Texas Hunting Forum

woodpecker damage to game camera

Posted By: TackDriver

woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/01/19 02:30 AM

I just got these two Browning Game Cameras last year and they work fine for me, upon checking them yesterday, i found that a woodpecker had pecked on the tint shield of the sensor and opened a hole in the shield. Camera worked fine taking about 8 to 10 pics a day / night, and when the woodpecker hung on to it for a selfie and knocking out the shield, and afterwards started taking hundreds of pictures a day at swaying trees, etc but no animal in sight. Is there a fix for it?

By the way, its my 3rd game camera with the same issues and is there a solution or a better camera that does not have that cheap plastic shield?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/01/19 11:59 AM

There are several videos like this on YouTube...

Apparently, the various little noises created by the camera trick the woodpecker in believing there are insects inside. I think that about the only thing you can do is to build a cage around your camera to prevent the woodpecker from getting too close.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/02/19 02:24 AM

Call Browning. They will sell, send you replacement lenses. I had this happen and they helped me.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/02/19 02:25 PM

It seems that mounting the camera on a tree makes the situation worse. Mounted to a T-post isn't as bad, IME
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/02/19 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by llbts1
Call Browning. They will sell, send you replacement lenses. I had this happen and they helped me.
They sent me a free brand new camera to replace the 3--4 yo one I inquired about. Top notch customer service.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/03/19 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by llbts1
They sent me a free brand new camera to replace the 3--4 yo one I inquired about. Top notch customer service.

Agree. And they make a pretty good game camera.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/04/19 03:09 PM

Thanks fellas. Contacted Browning, and they sent a parts form to fill out and email back. Each piece is $8.99 and ordered two pieces in case it shall happen again. Time to get Woody Woodpecker. smile ani

Cheers
Posted By: rogerh

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/11/19 12:37 AM

I'm trying something new and made a box with 1x2 wire in the front. I hope it works like i've been told it does. Having trouble with picks, if someone wants them pm your # and I'll send them
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/11/19 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by rogerh
I'm trying something new and made a box with 1x2 wire in the front. I hope it works like i've been told it does. Having trouble with picks, if someone wants them pm your # and I'll send them

This will work great. Better if you use 1"x1" square welded wire instead then open up just enough in front to not block sensor, IR and lens. I cut the wires in the middle to open them outward to leave the pointed edges out in front as added protection. Works really well on cattle trying to lick the camera also.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/11/19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
There are several videos like this on YouTube...

Apparently, the various little noises created by the camera trick the woodpecker in believing there are insects inside. I think that about the only thing you can do is to build a cage around your camera to prevent the woodpecker from getting too close.

Looks like a Pileated Woodpecker. BIG suckers...about the size of a crow. We have lots of them where I live. They would make short work of a game camera lens or cover.

Attached picture WP1.JPG
Posted By: redchevy

Re: woodpecker damage to game camera - 09/12/19 04:46 PM

Hate them wood peckers. They peck on our cammeras, they peck on the blinds, they even peck on the plate of steel at the top of our feeder tripods. I hope they break a beak every time I hear the ping on the steel!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum