Texas Hunting Forum

AirPods 2 PRO noise cancelling question

Posted By: Superduty

AirPods 2 PRO noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 02:36 AM

I have had the AirPods no ear protection or enhancements and now I have the AirPods PRO with noise cancelling they should work sitting in a boxed bind for sound protection right? I know I need to turn on noise cancelling for them to be effective. I am referring to the boom, after pulling trigger.

Opinions.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 02:41 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 02:48 AM

I put mine in while hunting and listen to Christmas music. Very calming.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
[Linked Image]

Is that gel?
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 04:45 AM

Lol lol.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 05:47 AM

Never understood the need for hearing protection while hunting.

I get it at the range or shooting clays.

One or two shots in the blind isn't going to be an issue and miss out on all the sounds you get to hear while hunting.

My hearing is tested every year by my employer and I waterfowl hunt a lot. No ill effects....
Posted By: MrKit

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
[Linked Image]

roflmao roflmao
Posted By: BigPig

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BradyBuck

One or two shots in the blind isn't going to be an issue and miss out on all the sounds you get to hear while hunting.

My hearing is tested every year by my employer and I waterfowl hunt a lot. No ill effects....

Shotgun shells are quite a bit quieter than a rifle, especially one with a muzzle brake.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 12:21 PM

I now try to bring hearing protection out in the field. 60 and its a recent turn. There is a reason.

Wear them and what does it hurt if not needed? If needed and not worn, deal with it at some point.
Posted By: Judd

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 03:51 PM

Air Pods weren't meant to hearing protection from a rifle blast...so no, that won't work but it's better than nothing.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 11/30/20 08:58 PM

The noise cancellation maximum threshold isnt designed for gun shots or other super loud noises. Repeated use at say a range or something could ruin the system. Having said that, an occasional blast isnt going to, and it is effective in reducing the volume to the ear. I have used my bose headphones the same way and they are still working.

I agree with the sentiment of keeping headphones out while deer hunting as i like to hear the outside during this season, but i have listened to audio books or podcasts while hog hunting. Passes the time.
Posted By: TLew

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/01/20 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
The noise cancellation maximum threshold isnt designed for gun shots or other super loud noises. Repeated use at say a range or something could ruin the system. Having said that, an occasional blast isnt going to, and it is effective in reducing the volume to the ear. I have used my bose headphones the same way and they are still working.

I agree with the sentiment of keeping headphones out while deer hunting as i like to hear the outside during this season, but i have listened to audio books or podcasts while hog hunting. Passes the time.

I had an airpod in my left ear listening to a podcast when I shot my WT this year. Used to read books all the time in the stand, but I like the audio version better since it keeps my eyes up. Using only one airpod lets me keep an ear out for other stuff
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/01/20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty
I have had the AirPods no ear protection or enhancements and now I have the AirPods PRO with noise cancelling they should work sitting in a boxed bind for sound protection right? I know I need to turn on noise cancelling for them to be effective. I am referring to the boom, after pulling trigger.

Opinions.

https://www.apple.com/airpods-pro/?afid=p238%7C58OeSBDm-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_77928038902508_pgrid_1246846660265060_&cid=aos-us-kwbi---slid---product-

Okay, did some research on the AirPods PRO. They claim to have "active noise cancelling" based on the fit of the pod into the ear canal. Last I checked, that was actually PASSIVE noise blocking, much like using ear plugs. However, they do have actual electronic active noise cancelling abilities. Again, last I checked, active noise cancelling abilities, Apple calls "anti noise" does not react fast enough to cancel the pressure of gunshots. Gun rated electronic hearing protection works by actually cutting off the sound going into the ear, a process that is faster than trying to actively counter it. The type of noise cancelling the AirPods are offering works best against continuous sound, like riding in a vehicle.

There is no doubt a very good reason that Airpod PRO does NOT have an NRR rating, right?

AIRPOD PROS ARE NOT HEARING PROTECTION AND HAVE NO NRR RATING!!!!

The short answer is that your Airpods will give you very minimal passive hearing protection by somewhat blocking your auditory canal. The active noise cancelling technology will NOT save your ears.

READ HERE...
https://www.entinstitute.com/noise-canceling-hearing-protection-does-it-really-exist/

I never understood the need to NOT wear ear pro while hunting. I see people making claims like this, but it reminds of people who say, "I ate lead paint chips as a kid and I am fine."

When you get up to rifle levels, say 145-165 db, damage can occur with a single shot. If the noise causes a ringing in the ears or you experience that popping sensation, damage has occurred.

It should be pointed out that damage is cumulative and does not repair itself.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/01/20 09:42 PM

And this is probably why i have tinnitus....

No really, thanks for looking that up. I played the lazy part and didn't do any research, just took the claim of active noise suppression for what it said it was.

I will say my Bose headphones (ear bud style) with noise blocking worked very well for the few shots I have used them on. I have since gotten some walkers that also connect to my phone via Bluetooth that are rated for gun shots that work as good if not better.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/02/20 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

I never understood the need to NOT wear ear pro while hunting. I see people making claims like this, but it reminds of people who say, "I ate lead paint chips as a kid and I am fine."

When you get up to rifle levels, say 145-165 db, damage can occur with a single shot. If the noise causes a ringing in the ears or you experience that popping sensation, damage has occurred.

It should be pointed out that damage is cumulative and does not repair itself.

I was a Pre-Med major for one semester, I agree with this message.

Charlie
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/03/20 12:23 AM

You are fortunate, use protection now don't wait until you have rearing loss.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/04/20 12:32 AM

I use noise canceling earbuds and stream music when shooting. Might be a coincidence but I seem to shoot better when listening to Frank Sinatra????. I don’t think it’s the best ear pro but I have not observed any ringing since switching over to them.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/04/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wilhunt

You are fortunate, use protection now don't wait until you have rearing loss.

this

The problem with hearing loss is your hearing is fine up until the moment it's not. And once it's not, it's downhill from there. After my MEPS Army physical the audiologist said I had exceptionally good hearing. If I'd known then what I know know I'd have taken better care of my hearing. Unfortunately, Uncle Sugar didn't think much about protecting soldiers ears at the time.

Most people would agree that hearing loss is the lesser of two evils. The other evil, being Tinnitus. I've heard of people going bat-sh1t crazy from the sounds they were hearing. Mine is significant, the sounds I hear vary from swooshing to hisses, buzzing, roaring, crackling and clear metallic tones that can be continuous or go up and down in scale. My hearing loss is severe. I just upgraded from Resound to Beltone Amaze 17 Hearing Aids and they're not cheap.

Think of it this way, when your ears are shot, there's no such thing as peace and quiet. What you want to hear, you can't. What you don't want to hear, you can. And it never stops.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/04/20 11:08 PM

^^^^So true. It creeps up on you. You don't think there's any damage but there is and as mentioned it is cumulative. My hearing is shot and the tinnitus is extremely annoying. I wear regular ear plugs now. I think the noise cancelling earbuds or headphones still let some damaging noise in. I can't afford anymore loss of hearing. It's all from years of shooting when we were to stupid to realize the damage was being done. We also thought riding around smoking without a seat belt was OK too. Live and learn. Just learn from others pain so you can avoid it.
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/07/20 01:47 AM

Trust me, you DON'T want Tinnitus. The noise NEVER stops. As said before, there is no such thing as peace and quiet. When laying in bed at night, it sounds like a turbine engine is running in the room with me ALL THE TIME!
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/07/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chopperdrvr
Trust me, you DON'T want Tinnitus. The noise NEVER stops. As said before, there is no such thing as peace and quiet. When laying in bed at night, it sounds like a turbine engine is running in the room with me ALL THE TIME!

And from another ol' former "Chopperdriver", I can second this (unfortunately)!

That aside, if you want hearing protection and listen to your iPhone, audiobook, etc., take a look at the isoTunes bluetooth earbud products. Excellent performance and they do provide real protection.

If you don't mind the over-the-head style earmuffs, the Howard Leight will both amplify ambient sounds and provide protection.

texas
Posted By: DoubleDrop32

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question - 12/07/20 02:39 AM

I use these in the stand and at home for mowing the lawn

They enhance your hearing as well as protect it (30NRR)

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum