Texas Hunting Forum

Sling for AR10

Posted By: ijohnston

Sling for AR10 - 02/05/21 09:57 PM

I took my son to S Texas this year so I preferred for him to take a step up from his 243 to a 308. While target shooting he preferred my ar10 over the bolt. Unfortunately I did not have a sling for that gun. Can any of you recommend a good sling for the AR10? The ones I normally see are not the typical hunting rifle type of sling.

Looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/05/21 10:37 PM

I use just a regular hunting sling on mine.

[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BXZNBLU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then get the appropriate sling swivels.

Mine used these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FNSCG3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: kry226

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/06/21 04:59 AM

AR 10 or 15, it doesnt matter, but I do use one specific to the AR. I'm partial to the Vickers.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/padded-vickers-sling
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/06/21 07:43 PM

Swivels? Took this photo of a friend's.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/06/21 09:32 PM

If you have QD mount options, I like the the MS4® Dual QD Sling GEN2.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/11/21 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Swivels? Took this photo of a friend's.

[Linked Image]

Did you tell your friend there is a strap location on the forearm? Looks functional but might obscure the scope image a bit.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/11/21 02:21 PM

Yeah, think "my friend" prefers to utilize this device with the scope on top and not having to turn it over if finding oneself in quick need to engage. think about it. What I do not know about is the placement of the rear strap - something I will have "my friend" look into.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/11/21 05:40 PM

Viking Tactical, I use it on two AR's. Push button on/off with QD's. Easy pull to adjust, front carry for those spot and stalk times on hogs, or while riding ATV. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: killen

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/11/21 09:51 PM

i like the single point
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/15/21 11:15 PM

A stout piece of jute cord works great
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/21/21 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
If you have QD mount options, I like the the MS4® Dual QD Sling GEN2.

I second this opinion.
Posted By: TX_Kingfish

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/21/21 01:01 AM

I use Viking Tactical slings for my ARs with low-profile mounts. Costs a little more for the full setup but well worth it; lightweight and very comfortable.
Posted By: 7o8

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/21/21 11:37 PM

I'm partial to the padded MS1 from Magpul...
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/22/21 03:19 AM

Viking Tactics

Mount it to the side of the forearm and the rifle will sit parallel to your torso. Get the length just right and it is ready to shoulder and shoot in a snap.

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/22/21 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Viking Tactics

Mount it to the side of the forearm and the rifle will sit parallel to your torso. Get the length just right and it is ready to shoulder and shoot in a snap.

That's what is in the picture above, used it today, killed a coyote. Like this carry method a lot.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/22/21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Viking Tactics

That's what is in the picture above, used it today, killed a coyote. Like this carry method a lot.

I thread them around the back of the buffer tube, where that long skinny slot is on top.

Try that, you might like it even better.

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/22/21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Viking Tactics

I thread them around the back of the buffer tube, where that long skinny slot is on top.

Try that, you might like it even better.

Yeah, would work but I move this sling around.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/24/21 12:00 PM

I run an MS1 similar to how S&W uses his VTAC, just with the rear attachment point being on the opposite side of the stock so it gives the sling a better path over my shoulder. For a righty, it'd be rear swivel on the right side, front on the left side.

Quick adjust is essential since it allows you to do everything from cinching it tight to your body to using the sling for more stable shooting.

Re: Sling for AR10 - 02/24/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by HicksHunter
I run an MS1 similar to how S&W uses his VTAC, just with the rear attachment point being on the opposite side of the stock so it gives the sling a better path over my shoulder. For a righty, it'd be rear swivel on the right side, front on the left side.

Quick adjust is essential since it allows you to do everything from cinching it tight to your body to using the sling for more stable shooting.

Tried that, it's better. Thanks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum