Texas Hunting Forum

Machete

Posted By: Brother in-law

Machete - 07/25/21 07:50 PM

I want a machete to keep on my buggy, is there any recommendations?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Machete - 07/25/21 08:02 PM

Don't waste money on a cheap one. The last cheap ont that I bought lasted a day. I went ahead and bought premium last time. Topps knives machete. Been happy so far.

Re: Machete - 07/25/21 08:05 PM

https://www.topsknives.com/machete-230
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Machete - 07/25/21 08:07 PM

Have used one from harbor freight for 5 years. Don’t waste money on a nice one. Just freshen it up once a year.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Machete - 07/25/21 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

That’s pretty nice but maybe a little rich. I live in McKinney, not Frisco grin
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Machete - 07/25/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

That’s funny
Posted By: Single Shot

Re: Machete - 07/26/21 02:55 PM

I have used one of these for years. Heavy Blade and not flimsy like most machetes.
Dexter S112-12H

https://www.katom.com/135-04143.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6cnc2P2A8gIVJv7jBx1JqQ9CEAQYASABEgKpDfD_BwE
Posted By: freerange

Re: Machete - 07/26/21 05:49 PM

Make sure its actually a machete you want. Im no expert on this but a machete is mostly for cutting grass type stuff. If you want to cut anything with some size there may be better tools. I used to have something that worked great for mesquite limbs up to an inch or so, just cut with one whack. It looked like a machete except the blade was thick and had a special contour and shape. I lost track of it and have tried several times to buy what I thought was similar but none on them were like that first one.
I dont want to mess up this thread but if anyone has suggestion of what Im talking about I would still like to buy one.
Posted By: DoubleDrop32

Re: Machete - 07/28/21 02:54 AM

Cold steel makes great machetes
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Machete - 07/28/21 09:32 PM

Patrick I have a Woodman’s Pal. Want me to bring it next week?
Posted By: Schat

Re: Machete - 07/29/21 08:06 PM

Woodman’s Pal all day use
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Machete - 07/29/21 08:09 PM

Their not an expensive machete but I have several Gerbers and they work really well for what they are. I’ve been well pleased with them but I’m sure they make a lot better options available but if I loose one of these it’s not the end of the world.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Machete - 07/29/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Their not an expensive machete but I have several Gerbers and they work really well for what they are. I’ve been well pleased with them but I’m sure they make a lot better options available but if I loose one of these it’s not the end of the world.

Wisdom. I have a Gerber too. Good enough. I have a few other ancient ones, some inherited, laying around in various places. We had corporate gifts (logo embossed on the scabbard) made of Woodsman's Pals, and I kept one, but I never could get the hang of that thing; balanced weird or something.

Fun fact: "machete" is "panga" in Swahili. smile (See Mau Mau revolution. eek )

Re: Machete - 07/29/21 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

That’s funny

That is kinda funny. LOL. Buy once, cry once. That Tops Machete has some heft, and keeps and edge very well.

I do have a Gerber that I leave at the cabin in OK. They are very good for the $, but I don't like the serrated back edge.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Machete - 07/29/21 09:43 PM

I’m not a fan on the back edge of the Gerbers either but then again I have 3 side by sides that I can’t control who does what in at all times so if one comes up missing it’s not the end of the world. If I get in a situation where very much chopping is involved I’m bringing in the heavy equipment and running over the stuff verses chopping it so my oppinion may vary differently than others roflmao
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Machete - 07/30/21 12:40 AM

Have chopped many mesquite branches with my Gerber.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Machete - 07/31/21 01:10 AM

Harbor Freight
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Machete - 07/31/21 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dalee7892
Harbor Freight
[Linked Image]

These are worth the money. Cheap enough that I have several to keep in various vehicles and around the house, at the deer lease, etc. The flimsy part is the sheath. There are easy ways to make an insert that keeps the saw back from snagging on sheath when you are putting the machete back inside.
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Machete - 07/31/21 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
Make sure its actually a machete you want. Im no expert on this but a machete is mostly for cutting grass type stuff.

You can cut heavier stuff than grass with a machete. Heck, when I was a youngster, my buddies and I made forts out of chopped down pine trees using our trusty Japanese made K=Mart machetes. I still have mine but lost the original canvas sheath that it came with. They are a very versatile implement. I chop limbs and then whack the smaller growth off the sides with my machete.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Machete - 08/05/21 01:52 AM

Martingale-crocodile
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Machete - 09/14/21 02:48 AM

Kershaw makes a good one.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Machete - 09/15/21 03:21 AM

Harbor freight again as i just use for snakes
Posted By: maximum

Re: Machete - 09/15/21 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tblack032
Cold steel makes great machetes

This ^ ^ ^
As far as a balance between price and quality Cold Steel
has it whipped. The ones I have do the best job on briars
and saplings and limbs out of all the machetes I've had
including the one Collins I still have

That said, I bought all my Cold Steel products while Lynn
Thompson still owned and ran the company.
I don't know how the quality has changed since he sold
the company if at all
Posted By: DoubleDrop32

Re: Machete - 09/16/21 03:39 AM

Nothing has changed with new ownership. It actually has improved And Lynn is still involved FYI
Posted By: MeanMammal

Re: Machete - 10/04/21 06:33 PM

I have a 23" tramontina South American style machete that I found in the street in Houston. It probably fell off the back of a landscaping truck going over the railroad tracks. I have hacked through my fair share of South Texas brush with it.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Machete - 10/12/21 03:50 AM

First choice is the Fiskars brand, one of the18 inch and a 29 inch. Second choice is a Gerbers. 2 or 3 of the Harbor Freight for loaners. The 29 inch Fiskars is a killer, it is also doubles as an axe.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Machete - 10/23/21 04:44 PM

I have used the same machete for 25 years, it is a tramontina. I bought it at Ace Hardware in Huntsville, Tx. paid 24.95 as I recall.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Machete - 10/23/21 05:01 PM

Have used this one since 1978. Has done it all no problems, no dumbschitt sawteeth, 22 inches is the perfect length, blade holds an edge and is heavy enough to do the job.

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=17601&itemnum=33609
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Machete - 10/27/21 06:44 PM

Condor prang
On Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MC4AP0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WZTNJY75T18KVS8TB7T[s][/s]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Machete - 10/27/21 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
I have used the same machete for 25 years, it is a tramontina. I bought it at Ace Hardware in Huntsville, Tx. paid 24.95 as I recall.

That's what I use around the Ranch. They know how to make a machete.

I use mine weekly during the summer months and they hold up very well.

In fact, I bought some recently to send to my nephew's.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: freerange

Re: Machete - 10/28/21 02:23 AM

Everyone’s useage plans can be different and I knew how I would use the Woodmans Pal I talked 603 out of.
Tonight I moved this trailer blind in tight to this old grown up windmill spot. Until I got it cleared some and leveled, it was a chore climbing up using both the blind ladder and windmill ladder.
- With my smaller and handier Wiodmans Pal on my belt I trimmed away as I went up.
-I used the “hook” end to pull away pesky vines.
-When I got inside I used the flat end to scoop out all the owl crap from a year of open air windows.
-When I got down and leveled the outrigger feet thingys, I used the blunt edge to tighten the hand bolt things on the outriggers.
That was just today……
[Linked Image]
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Machete - 11/17/21 02:18 PM

I've had good luck with the Gerber Gator machetes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum