs in my way where i occasionally park my truck but never took time to dig out anything to cut them. This thing is so handy I just grabbed it and cut them lickity split. It’s all about the convenience.

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/25/23 10:12 PM

I know it was kinda off topic but I’ve found on here that as much is learned when someone slightly goes off topic than from the topic. For instance, I don’t need a hatchet but I followed this thread and if I didnt know about the saw I would of jumped all over checking it out.
I just used it a minute ago. There’s some small limbs in my way where i occasionally park my truck but never took time to dig out anything to cut them. This thing is so handy I just grabbed it and cut them lickity split. It’s all about the convenience.

I get it, I had no idea your little saw even existed. Again, thanks for sharing.

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/25/23 11:01 PM

Is it self oiling?

Re: Camp hatchet - 06/25/23 11:18 PM

No it is not self oiling and that’s the only drawback I see. I like easy idiot proof stuff but I’ve already bought a canvas bag to keep it, charger, manual, extra chain and battery as needed so I’ll just keep lube handy and you just dribble it on chain/bar.
Posted By: 20bore

Re: Camp hatchet - 07/05/23 11:20 PM

Get something made in the USA.
Council Tool
Vaughan
Estwing
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum