Texas Hunting Forum

Let’s talk socks

Posted By: jskin

Let’s talk socks - 11/12/18 04:14 AM

What do you guys use for quality socks? Looking for a good sock for walking/hiking and a different one for colder weather.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/12/18 01:17 PM

For general walking and scouting I use Under Armour. Not sure of the product ID. They are canted for right and left foot, offer plenty of cushion and stay up over the ankle. I don’t have a good suggestion for cold weather although any of the name brand with merino wool should be the better option.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/12/18 06:34 PM

Smartwool... period.
merino wool all the way.
i wear them year round and I spend a LOT of time in S. TX.
I wear lightweight in the summer and they work just as well wicking moisture in the heat to keep your feet dry and not get blisters.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/12/18 07:10 PM

I have some Darn Tough. They will keep your feet warm when sitting but they can get quite warm if moving around.
Posted By: tchunter

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/12/18 08:15 PM

BassPro lifetime
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/12/18 11:10 PM

jskin, go to Kenetrek socks, get the ultimate liner and the canada socks. you will thank me later . ENJOY
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/12/18 11:55 PM

Gold Toe
Posted By: thegrouse

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/13/18 03:52 AM

Darn Tough wool socks. You just hang them at the end of the day over a door or in a tent. They do not smell after many days without washing.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/13/18 01:22 PM

I love sock talk. The only hunting socks I use are the People's Sock!

https://www.peoplesocks.com
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/13/18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by First_Chance
Smartwool... period.
merino wool all the way.
I wear lightweight in the summer and they work just as well wicking moisture in the heat to keep your feet dry and not get blisters.

Gumbeaux approves this post.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/13/18 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by First_Chance
Smartwool... period.
merino wool all the way.

+1
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/16/18 09:12 AM

Cabelas brand wool socks. Comfortable, durable, $12.99 for a 3-pack. They go on sale several times a year..
Posted By: MikeOH

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/16/18 06:05 PM

Darn Tough for me. Best I have owned.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/16/18 06:28 PM

Thorlo wool socks work for me.
Posted By: richard-ssv

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/16/18 07:33 PM

I bought several different levels of Merino wool socks for this year. First I used some midweight 71% merino wool socks from Smartwool. Very comfortable and warm for temps in the 50's-60's, but also wearable in warmer temps as well.

For colder weather I bought Smartwool Mountaineering sock that is 74% merino wool. These are the warmest socks that Smartwool makes. They're are super thick and warm. They don't leave a ton of space inside your boot though, so if your boots are tight beware. These socks kept my feet warm when I wore them in upper 30's temps.

I also tried a pair of Darn Tough Hunter extra cushion socks. These socks are 79% merino wool and go all the way up to your knees. DT socks seem to be woven much tighter than Smartwool socks. Because of the tighter weave they don't feel as thick as the Smartwool. This can be a plus though, as there is less bulk inside your boot, leaving room for toe warmers, etc..

I wore the DT socks the weekend before last when it was 29 degrees in the morning. I paired them with a set of toe warmers, but the warmers I had must have been old, because they didn't work. My feet were slightly cold, but not unbearable. Had the toe warmers worked I think these would have been the perfect setup for colder weather. For slightly warmer weather (30's) I think I prefer the Smartwool Mountaineering socks. They are just more comfortable and cozy, but they're too bulky to add toe warmers to them unless you go up a size in your boot.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Let’s talk socks - 11/16/18 09:26 PM

Nylon or polypropylene sock liners with wool socks. The sock liners help to wick the moisture off your feet and keep your feet warm.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Let’s talk socks - 12/03/18 02:56 PM

Another vote for Smartwool. You can find them light enough or heavy enough for any weather.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Let’s talk socks - 12/03/18 03:05 PM

I wear smart wool PhD socks almost 365 days year. And I wear a suit and tie M-F.

When temps get real low I will switch to farm for feet out side of work.

Firstlite, darn tough, kuiu, etc all make good socks. I’ve used or own all them. I prefer the thickness of the smart will PhD, in majority of my footwear
Posted By: CB09

Re: Let’s talk socks - 12/03/18 04:07 PM

I picked up a pair of the KUIU over the calf socks and i have really liked them so far.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Let’s talk socks - 12/04/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by CB09
I picked up a pair of the KUIU over the calf socks and i have really liked them so far.

Be careful washing, mine shrunk real bad. Other then that the mapping in then make them extremely comfortable
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Let’s talk socks - 12/04/18 04:33 PM

For general blind sitting a simple plastic walmart sack on the foot before pulling on a sock works wonders. Keeps the heat in

Not good for hiking as your feet will sweat.
Posted By: lunatichunter

Re: Let’s talk socks - 12/20/18 02:16 AM

Smartwool, Darn tough.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Let’s talk socks - 12/22/18 02:53 PM

I went looking for wool socks a couple of weeks ago. Went to Academy first and every thing I found claiming to be wool socks was 60% polyester, 12% nylon, 18% acrylic and 10% wool. What a crock.

I went from Academy to Bass Pro and asked the sales clerk if he had any REAL wool socks and he replies the Redhead socks at the end of that display but they are only 81% wool. I said I'll tame em and bought two pair. So far I am pleased.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Let’s talk socks - 12/24/18 02:56 PM

Smartwool over the calf for me as well. Not cheap at $25 but my first pair has lasted over 4 years now.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Let’s talk socks - 01/31/19 08:41 PM

I worked in Edmonton AB for a few winters. I bought Redhead wool socks at Bass Pro Shop. They're thick so have room in your boots.

Papalote
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Let’s talk socks - 02/12/19 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Papalote
I worked in Edmonton AB for a few winters. I bought Redhead wool socks at Bass Pro Shop. They're thick so have room in your boots.

Papalote

That's all I have ever used. Have 3 or 4 pair. Good down to upper teens in the blind. We very nice this past weekend in the 30s with no buddy heater needed.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Let’s talk socks - 02/12/19 09:08 PM

For hot weather, Darn Tough makes a real good Coolmax sock. I wear those with a breathable, non waterproof boot and my feet stay very comfortable. For cold, a merino wool sock with a wicking liner can't be beat.
Posted By: Okie Newton

Re: Let’s talk socks - 02/13/19 01:01 PM

Cabela's for me. I have used Danner as well. They also make decent boots.
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Let’s talk socks - 03/08/19 11:29 PM

Darn Tough are as good as it gets for hiking or packing and hunting. Pick the cushion level for what is needed or coolmax for warm weather.
Posted By: OTL91

Re: Let’s talk socks - 05/25/19 07:41 PM

Due to my job I wear boots everyday and some weeks I wear them for 20+ hours a day. I have merino wool socks called Feets that I got five years ago. Wore them through them through ranger school and then four and a half years of work after that. Just now started replacing them. Work great in all temperatures. Paid twelve dollars a pair.
Posted By: Daniel Boone

Re: Let’s talk socks - 05/25/19 11:07 PM

You might try looking at Kennetrek socks and liners. They are expensive but well worth it in my opinion.
Posted By: mow

Re: Let’s talk socks - 05/27/19 12:43 PM

i love the redhead brand marino wool socks..ive used them for house shoes for several years and they never wear out...my wife found the lowcut ones..not redhead that i wear when its cold with my tenny shoes
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Let’s talk socks - 06/24/19 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by MikeOH

Me too. Have used them for 8 years at least.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Let’s talk socks - 06/24/19 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by MikeOH

Me too. Have used them for 8 years at least.

Bought these for my son and I last year and very happy.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Let’s talk socks - 06/27/19 11:09 AM

SmartWool here. Especially when I can get them 50% off thru my wife's employee discount!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum