Texas Hunting Forum

Headlamp Anyone?

Posted By: Jgraider

Headlamp Anyone? - 08/26/19 06:27 PM

Anybody have a badass headlamp they could recommend? General use, gutting, cleaning up game at night, etc. Thanks.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/26/19 07:59 PM

Love my Gemini Olympus (or maybe it's Olympia). Ain't cheap but it's a beast
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/26/19 08:25 PM

The rechargeable Petzl is awesome. I like the model where you don't have to open it to get to the rechargeable battery. They make a few different ones. I use it for hunting and night fishing. The batters last a VERY long time one one charge and I've been using the same one for years. I've probably saved myself from buying hundreds of batteries.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/26/19 09:27 PM

I like Black diamond brand
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/26/19 09:38 PM

I'm cheap, but for headlamps I just look at the lumens on the package and pick one of the higher ones with a decent price. Head lamps i typically max out around $20 for one, but for a hand-held ive been really happy with my streamlights.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/27/19 03:37 PM

I've had two different Petzls (ran over the first, long story) and they were both excellent. I'm interested in the rechargeable that AdvTX mentioned above.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/27/19 04:04 PM

Led Lenser MH10. Super impressive amount of light.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/27/19 05:20 PM

I don’t think you can go wrong with Black Diamond or Petzl.
My BD Storm 350 is amazing. The available brightness keeps going up every year on new models.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/27/19 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
Anybody have a badass headlamp they could recommend? General use, gutting, cleaning up game at night, etc. Thanks.

I really like zebra light and 18650 batteries but its pricey up front. Now a budget side Coast is hard to beat.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/28/19 08:30 PM

I have a Streamlight ProTack HL headlamp. It has 3 brightness settings with 635 lumens as the brightest.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/29/19 02:40 AM

I have just spent the last 3 days researching this same topic. My headlamp is the last item in my bag that can’t run on a rechargeable battery. You want the best, here is what I have found in no particular order, except for the first one.

Zebralights - anything that is a MK IV model is their newer stuff. Hands down the best on the market. Even made in TX. A huge cult following. Their website is terrible but after you spend some time with it you’ll understand it.

Fenix headlamps. Many like the HL32R, HM 65R

Nitecore headlamps - I like the HC65
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/29/19 03:14 AM

You should also specify if you want something compact and wearable vs a big ole ding a ling on your head

Some sizes are dumb big
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/29/19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
You should also specify if you want something compact and wearable vs a big ole ding a ling on your head

Some sizes are dumb big

I appreciate all of the responses, and I specified what I'd use it for in the OP. I've sort of narrowed it down to the BD Spot 325, one of the Nitecore of Fenix models listed. I think I want one with the red light as well.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/29/19 05:07 PM

Candlepower.com will have more feedback on headlamps & flashlights than a good majority of any other places. It’s a great resource.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/29/19 07:23 PM

I think a cheap energizer would serve you fine. The highest price Energizer headlamp should still be under $30 and extremely bright, with optins for red or white. If you drop it in the river, it will float but p it won't last much longer.

I have a petzl that I have used for a couple of years. Has been to hell and back, afghanistan, rivers frog gigging and fishing, seen it's fair share of rain storms too. And probably been lost a half dozen times, somehow I always seem to get it back. It has oxidation inside, not sure if caused by the lithium batteries I like or the water or both. But it keeps on ticking. Petzl starts at $50 or $60 at the bottom end though, and your $30 energizer will shine brighter than the bottom end petzl.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/29/19 11:08 PM

I have used this Nitecore for a few years now. They have some other similar models...that also run on 18650 batteries, which is really nice.

The main complaint I get about this light is that it is too bright (not a complaint I make...as the user).
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/29/19 11:55 PM

Fenix HL60R is a good'un.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/30/19 12:55 AM

I have a petzl.
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/30/19 10:07 AM

Coast HL5 is my go to headlamp. Put new lithium batteries in it at the beginning of deer season and I’m good to go all season.
Posted By: RWHunting

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/30/19 01:21 PM

Sniper Hog Lights!
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/30/19 04:26 PM

I’m not sure what best means in this context, but I’ve got a couple of Petzl with which I am very happy. As another has said, new batteries at the beginning of the season and no worries.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/31/19 04:11 AM

Black Diamond storm
Coast FL85

I run a headlamp a lot during duck season. Black diamond is solid with good battery life. Putting the coast to the test this year, it’s probably two-three times as bright as the BD. We’ll see how it holds up
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 08/31/19 05:22 AM

Have had this for several years, really BRIGHT and well made.

NightEyes headlamp
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 09/07/19 07:29 PM

bought a cap clip-on from Tractor Supply that had 6-8 LED and is rechargeable with USB. This is the brightest lamp i have found and i think it was only $10.
Posted By: LG

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 09/11/19 08:37 PM

black diamond
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 09/12/19 10:56 AM

Petzl here.
Posted By: MikeOH

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 09/25/19 12:45 AM

Rechargeable Stingray works great.
Posted By: TigerCobra

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 09/25/19 02:20 AM

I have this it works great esp the green light for sneaking in the woods in early morning
https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-...;qid=1569377923&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Headlamp Anyone? - 11/21/19 12:25 AM

Coast are awesome. I work midnights and use them 4 nights a week. Not expensive and very reliable
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum