Texas Hunting Forum

Shortages everywhere

Posted By: Hudbone

Shortages everywhere - 04/26/21 01:01 PM

Need new snake boots. Checked out five different kinds only to find out none in my size available.

Went to Cabelas for first time in long time. I remember when there were rows of ammo. Now they have it in a cordoned off area with some odd ball rifle ammo on one side of the single shelf set with more oddball shotgun shells on the reverse. No pistol ammo of any kind.
[Linked Image]

Went to Camping World. Ammo situation was similar, but they actually had a larger supply of pistols than at Cabelas.

Strange world we live in.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/26/21 01:20 PM

The supply chain is totally dysfunctional right now. The real cost of the crazy shutdowns is really starting to be made clear.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/26/21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
The supply chain is totally dysfunctional right now. The real cost of the crazy shutdowns is really starting to be made clear.

I agree, its been a delayed reaction but we’re now getting the full effect of all the shutdowns. Hopefully things start looking up in the near future.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/26/21 01:56 PM

We are planning to start building our new home on our place, and I even had the pad built recently, but with the way things are right now, think we will delay construction until things settle down. Was told the prices of materials are moving so quick that bids on some items are only vaild for a week. Was also told be a local builder that materials are running about 40% over what they were getting last Fall. I don't want to pay 40% over for the build and going to gamble that they begin to come back down over the next 6 - 9 months. They may not come all the way back down, but we are in no hurry and if we have to wait a year, so be it. Fingers crossed...
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/26/21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dalroo
We are planning to start building our new home on our place, and I even had the pad built recently, but with the way things are right now, think we will delay construction until things settle down. Was told the prices of materials are moving so quick that bids on some items are only vaild for a week. Was also told be a local builder that materials are running about 40% over what they were getting last Fall. I don't want to pay 40% over for the build and going to gamble that they begin to come back down over the next 6 - 9 months. They may not come all the way back down, but we are in no hurry and if we have to wait a year, so be it. Fingers crossed...

We are building a house now, and I can say that prices are pretty ridiculous. Luckily, we signed the contract with the builder before things went TOO sky high, locking in prices (good for us, bad for him). I think it's wise to hold off for a few months....I keep hearing that lumber mills should start catching up, hopefully that's true...
Posted By: presley

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/26/21 06:12 PM

3 of my friends have had their contracts cancelled by builders. They arent going to take the hit and they know they can sell to someone else at higher prices. Sucks.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/28/21 10:20 PM

Saw a report today that a shortage of truck drivers could create a gas shortage and higher gas prices as people begin traveling more over the summer months.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/28/21 11:27 PM

How does a shortage of truck drivers create a gas shortage?
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/28/21 11:55 PM

Fuel tankers are currently parked due to lack of qualified drivers to drive tankers. Gonna get worse.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/29/21 12:33 AM

It is not just fuel tankers parked, there are lots of oil tankers and freight tankers off the coast of California waiting to get to the Dock and unload but they cannot, last I read there were at least 35 cargo tankers in que to unload at LA. Plus enough fuel tankers to run the country for a while. Drivers and California Wu-Hu-Flu regulations are part of the cause.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/29/21 12:41 AM

Why is there a shortage of drivers?

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/29/21 12:01 PM

There are worker shortages all over here - along all business lines. Pandemic relief benefits generous enough were somes choose not to work in gainful employment.

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/29/21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
There are worker shortages all over here - along all business lines. Pandemic relief benefits generous enough were somes choose not to work in gainful employment.

Yea, stupid me I guess. I was well aware(hate it) of the benefits keeping people from working but it just didnt occur to me it was so wide spread to effect truck drivers. My background is in the Restaurant industry and I knew it was real prevalent in that wage range. Thanks.
Posted By: Huskerron

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/29/21 07:18 PM

I agree with everything said regarding the supply chain. I do take exception to the truck driver shortage having anything to do with the pandemic. I retired from Freightliner at the start of 2017. There has been an extreme shortage of drivers since way before then. Job pays well but no one wants to do it. Especially for a job that pretty much a CDL is the main requirement. The problem is for long haul truckers it’s very hard on family life. It can be very stressful in bad weather, etc. If you want to see how serious it is. Post on a job search site that you hav a CDL and are looking for work as a driver. Or if you’re ornery post the name of someone you don’t like on there. You will ruin their life for about a month because those recruiters won’t take no for an answer.

Re: Shortages everywhere - 04/29/21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Huskerron
I agree with everything said regarding the supply chain. I do take exception to the truck driver shortage having anything to do with the pandemic. I retired from Freightliner at the start of 2017. There has been an extreme shortage of drivers since way before then. Job pays well but no one wants to do it. Especially for a job that pretty much a CDL is the main requirement. The problem is for long haul truckers it’s very hard on family life. It can be very stressful in bad weather, etc. If you want to see how serious it is. Post on a job search site that you hav a CDL and are looking for work as a driver. Or if you’re ornery post the name of someone you don’t like on there. You will ruin their life for about a month because those recruiters won’t take no for an answer.

Very interesting. I continue to be amazed at how much stuff I learn on this forum.

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/03/21 10:16 AM

Went to purchase new snake boots on line. Don't want camo. Went to my usual and none in my size. Went to next choice and none in my size. Did that three ore times. Guess I will wait.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/03/21 06:02 PM

I see now hiring signs and flyers all over. Most of our local mom and pop restaurants have gone to some really restricted hours and days because they cannot hire people to work. The stimulus bs needs to stop before it ever started and people need to get the F back to work.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/03/21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Why is there a shortage of drivers?

Biden's got'em locked up in detention camps

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/04/21 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Huskerron

I took early retirement over two years ago when I was just 60 and feel there's a lot of older guys like me, many of them white, who feel they helped carry the company load long enough. Sold every bit of company stock I owned and invested it in other places. Might have been a wise decision because I learned today the company lost billions in a sell-off of an earlier investment company.

I have a good friend who is past retirement age and FedEx now has him driving two days a week just to help them keep up. He says he's doing it just to help him keep busy.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/04/21 10:09 AM

Try finding a decent ATV tire in stock anywhere
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/04/21 11:31 AM

I work at a new car dealer and we have about 15% of our normal inventory. No micro chips and no transport drivers. Parts are starting to dry up. We never closed our doors but so many others did we all pay now. My 2007 Sierra is worth what I paid for it in 2014.

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/04/21 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
I work at a new car dealer and we have about 15% of our normal inventory. No micro chips and no transport drivers. Parts are starting to dry up. We never closed our doors but so many others did we all pay now. My 2007 Sierra is worth what I paid for it in 2014.

I don't see how some of the smaller gun stores are staying in business. I always enjoy dropping by Able's Outdoor in Huntsville when I'm in the area as did so just last week. I would guess they too have an inventory that's no more than 15% of normal.

A news report this morning claimed lumber prices are four times normal, when you can find it.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/05/21 12:24 AM

Dan, I just found this out. Need some wood and can’t find it.

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/10/21 10:44 PM

I've noticed some chatter on social media where gas stations in Alabama are running out of gas a result of too many people panic buying. And what's ironic is that the panic buying is the result of posts on social media warning others of the shortages.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/11/21 01:14 AM

This is what happens when you have less than 50% of the worlds population not working while 100% of the population is draining the supply chain.

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/17/21 10:42 AM

I used to have issues with panic buying. Late at night, you would you would sometimes hear, "Last Call!" and that would set me off.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/17/21 10:56 AM

'Last time I heard "Last Call" I wound up marrying the girl a few months later. We're still together, 29 years later.

For us less-handy types, new deer blinds are in short supply. Windows and RV doors are a problem. Anyone needing some this coming season better order now, check back often, and hope for the best.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/19/21 07:00 AM

I used to have issues with panic buying. Late at night, you would you would sometimes hear, "Last Call!" and that would set me off.

You too? grin
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/19/21 10:06 PM

I sold my 2018 Tundra for 300.00 more than I paid yesterday.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/19/21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by DStroud

Dang, good for you!
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/20/21 04:40 PM

up

That is amazing for sure.

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/20/21 05:51 PM

Now you can change your screen name.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/20/21 05:55 PM

Private party or to a dealer?
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/20/21 08:13 PM

Now you can change your screen name.

roflmao
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Shortages everywhere - 05/22/21 03:07 AM

I sold my 2018 Tundra to Carvana yesterday. I got almost $3,000. more than what I paid for it. Ive had it since December. I couldn't pass on the deal.

i am now driving my 93 year old dads Kia mini van.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Shortages everywhere - 06/12/21 05:11 PM

Academy (Bastrop) moved their ammo section completely out, just a small space next to where it used to be, had a lot of .308 & .223
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Shortages everywhere - 06/12/21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Honcho

Private party or to a dealer?

Back to the dealer I bought it from 38 months ago. Then took the money and paid off my home.
Will buy another truck probably end of year when the new Tundra arrives if it’s as nice as I hear.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Shortages everywhere - 06/16/21 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by JCB
This is what happens when you have less than 50% of the worlds population not working while 100% of the population is draining the supply chain.

Yep. Someone has to make the things people buy. US is in for some really hard times since we exported all our manufacturing.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Shortages everywhere - 06/17/21 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Dang, good for you!

Inflated dollars. You didn't make a red cent. Currency has been devalued.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum