Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting boot suggestion

Posted By: krmitchell

Hunting boot suggestion - 10/07/19 03:49 PM

I had surgery on my foot a few weeks ago and need to get a new set of boots with a stiffer sole. I’ve got a pair that are really comfortable but the rubber sole will do me no good if i step on a rock. What is everyone wearing? Need them to be waterproof and something I can wear in Colorado this fall when I’m hunting there.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 10/07/19 09:16 PM

Hanwag, crispi, lowa, zamberlan, schnees/gronell

Definition of Stiff is kind of relative to weight and size of individual.

I run Hanwag Yukon and Chillkats but about to order some Crispi Colorado’s

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 10/07/19 11:27 PM

190 lbs, size 11 shoe. Thanks.

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 10/08/19 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by krmitchell
190 lbs, size 11 shoe. Thanks.

Good news and bad news. Good news All make a relatively stiff option and have a scale.

Bad news every makers last fits differently

Worse news you live in Texas and no one carries a stiff mountain boot, not even REI

Good news is you are about to hit close out season and some of the online stores have really good return policies.

Some options that I have owned and thought were a well built boot(some I sent back because fit wasn’t right, but they May fit you perfect)

Hanwag Yukon
Lowa Tircam II
Zamberlan Boots 960
Schnees beartooths II’s
Crispi Nevada

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 10/08/19 01:56 AM

Thanks Bobo, I’ll look into those.

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 10/08/19 02:59 AM

The waterproof Hanwag is the Alaska the Yukon is just leather lined. Others are all water proof
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 10/08/19 04:51 PM

The scheels in the colony might have some of the crispi models in their store to try on, or at least some other options to look at. Was terribly disappointed in the selection at both REI (don't go in there anymore, but that's just me) and Cabelas. Bass pro is even worse with regard to boots.

But I don't know if that Scheels is open yet. NVM, just looked, it opens april 2020.

MIght try going out to Cabelas and seeing if their Meindl line work for your feet...there used to be so many varieties cabelas would sell in the meindl line, but I think they have whittled it down to just two or one. Might be worth a drive if you are closeby.

Edit: I am about your size and picked up a pair of Meindl Western hunters I believe (they were in the bargain bin at cabelas and mis-sized as well I believe)but they are really good stiff boots. Very comfy too. But I looked the other day and there is no marking ont hem to say which model they are. So...sorry I can't be more specific.

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 10/08/19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
The scheels in the colony might have some of the crispi models in their store to try on, or at least some other options to look at. Was terribly disappointed in the selection at both REI (don't go in there anymore, but that's just me) and Cabelas. Bass pro is even worse with regard to boots.

But I don't know if that Scheels is open yet. NVM, just looked, it opens april 2020.

MIght try going out to Cabelas and seeing if their Meindl line work for your feet...there used to be so many varieties cabelas would sell in the meindl line, but I think they have whittled it down to just two or one. Might be worth a drive if you are closeby.

Edit: I am about your size and picked up a pair of Meindl Western hunters I believe (they were in the bargain bin at cabelas and mis-sized as well I believe)but they are really good stiff boots. Very comfy too. But I looked the other day and there is no marking ont hem to say which model they are. So...sorry I can't be more specific.

When scheels opens IT SHOULD have crispi, lowa, and Zamberlan...key word should. I’m scared they will cater strictly geographically though.

Bass pro dropped Meindl unfortunately, but they did start up a new US distribution. The Denali was their most popular boot. I think this is the new name https://meindlusa.com/collections/meindl-footwear/products/vakuum-hunter
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 11/14/19 01:18 AM

I have used Irish Setter boots for many years and they are the most comfortable I have ever found. I use Irish Setter Elk Trackers for Colorado and out West hunting. They are waterproof and extremely comfortable.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 11/14/19 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I have used Irish Setter boots for many years and they are the most comfortable I have ever found. I use Irish Setter Elk Trackers for Colorado and out West hunting. They are waterproof and extremely comfortable.

This!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 11/14/19 08:09 PM

I like my Kenetreks, but everyone’s foot is different.

Re: Hunting boot suggestion - 11/19/19 02:54 PM

I ended up with some Danner's that are 600 gram. Got some good hiking in out in west Texas at the lease last weekend and I'm happy with them. Definitely not going to be a summer boot but will be great in the cold weather.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum