Texas Hunting Forum

Help me find a cellular game cam please

Posted By: Sparky45

Help me find a cellular game cam please - 12/15/19 07:09 PM

I’ve been trapping hogs with scares and need a reliable camera that can send pics to my phone or an app based system.
The Spypoint that my family got me at Acadmey was a disappointment but there has to be others who have made successful platforms. AT&T works fairly well at the location with Verizon being a bit spotty.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Help me find a cellular game cam please - 12/16/19 06:58 PM

I can say based upon my experience with two Snyper cameras, you probably should pass on those.

Pros - nice clear pictures, fairly straight forward to setup, great customer service and you speak to a human, their solar panels are top notch, video on the card is good, Simhero will almost work anywhere and AT&T option.

Cons - limited functionality on the app compared to others, crashed servers opening weekend needed a firmware update required to be on-site (I'm 4 hours away from mine), first firmware update didn't work required another, I think they'll eventually get it there but right now they are too immature as a company.

When they work, they are awesome. I admittedly have a sour taste in my mouth over the first day of season crash.

If I was buying today, I'd lean toward Ridgetec.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Help me find a cellular game cam please - 12/16/19 10:38 PM

I have two Spartan cams running and just got a third in the mail this morning. Planning on getting a fourth soon.

I am in an AT&T area - they get excellent reception. Sends the pictures immediately and have had zero problems. Highly recommend Spartan cameras. Little bit pricier compared to others, but I did a lot of research and found the Spartans to be the best quality. The app works nicely too. Easy to share the camera with others and adjust the settings as needed.
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Help me find a cellular game cam please - 12/16/19 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
I have two Spartan cams running and just got a third in the mail this morning. Planning on getting a fourth soon.

I am in an AT&T area - they get excellent reception. Sends the pictures immediately and have had zero problems. Highly recommend Spartan cameras. Little bit pricier compared to others, but I did a lot of research and found the Spartans to be the best quality. The app works nicely too. Easy to share the camera with others and adjust the settings as needed.

Thanks for that info sir
How much does the basic service cost from Spartan?
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Help me find a cellular game cam please - 12/17/19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky45

Thanks for that info sir
How much does the basic service cost from Spartan?

I do the 3-month plan for $65 which includes 3gb. I'll be switching soon to the 12gb plan for $200 per year. Certainly not the cheapest data rates, but it works so well that I don't mind paying a little more for the reliability. The cost difference of a few dollars per month for hassle-free is worth it IMO.

Whatever service you choose - make sure to adjust the settings to use minimum data. For example, I only run the cameras late afternoon through mid-morning. This avoids tons of pictures of squirrels/birds. During the offseason, I also adjust the cameras only to take pictures every 10 minutes.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Help me find a cellular game cam please - 12/17/19 04:20 PM

Cabela's has a Cuddeback system that has one Cell cam and two remote cams for $549. High, right?

But here's the deal. They have a two-pack of cameras for $299, with a mail in rebate to get the CEll cam for free. So you get the $549 kit for essentially $299 and time-served while waiting for them to mail the cell cam.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...k-pack-black-friday/3526397.uts?slotId=2
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Help me find a cellular game cam please - 12/18/19 12:44 PM

Will the Cuddebacks run on ATT or just Verizon?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Help me find a cellular game cam please - 12/18/19 10:34 PM

If you’re going the Cudde route, you have to get the Solar/Battery backup thing they sell. While the cameras and Cell Point themselves use D cell batteries, they’ll suck ‘em dry in no time. The Solar/Battery thing works great.

The Cudde cell’s don’t tolerate less than optimal cell coverage very well. If you don’t have a consistent 2 bars, you’ll be disappointed.
Posted By: grimreapor

Re: Help me find a cellular game cam please - 12/21/19 10:47 AM

I bought the covert this year. More than satisfied with this one. I can change settings from my phone which makes it nice. Friends have Spartans and said they will buy coverts next. I guess it depends on what features you want.
Posted By: 6.5 shooter

Re: Help me find a cellular game cam please - 01/04/20 11:22 AM

I’ve been running Bigfoot 4G cell cameras. They work great.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum