Texas Hunting Forum

Best cellular game cam, go!

Posted By: elephantman

Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/13/21 07:16 PM

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this in the next day or so. I'm on Verizon and hunting in Atoka County Oklahoma where I'm in "extended service area".
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/13/21 07:22 PM

I just ordered 2 Reveal Tactacams from Cabelas, off Hudbone's recommendation .

No 1st hand experience yet, but many on here swear by them.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/13/21 07:31 PM

I've ran RidgeTec, Snyper, Reveal X and the older Moultrie cell cameras the last 3 seasons...I've still not found one I'd run longer than a season. This year I'm running the Reveal X...it's very stable but the pictures aren't good...but they are cheap so it's a bit easier to stomach the downfalls.

Next I'll likely try Stealth or Covert...unless something better hits the market.

Best pictures of those and it's not even close is the Snyper...but the company is too small and don't know how development lifecycles work and was testing stuff in production...interpret, downtime that normally required to be at the camera to reset.
Best app the RidgeTec and it's not even close but they are power hogs.
Best price - Reveal and older Moultrie.

I want one that has the stability of the Reveal X and Moultrie, with pictures of the Snyper and app of the RidgeTec at this point...pretty sure that doesn't exist right now.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/13/21 09:19 PM

My RidgeTec is on it's second season and hasn't skipped a beat. Like Judd said, their app is awesome and they are power hogs, but I fixed that with a solar 12v set-up. One of the best things is that it comes with both AT&T and Verizon SIMs so you can use the one that has the best coverage in your area.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/13/21 09:36 PM

We have 5 Spartans running on ours. We ended up going to solar and a battery box. Have had no issues for 2 plus years on the same cameras.

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/13/21 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
My RidgeTec is on it's second season and hasn't skipped a beat. Like Judd said, their app is awesome and they are power hogs, but I fixed that with a solar 12v set-up. One of the best things is that it comes with both AT&T and Verizon SIMs so you can use the one that has the best coverage in your area.

Both of mine had to go back to Anthony...he's great dude and good to work with...he stood behind them both. Now, having said that...there were 8 others on the lease and I've been the one with issues, the others have been near flawless if you take the cow incidents out of it roflmao
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/14/21 11:59 AM

The battery life in the Tactacam Reveal cameras has been great. They utilize either AT&T or Verizon and you pick whichever one is best for where you place the camera. Here's an example of a Tactacam photo delivered to my phone -

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kry226

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/14/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by kry226

Both of mine had to go back to Anthony...he's great dude and good to work with...he stood behind them both. Now, having said that...there were 8 others on the lease and I've been the one with issues, the others have been near flawless if you take the cow incidents out of it roflmao

Beef can be expensive... grin

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/15/21 08:52 PM

[Linked Image]

Example of a crappy picture…this is the HD version that I actually requested and paid a dime for grin
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/15/21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by elephantman
I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this in the next day or so. I'm on Verizon and hunting in Atoka County Oklahoma where I'm in "extended service area".
First thing is to make sure the camera has the best provider signal for your hunting area - doesn't matter what cell phone plan you have. The Tactacam is going to provide the best picture. I am running Spypoints and they are fine so far - easy to set up, good battery life, good antenna. Picture quality delivered to your phone isn't the best, but you can always pull the SD card when at the ranch to look at pictures in a higher quality if needed.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/15/21 10:39 PM

I experimented with a SpyPoint Cell-link to use on my existing trail cameras I own. I now have two of them and both are Nationwide Cellular plans that work in both ATT and Verizon areas. If I have one bar of signal they will send pics. The more pics the slower they send them but they send them. Both cams average 100+ photos per day and I get from 5-7 weeks out of set of batteries in the Cell Link and cams still use the same as they did before. I have used the Cell-link on Primos, Spypoint, Tasco, Bushnell and I think on Wildgame Innovations. The old cheap Primos Truth Cam 35 took the best photos, Bushnell and Tasco take okay photos. But with of them I use lower resolution to preserve battery life, so the pics are grainy. Slow trigger speed cameras cause motion blurr...nothing but really fast trigger/shutter speed will stop that. Higher resolution is not going to help that. Sun direction to the camera effects quality also. I try to face due north or due south for best pics. With my cams now the much drier climate and day time heating cause the camera lens to fog up in the mornings with the lower temps and dew points. Back drop effect quality of pics. The camera in these pics is facing slightly uphill and the slope is falling left to right so there is sky in the background. This causes bad lighting for morning and evening pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/19/21 02:25 AM

Here is an HD download to my cell phone. This is Tactacam Reveal X. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/19/21 02:30 AM

Dumb ?

How,do,you get the reveal x to com in HD’?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/19/21 02:35 AM

I’ve run covert wireless cameras for 5 years now. Yes a little more expensive but worth it and customer service is great. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/19/21 04:23 PM

are those 3 foot tall panels?
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/20/21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Dumb ?

How,do,you get the reveal x to com in HD’?

You buy a "package" of set number of photos of your choosing to be delivered in HD
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/21/21 10:50 AM

I have five of the covert Blackhawk cell cameras. I have had them running nearly a year and am impressed with them. No issues with the cameras or the app so far. I can’t say they are the best because I have nothing to compare them to but I like them.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/22/21 02:51 AM

I ran covert for 4 years without an issue until they switched from 3g to 4g and my cameras became obsolete. I switched to save money Two years ago I switched back to covert.
The cameras cost a little more but the picture subscription is very reasonable.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 10/22/21 03:14 PM

Using Covert mainly, 3 years and all is well.
Posted By: Learnin to fish

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/10/21 02:31 PM

I bought two Stealth Cams last year and am really disappointed in them. Looks like I will be trying the Covert or Tactacam next. I’ll do some research and decide soon. I live on 8 acres and have hogs showing up again and need the camera to alert me as to when the hogs show up. I have a Moultrie regular game camera that does just fine recording the daily and nightly events, I just need instant updates as to when the hogs show up so I can go shoot them.

Here is a picture from last night. Stealth cam is right next to the Moultrie and didn’t pick this huge hog up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/10/21 05:16 PM

Ridgetec is coming out with a couple of new cameras, one with a higher mp camera and another that is targeted towards the budget minded crowd. I have an original Ridgetec camera, before they introduced the Dual, it has several years of 24/7 usage year round.

If they are competitively priced on the new models, I will be adding several more for both security and hunting usage.
Posted By: DoubleDrop32

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/11/21 04:37 AM

Stealth cam has been great for me. I also run them with lithium solar panel power packs. No issues over the past 3 or 4 years. The app is much easier to use than others.
Posted By: Learnin to fish

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/11/21 03:46 PM

I can’t get my Stealth cams to trigger when an animal is in front of them. Very limited activity is picked up by them. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/14/21 03:22 PM

I'm having the same problem with my Stealth cam fusion. I would never buy another Stealth cam product, they have terrible customer service. I should say no customer service, I emailed them 2 months ago about a issue and no response and they put you on hold forever when you call.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/14/21 03:34 PM

I’ve had good luck with my Stealth Cam camera and when I had questions I received quick response.

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/17/21 10:04 PM

Has that been lately that you contacted Stealth cam?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/20/21 10:59 PM

I’ve gone to just 3 game cameras - a cheapie that the wife bought, a Browning, and a Tactacam Reveal SK. The cheapie takes poor pictures during the day and worthless shots at night. The Browning takes great day pics and Ok night pics. The Tactacam takes great day pics and decent night pics. What I like about the Browning and Tactacam is they they have plug connections for remote batteries or solar chargers. With adequate battery power, the Tactacam will run fine, but I had to go with a supplemental battery because the issue one faded fast. And the Tactacam sends pics to my iPad. I like that. It comes with ATT and Verizon SIM cards.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/24/21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
The battery life in the Tactacam Reveal cameras has been great. They utilize either AT&T or Verizon and you pick whichever one is best for where you place the camera. Here's an example of a Tactacam photo delivered to my phone -

[Linked Image]

Hudbone, I just installed a Reveal XK. It performs great, but it is swamping me with pictures! 260 last night!! I can't figure out how to lengthen the time between shots. Every 5 minutes will work just fine for me. Can you give me some help? If it's a lengthy process, go ahead and PM me so we don't bore the rest of the Forum members with this issue! Thanks!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/25/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by mikei
Originally Posted by Hudbone

[Linked Image]

Hudbone, I just installed a Reveal XK. It performs great, but it is swamping me with pictures! 260 last night!! I can't figure out how to lengthen the time between shots. Every 5 minutes will work just fine for me. Can you give me some help? If it's a lengthy process, go ahead and PM me so we don't bore the rest of the Forum members with this issue! Thanks!

Mine quit sending pictures yesterday. I bet the batteries are dead. Or something got mad at it. wife
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/25/21 06:38 PM

The Stealth cams are very sensitive to camera positioning / angle, so try changing things up. Try using a t post mount with wide range of angle adjustments like this Amazon T Post mount. I'm running four of them, and they work pretty well, once you learn to accommodate their **many** quirks. I can't exactly recommend them due to their many minor issues, but I've got mine working more-or-less correctly.

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/27/21 01:57 AM

https://elusivewildlife.com/shop/tr...camera-clamp-with-swivel-and-x-tend.html

I’ve had mounts like you are using syncerus, these are much sturdier and stable. Good luck!

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 12/27/21 04:00 PM

It seems to be a nice design, but I think they're out of business.

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 01/01/22 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sidebuster
I'm having the same problem with my Stealth cam fusion. I would never buy another Stealth cam product, they have terrible customer service. I should say no customer service, I emailed them 2 months ago about a issue and no response and they put you on hold forever when you call.

I finally talked to someone after 3 months and they sent me a new camera.

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 01/01/22 11:03 PM

[Linked Image]

Example of a crappy picture…this is the HD version that I actually requested and paid a dime for grin

What brand of feeder is that?
Posted By: mikei

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 01/02/22 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by syncerus

Which company do you think is out of business?

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 01/02/22 02:40 AM

[Linked Image]

https://www.facebook.com/Rockin2Ind/

Ramball36 on here owns and builds them. I’ve got 2 but we’ve got 11 on the lease, they’ve been great feeders. I did have corn build up in one of the motor boxes but some tape and a new motor fixed that issue.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 01/02/22 02:52 AM

just started a stealth cam tonight

so far so good, but I'm about 12 hours in lol

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 01/02/22 03:21 PM

[Linked Image]

https://www.facebook.com/Rockin2Ind/

Ramball36 on here owns and builds them. I’ve got 2 but we’ve got 11 on the lease, they’ve been great feeders. I did have corn build up in one of the motor boxes but some tape and a new motor fixed that issue.

Thanks

Re: Best cellular game cam, go! - 01/03/22 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by mikei
Originally Posted by syncerus

Which company do you think is out of business?

Kicked Outdoors.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum