What is The Best Coat? - 07/28/19 10:13 PM

M-65 Field Jacket.

What do you think is the best?
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 07/29/19 01:37 PM

For cold; down anything.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 07/31/19 04:39 PM

For those coldest mornings with a heavy frost, I'll add an insulated vest under the same coat that I would wear in 40 degree weather rather than wearing a heavier coat that restricts arm mobility.

Of course if I'm hunting a ground blind and have the heater going, I'll likely leave the vest back at camp.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 07/31/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
For cold; down anything.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/04/19 10:23 PM

My vintage King of the Mountain Bowman with a down puffy underneath in extreme cold, it's fine by itself in temps down to about 0, below zero gets the puffy underneath.
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/04/19 11:33 PM

There is no perfect jacket for all conditions.

For stationary hunting, Arctic Shield has proven it's worth to me more than once. Worn the jacket and pants many times, with and without a base layer, in 0-30 degrees with zero issues. The real test was a late season cow elk hunt where it was cold to begin with and the temps dropped. Nothing like -12 F with 35+ sustained winds to test gear; this is in the open without ground blinds. I was wearing a base layer. However, I'd never wear it if there is any kind of sustained movement. You 'll be covered in sweat in no time. Never pass gas in the pants; it just stews.

I'd never choose clothing that is designed for active hunting for sitting in a ground blind in sub-zero weather. You'll freeze your behind off.

Match the clothing to the hunt.
Posted By: Cast

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/05/19 01:17 AM

I need a good windbreaker to wear with my shoulder rig.
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/05/19 03:25 PM

Sitka 90% jacket
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/05/19 10:44 PM

i agree with SenkoSamurai
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/06/19 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000

For stationary hunting, Arctic Shield has proven it's worth to me more than once. Worn the jacket and pants many times, with and without a base layer, in 0-30 degrees with zero issues. The real test was a late season cow elk hunt where it was cold to begin with and the temps dropped. Nothing like -12 F with 35+ sustained winds to test gear; this is in the open without ground blinds. I was wearing a base layer. However, I'd never wear it if there is any kind of sustained movement. You 'll be covered in sweat in no time. Never pass gas in the pants; it just stews.

I'd never choose clothing that is designed for active hunting for sitting in a ground blind in sub-zero weather. You'll freeze your behind off.

this and a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser

NOTHING BEATS REAL 100% WOOL
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/06/19 10:18 AM

Agree with AZ Hunter. It all depends.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/06/19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000

this and a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser

NOTHING BEATS REAL 100% WOOL

Solid advice.
Filson wool double cruiser is the best jacket I own. Kinda pricey though.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/10/19 04:11 AM

I’ve been pleased with my Kifaru lost park parka.
Posted By: bphillips

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/10/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by SenkoSamurai
Sitka 90% jacket

This for an overall
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/11/19 02:28 AM

Unlike down, wool even works when wet.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/27/19 02:02 PM

[Linked Image]
It's a long road.....
Posted By: ghostlight

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/27/19 06:19 PM

anything gore tex that can be layered
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/28/19 02:48 AM

Try wetting out the new hydrophobic downs. Damn near impossible, do able but washing machine type pressure is needed on the high end stuff

Wool shirts a great especially the light 140’ish weight, wool jackets I’ll pass. To many better modern textiles that don’t way 20lbs per sq-in if the find a way to absorb water.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: What is The Best Coat? - 08/28/19 10:34 AM

Nothing itches like wool.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum