Texas Hunting Forum

Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer

Posted By: pertnear

Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 11/21/18 03:06 PM

Well I finally broke down & bought a pair of Chippewa snake boots. I've been wearing them around the neighborhood when I walk for break-in. Once they are are on, they are quite comfortable for boots. They don't have a side zipper so they are a tough to get on & off, at least for me (I use a boot puller). I've been wearing some high-top kinda thick athletic socks. After a brisk mile or two walk the socks feel like they are gathering at my toes. It's not cold yet, but a thick pair of socks would seem to make them impossible to get off & on. Are there some tricks or suggestions on socks or break-in to make things easier? TIA
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 11/21/18 03:17 PM

Might try a little baby powder or foot powder in them. Keeps the socks from sliding and might make them easier to get off. Not too much since you'll be wearing them in the woods.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 11/22/18 02:02 AM

Wear wool socks. Works with mine.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 11/26/18 02:42 PM

Did you see the rear zip snake boots by them..??
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 11/26/18 09:31 PM

I use Nike basketball socks with the "L" and "R" on the toes. NO MORE SLIPPING!
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 11/26/18 10:26 PM

Under Armour also makes fitted socks in Left and Right. I wear them with my running shoes and really like them.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 12/10/18 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
Well I finally broke down & bought a pair of Chippewa snake boots. I've been wearing them around the neighborhood when I walk for break-in. Once they are are on, they are quite comfortable for boots. They don't have a side zipper so they are a tough to get on & off, at least for me (I use a boot puller). I've been wearing some high-top kinda thick athletic socks. After a brisk mile or two walk the socks feel like they are gathering at my toes. It's not cold yet, but a thick pair of socks would seem to make them impossible to get off & on. Are there some tricks or suggestions on socks or break-in to make things easier? TIA
.. Buy a good pair of wool over the calf socks...wont bunch up on ya and will keep your feet dry......
Posted By: JCO

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 12/11/18 03:17 AM

The Under Armour fitted socks are a little taller than the Nike. I have both that I wear with regular boots. The UA or a longer wool is my choice for for the Chippewa.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 12/11/18 07:44 PM

I wear my soccer socks and those work great for me
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 12/11/18 09:25 PM

Garters like your granddad
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 12/13/18 02:14 AM

I use sock liners or a slick dress sock. I'll put the sock liners under a regular pair of socks (not the thick kind.) But I will tell you I had the same Chippewa boot that I wore for the last two years and my feet were completely worn out & sore at the end of day. I contribute the loss of my big toe toenail to the boot last year. This year I went out and bought some Irish Setter Lace Up Snake Boots. Here is the link https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/iri...uetimber-htc-green-hunting-boots-for-men .. These Boots fit my feet like a tennis shoe and are very comfortable. With that said my brother wears Chippewa and he likes them.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 12/13/18 10:54 PM

I don't have Chippewas, but I wear quality hiking socks with my hunting boots.
Hiking Socks
Posted By: 280AI

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 01/19/19 03:34 PM

Buy a larger boot
Posted By: ETXRaider

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 01/22/19 08:36 PM

Change sock type or tape them up. And that's no fun
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Advice for 1st time snake boot wearer - 01/25/19 06:09 PM

travel back in time and get the back zipper model? I broke mine in charging through the brush looking for quail. Great boots
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum