Texas Hunting Forum

Snake Protection.....what do you use?

Posted By: Gillium

Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/02/18 07:18 PM

I'm curious to know what everyone uses in regards to snake protection?

Currently I never had a reason to own a pair of snake boots but now I do since in the off season I will be involved with helping a buddy clear his property in preparation for next season. The place I hunted before had well established roads/camp so all we needed was regular hiking shoes and the occasionally mud boot. Was thinking about getting a pair of Chippewa's but do I also need some Snake proof chaps?

What snake proof boots does everyone wear? Do you wear anything else besides boots? Would like to hear everyone's' thoughts
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/02/18 08:37 PM

I wear Chippewas and that's it.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/03/18 02:05 AM

I grew up in west Texas and we have plenty of rattlesnakes. Just keep your eyes and ears open and you’ll be fine. The only people I’ve see bitten by snakes were playing with them or trying to catch them. It’s not worth wearing all of that hot protective bullsht.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/03/18 02:12 AM

I wear Danner Snake boots and don't worry but am always aware of surroundings.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/03/18 03:23 AM

Snake Charmer.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/03/18 11:52 AM

Danner Sharptail is what I wear when hunting if it's hot enough for snakes to be out and active. Easy on/off and comfortable. 17" height.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/03/18 12:05 PM

I also don’t worry about them. And, my place is loaded with them.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/03/18 02:44 PM

Red Head, have served me well for about 10 yrs.

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/04/18 03:16 PM

Go to any rural coffee shop in the morning. Ask the local guys what they wear. They will look at you like you’re nuts.

I have a friend whose Father was a rural West Texas Doctor. He said that he treated 27 snake bites during a 40 or so year career. All but 2 were on hands checking chicken nests, reaching into or under stuff, etc.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/04/18 05:14 PM

Quote:
Go to any rural coffee shop in the morning. Ask the local guys what they wear. They will look at you like you’re nuts.

These are the same guys who don't wear the correct protective gear when handling pesticides, who don't carry first aid kits, etc.?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/04/18 07:19 PM

I usually keep a hook or two, a pair of tongs, and several pillow cases......oh, and zip ties....in the truck with me. up
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/04/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I usually keep a hook or two, a pair of tongs, and several pillow cases......oh, and zip ties....in the truck with me. up

Lol, I just go the other way.

I wear snake boots anytime I'm off pavement....
Posted By: JCO

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/05/18 12:08 AM

Anyone ever try the Justins?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/05/18 12:43 AM

I've wandered all over the country, without snake boots, just wearing cowboy boots. The closest I ever came to getting bit was picking up trash the wind blew out the barrel, under a cardboard box was a little rattle snake, he was promptly disposed of by my son with a BB gun.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/05/18 02:06 AM

I have a pair of Bass Pro lace up and Magellan zip up style from Academy. I wear them all the time.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/05/18 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: JCO

I have a pair but like my Pronghorn sidezips better.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/05/18 05:02 AM

All it takes is once. Not sure how a little protection is so intrusive? Apparently it makes you a sissy too. confused2

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/05/18 12:32 PM

I’ve owned land just South of Bowie for about 35 years and am there a lot. I don’t know any locals that wear snake boots or have ever been bitten. I sometimes see them but have only been seriously threatened once in a fairly long life. And, l seem to have a bumper crop of rattlers; not so many copperheads. No idea what happened to all the king snakes.
Posted By: Gillium

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/05/18 02:38 PM

Sounds like most wear just snake boots if any at all. That's good to know because I wasn't looking forward to wearing caps lol.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/05/18 08:33 PM

Cheap, cheap insurance. I look where I walk and where I put my hands but have been known to get out to the dove field before the sun comes up, or commence to clearing brush at the deer lease without looking around first.

I dang near stepped on one on Sept. 1st a few years back. Was walking across the field thinking about how hot those boots were and how I've never seen a snake out there. Was shooting one just a few minutes later that I had just stepped over.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/06/18 12:43 PM

I tried on a few kinds and ended up with the Justins, great boots, mostly wear them weed eating so I don't get stickers in my legs.
Posted By: jimmyboy

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/07/18 10:01 PM

Chippewas up
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/08/18 02:43 AM

I wear Rockies but not until I tried on several pair of different brands. What feels good to my feet may not suit others. If they're branded as snake boots, they'll be effective with stopping bites. I prefer zip ups over lace-ups. Some just prefer slip on like a regular boot. The $150 I paid for mine felt better than some that were quite a bit higher in price. That said, those boots don't help your hand / arm if you're reaching into places you shouldn't.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/08/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: jimmyboy
Chippewas up
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/16/18 03:59 PM

I use a calendar.

I only go to Texas in the cold months when the snakes are hibernating.

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/17/18 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: VAFish
I use a calendar.

Not a single month in Texas where snakes are not a potential hazard......
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/25/18 07:16 PM

Ruger gp 100, with number 4 shot .357 rounds in it
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/25/18 07:40 PM

Rocky Aztecs and Bond Arms Snake Charmer.
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/27/18 01:50 AM

Chippewas, Bond Arms Snake Charmer.
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 02/27/18 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson

I have a friend whose Father was a rural West Texas Doctor. He said that he treated 27 snake bites during a 40 or so year career. All but 2 were on hands checking chicken nests, reaching into or under stuff, etc.

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: VAFish
I use a calendar.

Not a single month in Texas where snakes are not a potential hazard......

Correct

Also if you ask locals what they wear they won’t look at you crazy. Plenty of guys wear protection if they’re gonna be in the brush and any other time they’ve got on at least cowboy boots. In West Texas they do anyway

My pick is Chippewa and I wear them on our place 99% of the time even in the cold months. Even if low chance of snakes they block prickly pear great also
Posted By: TXDuckCreeklabs

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 03/02/18 06:17 PM

Snake boots
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 03/03/18 01:32 AM

I'm a forester. I spend more time out in the sticks then most. I very seldom wear snake boots but I do watch where I step. The boots get hot and there is a lot better footwear for walking. There is not a snake under every log and bush. When it's cool they will be either in the sun or on a surface that holds heat. When it's hot they will most likely be under something or in the shade. On warm winter days they will be near a den. Fall is the breeding season and they will be crawling. Pay attention to what you are doing and you will be fine.
Posted By: Mike Mathena

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 03/03/18 03:12 AM

Funny, i have been thinking about buying my first pair of snake boots wondering if i really need em
Posted By: breadman

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 03/04/18 02:50 PM

Taurus judge 410 71/2 shot
Posted By: AnythingSportsman

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 03/04/18 04:53 PM

I have put my Lacrosse snake boots through hell and they hold up, comfortable as well.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 03/09/18 12:45 AM

Better safe than sorry. I wear a simple Academy brand (Game Winner) They are very comfortable and have a tough sole as well. They can get a bit hot in the summer but with good wicking socks all is good.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 03/09/18 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I grew up in west Texas and we have plenty of rattlesnakes. Just keep your eyes and ears open and you’ll be fine. The only people I’ve see bitten by snakes were playing with them or trying to catch them. It’s not worth wearing all of that hot protective bullsht.
you ever fix line fence, do any kind of ranch or farm work?
Posted By: Rafeal Nandi

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 04/02/18 02:25 AM

Yeah, snake boots is needed for safe hunting.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 04/05/18 10:12 PM

Loads of rattlers on my place. Wear snake boots when I'm walking is thick weeds and brush.I kill at least 3 to 4 a year from 6 inches to 5 feet. I am always vigilant as they often just appear out of no where.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 04/05/18 10:25 PM

I have another reason that I ALWAYS wear boots on my place...the older I get, the worse my tinnitus. There are times when my ears are ringing enough that I am not sure I would hear the pitch of rattles while walking. I've also had a couple of times in the last year or so when I am sure I can hear a rattler, and then realize its just the ringing. That will get your heart rate elevated!
Posted By: tigger

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 04/05/18 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalroo
I have another reason that I ALWAYS wear boots on my place...the older I get, the worse my tinnitus. There are times when my ears are ringing enough that I am not sure I would hear the pitch of rattles while walking. I've also had a couple of times in the last year or so when I am sure I can hear a rattler, and then realize its just the ringing. That will get your heart rate elevated!

I cannot and it is scary

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 04/06/18 11:38 PM

Certain things I can’t hear. A rattler buzzing is one of them. I can see their tail shaking but can’t hear sounds of that pitch. Never wear my hearing aids in the woods. They’re too dang expensive to take a chance on losing them.
Posted By: mreed

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 04/12/18 12:25 PM

I’d be more worried about your hands and arms than your legs, just pay attention to what you’re doing and you’ll be fine. Most snakes will get out of dodge when you start kicking and shaking brush or barn tin
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 05/13/18 01:03 AM

I plan on buying snake gaiters from turtleskin.com expensive but if they can last for years I think they will be worth it.

When you wear a size 17 shoe it is tough to find snake boots. These gaiters look to be the answer especially since they have the larger size.

heck its tough just to find a good pair of boots to be honest.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 05/14/18 06:50 PM

Those turtleskin gaiters are HEAVY and HOT!
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 06/14/18 09:54 PM

I can definitely see them causing your legs to sweat especially in the summer when you will be wearing them but at 6 oz a piece I dont see how that is very heavy at all. That sounds extremely light to me.
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 06/27/18 05:59 PM

I have stepped on 2 rattlesnakes in my life and nearly got bit by one that was hiding under salt grass. I agree with some that you don't need protection if you just stay alert but I wear waterproof snake boots just for a peace of mind.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 07/09/18 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Cherokee Mingan
I have stepped on 2 rattlesnakes in my life and nearly got bit by one that was hiding under salt grass. I agree with some that you don't need protection if you just stay alert but I wear waterproof snake boots just for a peace of mind.

This.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 07/12/18 02:02 PM

In the market for some new gaiters since I hate snake boots. Leaning toward turtle skins but I saw a set from Australia/NZ that drew my eye. Anyone know anything about Hunters Element Venom Gaiters?

My concern would be it was only tested on Aussie snakes which have smaller fangs than a rattler (more in line with cottonmouths)
Posted By: easttxhoghunter

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 07/13/18 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: AnythingSportsman
I have put my Lacrosse snake boots through hell and they hold up, comfortable as well.
I loved my Lacrosse snake boots until the sole separated on one while night hunting, had to ductape them, they were only a year old. They are lightweight and the most comfortable boot I've ever worn, a little warm in the summer, but not too bad. Just wish they were better made, most shoes and boots made in China these days are falling apart at the sole prematurely, (cheap glue).
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 08/11/18 10:24 PM

I wear Chippewas year round.
Posted By: bigcoyote

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 08/14/18 02:27 AM

Anyone here actually have their boots/chaps save them from a bite?
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 09/01/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Cajun Raider
I wear Danner Snake boots and don't worry but am always aware of surroundings.

Same here. I also pack snake shot in my 45 LC. I am not one to kill snakes without reason.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 09/01/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: bigcoyote

A buddy of mine in high school had plenty of bites on his chaps when we were hunting snakes. We’d put him down in a Cystern and he’d throw them up through the hole. Those chaps work and that little SOB wasn’t scared of them at all. We’re 30 years older now and we sent him under our camphouse to fix a water leak in November, ( He’s the only one small enough to fit through the underpinning access. He said there was at least 100 rattlers under there. He fixed the leak and said he was t going back in until summer. A family will change your perspective on snakes I guess.
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 09/16/18 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: JCO

I've had the Justins for a couple of yrs now. Only wear them when hunting. They're pretty comfortable, but can be tiring if you do a lot of walking.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 09/16/18 04:34 PM

Plastic snake leggings. Cheap, easy on/off, noisy as hell but great for weed-eating the yard in your shorts during the off-season. Recently bought some Chip's for hunting So. Tx. Mainly for brush protection more than for snake protection.

BTW: I have a good friend that wanders South Texas all year long looking for arrowheads as a hobby & he sees ALOT of rattlers. After carrying many snake-shooters he has settled on a snub nose .38 LCR with a laser & shoots shot capsules. The rig weighs nothing & the laser allows easy aiming at the usual close quarter encounters!
Posted By: JCO

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 09/20/18 05:09 AM

Have a pair of Danners and love them. Bought some Chippewas this year for easier on and off during dove hunts. Both are comfortable.
Posted By: remingtonTX

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 09/21/18 11:44 AM

Just picked up a pair of Lacrosse Venom snake boots. After encountering two rattlers that never rattled once even with me 2 ft away, I decided it's better safe than sorry.

Side benefit: they keep the thorns and stickers out of my lower legs. my cheap Academy pants aren't the most durable but these will help me get another season or two out of them.
Posted By: Dogmountin

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 10/19/18 07:26 PM

I just wear a pair of good leather Danner Boots and these Snake Proof Chaps. They are very light with good ventilation and a long YKK zipper, so I can put on/take off with boots on.

Typically don't see snakes much, although had a big timber rattler too close for comfort last year in Montana.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 10/22/18 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: jimmyboy
Chippewas up

and be smart, not a dumb azz

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 11/22/18 10:39 AM

I've just about run out of snakes and they used to be everywhere. Too dang many hogs. We saw a huge rattler last month while filling feeders. I told the Grandkids to not bother it. Maybe it will eat some of the tree rats that have destroyed feeders.

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 11/26/18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I've just about run out of snakes and they used to be everywhere. Too dang many hogs. We saw a huge rattler last month while filling feeders. I told the Grandkids to not bother it. Maybe it will eat some of the tree rats that have destroyed feeders.

up
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 12/13/18 02:15 AM

Irish Setter Lace Up Snake Boots
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 12/14/18 04:15 PM

I just wear my regular hunting or cowboy boots. Just don't wear tennis shoes..
Posted By: Ktexas14

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 01/08/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cherokee Mingan

I have stepped on a juvenile rattlesnake December in South Texas, it was cool so the snake was slow. That snake lost it's life to a glock 22. I was also inches from stepping on a cotton mouth in North Texas in September a few years back, it lost its life to a 20 gauge. Still dont have snake boots, but always carry something when in the woods.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 05/18/19 06:14 PM

I wear snake boots to protect my shins from prickly pear.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 05/18/19 07:25 PM

Game Winner snake boots and paying attention.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 06/28/19 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

These are the same guys who don't wear the correct protective gear when handling pesticides, who don't carry first aid kits, etc.?

yep, my dad did not wear any protective gear, he went through the dust bowl, tornado took the old house 3' off the foundation, never heard him say a cross word about any body, he died to soon at age 67, coffee shop? hell he didn't have time for such chit
Posted By: hetman

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 06/29/19 03:21 PM

Snake boots = Cheap deterrent

A snake bite=$30.000 to $100,000 in medical expense ( a lot of insurance will not cover snakebite)

a typical antivenom vial costs $1,500 to $2,200, but a snakebite requires between 20 and 25 vials to be neutralized. If you add these up, a man bitten in the US by a venomous snake would have to pay $30,000 in pharmacy costs alone
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 06/29/19 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by bigcoyote

One of our lease members got hit on his snake boot at camp toward the end of bow season last year he killed the snake before it got away. My boots are Lacrosse I think his are also.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 07/02/19 08:04 PM

I use Justin snake boots, but had them resoled with a Vibram sole for better traction.

They have been very durable and are very comfortable.

I wear them almost 100% of the time outdoors.

They saved my bacon when I stepped dead on top of a coiled water moccasin.

The only reason it could not strike was because my full body weight was on it, and the boots were tall enough that it could not reach above the top of the boot while whipping around.

I looked like the Space Shuttle launching coming off of that snake. After that I am pretty sure that a heart attack will be the cause of death before a snake bite.
Posted By: texaspirate

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 07/31/19 02:24 AM

I wear the Chippewas but honestly I do it for the damn briars and cactus thorns.... they are very comfortable for me... most comfortable footwear i own.. easy on and off... and walk through anything.

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 07/31/19 11:41 AM

When this thread started I was loaded with snakes of all kinds. Then the hogs moved in and I’ve seen about 3 snakes in the last year or so.
Posted By: Bayharbor

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 08/01/19 04:43 AM

Muck snake boots. Very comfortable rubber boots. Easy slip on and off
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Snake Protection.....what do you use? - 08/27/19 02:05 PM

I've had mine for 7 years, and they are awesome! I forget that I'm wearing them. The only thing I don't like is the way they look. lol I'm not a fan of the curved tops.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum