Texas Hunting Forum

Noise canceling ears

Posted By: Cast

Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 04:24 PM

I need a good set of noise canceling ears for shooting, not music. What is the good stuff? Oh, I have a huge melon too so no small people ears.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 04:27 PM

Sony WH-1000XM3
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 04:35 PM

Keep shooting without hearing protection...and you will have natural noise cancelling ears!

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 04:39 PM

Gotta love the peanut gallery!
Posted By: SR025

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 04:40 PM

Misread for shooting, MSA Sordin

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by SR025

That was my mistake. I edited to add shooting, not music. Don’t mind if I can get some music but not a requirement.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 05:31 PM

Budget ?????

Just like everything else we do.

Most are using the Howard Leights, about $50

I like the Walkers Game muffs about $50

from there the skies the limit

Who EVER thought one would pay $1500 for a TRI POD ???!!!

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 06:02 PM

I have been looking at the Howard Leigh's. Indoors, and outdoors with loudenboomers I may back em up with foam earplugs.

Now I want a new bipod!
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 06:08 PM

Foam earplugs and Howard Leights. I found the Howard Leights didn't give me enough protection. I can't afford to loose any more hearing so I go an extra step.

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 06:35 PM

Those are my thoughts as well.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/23/19 10:29 PM

WHAT!!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/24/19 02:04 AM

Agree with you 2 guys
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Noise canceling ears - 06/26/19 12:07 AM

My first pair was a set of Howard Leights. I wore them out. When I went new, I went with Walkers. The Walkers fit my head a bit better and the foam in the ear cups lasts longer than on the HL's.

When shooting any of my non-suppressed guns, I run ear plugs as well. Running the suppressors I can get away with just the muffs to take care of the noise from other shooters (unless one of them is running a brake, then I just move...)
Posted By: Judd

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/08/19 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by SR025

If you get these with the gel ear cups you won't need to double up. I have the HL and these are 10x better.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/09/19 02:05 PM

Fer real, I use the non - electric noise cancelling muffs 32 decibel cancellation with 33 decibel rated foam plugs. At the range last week shooting next to some JA shooting a .300 Norma with a HUGE, tumor looking brake. jeez.

another note I bought the new Warne SKYLINE Precision Bipod #7901M. I'll put it right next to an Atlas, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFQThYvD0Wc
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/10/19 01:57 AM

I have the Howard Leights electronic noise canceling muffs and my biggest gripe with them is that they are an absolute PITA while wearing safety glasses. My head hurts so bad after a shooting session that I typically cut it short when I just can't take the pain from the ear piece of the glasses getting mashed against my skull from the ear muffs. I have tried putting the glasses on top of the ear muffs but that is entirely inefficient. Not only that, if I turn my head a certain degree to the right or the left the eyeglasses cause a gap under the muffs that now the muffs are essentially ineffective at noise reduction. If the range didn't require it, I would risk not wearing safety glasses at all. Anyone have a better setup than this? Are the "in the ear hearing protection" devices that are currently out good enough to reduce the dB's enough to work alone by themselves? Or are there other types of over the ear hearing protection out there that accommodates glasses comfortably?

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/10/19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Theringworm
I have the Howard Leights electronic noise canceling muffs and my biggest gripe with them is that they are an absolute PITA while wearing safety glasses. My head hurts so bad after a shooting session that I typically cut it short when I just can't take the pain from the ear piece of the glasses getting mashed against my skull from the ear muffs. I have tried putting the glasses on top of the ear muffs but that is entirely inefficient. Not only that, if I turn my head a certain degree to the right or the left the eyeglasses cause a gap under the muffs that now the muffs are essentially ineffective at noise reduction. If the range didn't require it, I would risk not wearing safety glasses at all. Anyone have a better setup than this? Are the "in the ear hearing protection" devices that are currently out good enough to reduce the dB's enough to work alone by themselves? Or are there other types of over the ear hearing protection out there that accommodates glasses comfortably?

Go with the expensive gel ear pads. Super comfy and they have a relief cut out for your glasses. Comfy enough for me to wear while watching tv.

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/10/19 01:16 PM

Cast or Judd........is this the model you recommend? I don’t see any mention for cutouts for eyeglasses on the description. Just want to verify before purchasing. Thanks

https://srstactical.com/featured-products/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-x-hearing-protection-headset.html

Or do you prefer the neck band style?

https://srstactical.com/all-product...neckband-hearing-protection-headset.html

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/10/19 01:44 PM

Just put THESE on your Howard Leigh’s.

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/10/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Just put THESE on your Howard Leigh’s.

I’ll give it try. Thanks
Posted By: Judd

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/10/19 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Theringworm
Cast or Judd........is this the model you recommend? I don’t see any mention for cutouts for eyeglasses on the description. Just want to verify before purchasing. Thanks

https://srstactical.com/featured-products/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-x-hearing-protection-headset.html

That's what I have and recommend, yes sir.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/12/19 07:47 PM

I use electronic ear buds. Can't take the heat from muffs plus hate the glasses thing.

28 or 30 Db reduction is good enough for me -- maybe I lost enough hearing to where i don't ever need to double up.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/14/19 01:14 PM

I don't know where or how to acquire a pair of them but the military triple flange ear plugs are the best you can put in your ears for noise reduction. They are small , out of the way when actually shooting and I would not think they are very expensive. They were good enough I could wear them on the flight line with jet engines running half throttle and sounded like a honey bee in my ear. If I remember correct, they are 33-34 dba rated.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/14/19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by TLew
I use electronic ear buds. Can't take the heat from muffs plus hate the glasses thing.

28 or 30 Db reduction is good enough for me -- maybe I lost enough hearing to where i don't ever need to double up.

It doesn't work like that. Your hearing will continue to be damaged.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/14/19 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I don't know where or how to acquire a pair of them but the military triple flange ear plugs are the best you can put in your ears for noise reduction. They are small , out of the way when actually shooting and I would not think they are very expensive. They were good enough I could wear them on the flight line with jet engines running half throttle and sounded like a honey bee in my ear. If I remember correct, they are 33-34 dba rated.

Hopefully not these

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...ng-over-these-defective-combat-earplugs/

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/15/19 02:12 AM

These ?

[Linked Image]

Amazon has these.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/15/19 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by TLew

It doesn't work like that. Your hearing will continue to be damaged.

Haha I know DNS, was just making the point that it doesn't hurt so I don't notice smile

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/15/19 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cleric

Hopefully not these

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...ng-over-these-defective-combat-earplugs/

Cleric, those are not the triple flange type of years ago. I do mean years ago, I was using the triple flange type in the mid 60's so you can see I am older than dirt. I use to buy them on Military.com., I think that was the online web site but even that was 10-15 years ago.

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/15/19 08:45 PM

These ?

[Linked Image]

Amazon has these.

Cast, those look just like what I was talking about but the ones I used for years came in a plastic container that had a swivel top with a small chain to fasten to shirt pocket or belt.

Re: Noise canceling ears - 07/15/19 09:30 PM

These ?

[Linked Image]

Amazon has these.

Cast, those look just like what I was talking about but the ones I used for years came in a plastic container that had a swivel top with a small chain to fasten to shirt pocket or belt.

These come with that container. I bought a pack/12. Thanks, just what I was looking for.

Re: Noise canceling ears - 08/14/19 08:20 PM

Just as a follow up, I bought both these that Cast recommended to go over my Howard Leights.

https://www.amazon.com/Noisefighter...ay&sprefix=noisefighters+&sr=8-1

They work well, are a cheap fix and help improve the comfort.

Judd recommended these which I also bought and are hands down AMAZING! You don’t want for anything and the noise reduction was way more significant than the Howard Leights.

One additional item I’ll highly recommended as this was the reason I started this thread were the protective glasses.

https://srstactical.com/all-product...-sport-securefit-400-safety-glasses.html

If you don’t own a pair you should. For $5.95 you have no reason not to. Super light weight. The ear frame pieces are flat and sit nicely under your ear muffs. Just got back from the range and not once had any discomfort. Thanks THF for the recommendations.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Noise canceling ears - 08/15/19 02:19 AM

Does anyone have any recommendation for affordable electronic muffs for kids? My 8 yr old hunts with me and I wear Walkers, would be nice if he could have some too. He normally wears normal youth sized muffs and knows to put them on when I reach for the gun. This may be his year to reach for the gun so I want him to have a set he can wear the whole hunt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum