Texas Hunting Forum

Earmuffs

Posted By: General Guts

Earmuffs - 05/08/18 10:09 PM

Are all earmuffs equal basically when it comes to ear protection for shooting?
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Earmuffs - 05/09/18 12:48 AM

I'm sure most modern earmuffs do a decent job. I use the electronic kind though I don't know why. I can't hear thunder anyway.
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Earmuffs - 05/09/18 02:20 AM

That is kind of a loaded question. The NRR (noise reduction rating) dictates how many decibels will be reduced by the earmuff when worn correctly. In most cases, with muffs, the higher the NRR, the bulkier the muffs. What this means is that it will be hard to wear them correctly and get a good cheek weld when shooting long guns. Obviously when shooting handguns, it isn't the case.

What I have started doing is wearing the slimmer electronic muffs (Howard Leights or Walkers) and also wearing the cheap foam ear plugs at the same time. The hearing enhancement of the muffs make it easy to hear conversations even with the plugs in, but when shooting you get the benefit of double protection.

Not that you asked, but one of the most common reasons for flinching is noise (leakage through muffs).
Posted By: General Guts

Re: Earmuffs - 05/09/18 03:11 AM

I'm not an avid shooter. I am looking for enough to keep my ears from ringing for a day

Thanks for all the info
Posted By: GLC

Re: Earmuffs - 05/09/18 11:47 AM

I use foam plugs with ear muffs over them. Got to save what little I have left.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Earmuffs - 05/10/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC

I do the same....
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Earmuffs - 05/12/18 07:38 AM

Years ago I set up a shooting range at my place straight down the side of a power line ROW, about 900 yards long. Now when I wear modern e-muffs there I get a "hum" from the power lines that really messes up my ears for a day. I wear standard plugs and muffs there now.
Posted By: spg

Re: Earmuffs - 05/16/18 04:48 AM

Howard Leights low profile impact are all I use for hunting if I'm shooting at my range I use plugs. Decent price and work good enough to prevent ear ringing from muzzle breaks and large handguns.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Earmuffs - 05/17/18 03:51 PM

I wouldn't buy the Ghost Stryke ones that let you hear normally until you pull the trigger. Dang sure not worth the $400 that I paid for them.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Earmuffs - 06/21/18 10:52 AM

x2 what SPG said--- Order a pair of Howard Leights electronic low profile for like $55 and never worry about it again. I shoot everything from my 9mm up to my braked 7RUM and 338 with no issues.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Earmuffs - 06/23/18 01:17 AM

I use the fairly inexpensive 3M muffs from Home Depot. Made by Peltor and have about the highest NRR I know of. Yes, they are bulky, but don’t cause any problem when shooting.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Earmuffs - 06/23/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: duckhunter175
x2 what SPG said--- Order a pair of Howard Leights electronic low profile for like $55 and never worry about it again. I shoot everything from my 9mm up to my braked 7RUM and 338 with no issues.

Y’all just cost me money. muyloco
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Earmuffs - 06/28/18 05:24 PM

When we were young and couldn't afford ear muffs we used cigarette butts.....LOL
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Earmuffs - 08/22/18 06:20 PM

Kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders smile
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Earmuffs - 08/27/18 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg Z

Kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders smile

Naw, more like wearing a coat over your shirt in the winter time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum