Texas Hunting Forum

Electric bike recommendation

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Electric bike recommendation - 01/21/20 06:51 AM

Looking for something like an electric bike to take to and from the stand. Any recommendations or options such as just a fat Tire bike instead?
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 01/21/20 10:57 AM

Tag.
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 01/24/20 03:00 PM

Saw one in a bicycle store, owner bought a kit off Amazon and built it himself, way cheaper than buying one, just an idea
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 01/24/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4willie
Saw one in a bicycle store, owner bought a kit off Amazon and built it himself, way cheaper than buying one, just an idea

Check on Craigs for used fat tire and mountain bikes. Kits available on Amazon and eBay.

2 forums https://motoredbikes.com/ and https://motorbicycling.com/
On one of them a guy built or is building a dual power, 2 stroke gas motor and a electric hub power for quiet running.

Trailer, consider a single wheel, they are not wide, but don't hang up on narrow trails. Con they tip over with heavy off set loads.
Posted By: Pat Miller

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 01/30/20 08:38 PM

Sondors.com

not overly expensive, enough options to make it last longer to ride, faster if necessary, and more torque to go up and down hills.
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 01/31/20 01:27 AM

These look interesting. I don't have one either.

https://shop.m2sbikes.com/collections/all-terrain-electric-bike-series

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 02/08/20 09:13 PM

Picked up a fat tire bike barely used by a guy locally. Gonna ride it a while, see how it goes and might get an electric bike conversion kit in the future, maybe not. I can use this thing to help get in shape for an elk hunt, so it’s a win win.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 02/10/20 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Picked up a fat tire bike barely used by a guy locally. Gonna ride it a while, see how it goes and might get an electric bike conversion kit in the future, maybe not. I can use this thing to help get in shape for an elk hunt, so it’s a win win.

If you go electric, buy from eBay or Amazon so you have an easy refund option. Some of the dealers on the foums have awful reputations, A better bet would be someone local on in the DFW area.

I have bought from some of the dealers, I consider myself lucky, except for slow shipping never had a problem.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 02/14/20 06:43 PM

Check this one out. https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/camp-scrambler Ran into a guy this morning that is building his own version of this one. He is using a fat tire bike that he cut up and created a custom frame. A 750 watt electric front hub for power.

[Linked Image]

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 02/14/20 07:01 PM

Man that’s not a bad price. If I did that my wife would kill me, but she has let me buy two new ASF protein feeders, an ASF blind, a no till and crimper for our UTVs. I am
Anxious to see how the no till works, also interested to see how the bike works out there. Took it for a quick couple mile ride today. Getting comfortable with it but do need to get in bike shape. I hope the weather allows a more regular use, it was wet and cold here early this week
Posted By: freerange

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 02/15/20 07:14 PM

I remember seeing a bike at a hunting show a few years ago and I think it was "Rambo". It seemed really geared for off road and it wasn't cheap. I have always thought about getting one and I really had to hold onto my check book to keep from getting it. Txbuck once you get it figured out give me a shout and I may follow your lead.
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 02/16/20 10:14 PM

Check out Rad Power bikes out of Seattle. I saw several different models when I was up that way last summer. They deal direct and have a good customer support reputation based on what I heard from a couple of owners.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 03/01/20 12:59 AM

It will take some "engineering" from someone that understands DC voltage, but I found an electric DC motor for a go kart, 24 volt 500 watts, should be a plenty of power, at $61 it is cheap enough, Still needs a battery, that can be outsourced using a 24 volt hand tool battery, or having one made at Interstate.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124100138964?ul_noapp=true

Lot of other DC electric motor watts combinations available on eBay, just make sure your choice is a kit that includes the controller.

Now the bad news, the guys on another forum say the instructions to put it together really suck, so you need some experience and luck on assembling these things.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 03/01/20 01:03 AM

That will pull over 20 amps. Two big 12v batteries at least...

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 03/01/20 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cast
That will pull over 20 amps. Two big 12v batteries at least...

I have no clue, but the one pictured above is
52 Volt battery platform and custom 750w motor capable
The batteryis the black box on the front.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 03/02/20 07:18 PM

Friend of mine was in Cabelas FtW yesterday and saw one for $4400. I don't know anymore than that.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 03/02/20 07:58 PM

Was probably one of either a Rambo bike or a quietkat bike. Both those are rather spendy. Good off road hinting bikes but spendy nonetheless.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 03/05/20 03:36 PM

Did you find an electric bike

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 03/05/20 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Check this one out. https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/camp-scrambler Ran into a guy this morning that is building his own version of this one. He is using a fat tire bike that he cut up and created a custom frame. A 750 watt electric front hub for power.

[Linked Image]

A Polaris fat tire bike. Remove the bike seat and add a platform seat as above. 3/4" EMT should be stout enough, bracing to the rear axel and back up to the seat post. Polaris bike about $400 My choice of power would be a mid mounted motor, a Bafang, but considering mud, ran etc., I think a rear or front hub wheel mount would be better. With battery expect at leat $400, probably closer to $500.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 03/06/20 05:18 AM

That’ll work

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 03/09/20 01:38 AM

A half decent E Bike build tutorial https://www.instructables.com/id/EB...m_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 06/15/20 04:23 AM

Here is a fat tire build that might interest some of you. If you can get past the "foreign" language of making the battery it is helpful

https://motoredbikes.com/threads/60...tery-build-3-4-kwh-100-mile-range.57128/
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 06/16/20 06:37 PM

Go look at them at Scheel's in the Colony. They are very expensive!
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 06/20/20 09:46 PM

A bicycle that will quickly do 40+ mph on level ground doesnt sound fun to ride. Particularly when I think of how many times Ive hit the pavement or dirt when I used to ride bikes frequently.

Of course, being old may have something to do with it, The older Ive gotten the more risk averse Ive become. I think thats true for most folks.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 06/22/20 06:11 PM

I've been contemplating buying an ebike for same reason - quietly getting to blind and not having to rely on SxS. Finally pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a fat tire bike from Lectric - https://lectricebikes.com/ - just under a grand delivered. Claims to be a 20 mph bike stock, and can be programmed to run up to 28 mph. I think 20 is plenty fast for my use. Also claims 25 mile + duration on a full charge. I very much like that it can be folder down for easy transport.

I won't receive until mid-July, but will post up reviews once I've had a chance to test.
Posted By: Dan S.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 06/22/20 11:19 PM

I just got the Rambo Nomad 750. At 83 Turkey hunting in the rough country I hunt I decided after the season there has to be a better way for us mature gentlemen. This is the second rated hunting ebike by the pro's. It has 11 gears which is great for me because some of the country I hunt is pretty steep. Trying it out it seems it will climb a tree if I can stay on it. Rambo customer support is fantastic as they really help this old boy. I got the open box Nomad for 2699 and free shipping. I'm in the process of taming it now.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 06/23/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dalroo
I've been contemplating buying an ebike for same reason - quietly getting to blind and not having to rely on SxS. Finally pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a fat tire bike from Lectric - https://lectricebikes.com/ - just under a grand delivered. Claims to be a 20 mph bike stock, and can be programmed to run up to 28 mph. I think 20 is plenty fast for my use. Also claims 25 mile + duration on a full charge. I very much like that it can be folder down for easy transport.

I won't receive until mid-July, but will post up reviews once I've had a chance to test.

That's a lot of bang for the buck.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 06/23/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by aerangis

That is one of the best prices I have seen for a fully assembled E bike. For me 20 is more than fast enough on a bike on ranch/lease roads.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 08/21/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by aerangis

That is one of the best prices I have seen for a fully assembled E bike. For me 20 is more than fast enough on a bike on ranch/lease roads.

Alright - quick update on the Lectric bike -

- Received tracking notices once it shipped (free shipping BTW) in mid-July and it arrived 2 days later as promised.
- Packing was outstanding and it took a bit to get it unpacked, but all that was needed was airing up tires a bit and installing the battery once fully charged.
- Rides nice and very adjustable for ride height, etc. Came with paniers which I did not expect - handy for running to grocery store, etc. Exceptional build, fit and finish.
- I almost immediately bumped up the max speed to 28 mph, and on flat ground, even with my size (6' x 220 lbs), it will get close to that, and meets it on any bit of downhill. Will go up slight inclines at around 17 mph
- Claims 25+ miles on a full charge - maybe, but not with my size and the way I ride - full throttle around the neighborhood. I haven't maxed it out on distance yet, but guessing will be just shy of 20 miles from full. Could extend a bit by slowing down and pedaling more maybe, but who wants to do that?
- I rode it quite a bit the first week I had it, then the HEAT set in, so just getting back out on it, but bottom-line, for the price, I think it is well worth the investment. My next test will be to take it out to the ranch and see how it holds up off-road. Fat tires that are supposed to be thorn resistant, but we"ll see - mesquite thorns are a bit different.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 08/21/20 04:47 PM

Thanks for the review.

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 08/21/20 05:05 PM

Please keep us posted

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 08/21/20 07:24 PM

Dalroo, thanks for the update. Keep us posted how this bike does on the ranch roads, off road, and how it hands hills and such.

Also, can the battery be charged while connected to bike or does it need to come off to charge?

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 08/21/20 08:35 PM

It says on the website it is 500 watts, does it specify the voltage anywhere?

Re: Electric bike recommendation - 08/22/20 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Dalroo, thanks for the update. Keep us posted how this bike does on the ranch roads, off road, and how it hands hills and such.

Also, can the battery be charged while connected to bike or does it need to come off to charge?

[quote=Texas buckeye]

Will update once I’ve ranched it ... and yes, the bike can be charged without removing the battery. There is a charge port connection on the frame. Very easy.

Not sure on voltage - will take a look.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum