Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting day packs

Posted By: Johnny Rocket

Hunting day packs - 01/09/18 02:07 AM

Looking for a light weight day pack that I can lug some gear and food into hunting spot and out without breaking my back or wallet. Any suggestions? I have a badlands 2200 but for most local hunting trips it’s too much bag...
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/09/18 03:19 AM

For that use just about any one will do. I picked up one for about 20 bucks at a gun show years ago.Here’s one on Amazon:

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/09/18 06:45 PM

The badlands superday is a little smaller than the 2200, but it isn't cheap as you know.

I use the superday as I felt the 2200 was a bit big for my day use needs.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/09/18 07:58 PM

Nog just posted something tactical....

Where’s my Bert stare when I need it....

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/10/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Nog just posted something tactical....

Where’s my Bert stare when I need it....

Lol for $23 I don’t care if it’s Affliction as long as it will carry my stuff to the blind. smile
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/10/18 01:24 AM

I would too, as long is it doesn’t have that stupid boner collector garbage on it.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/10/18 09:35 PM

Check on Camofire.com occasionally.
Posted By: KeyLymePie

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/12/18 03:32 AM

For a cheap, simple day pack that insnt going to carry much but is tough I have a German surplus pack I picked up years ago that has been excellent. I use it to carry coffee, food and a kill kit along with my heavy jacket and a few other minor things. Its basic as hell but great for what it does. You can get one here: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/b...ASABEgJM5_D_BwE

These things are so common I'd imagine any military surplus store will have one too.
Posted By: mphunter

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/12/18 10:54 PM

I’d like to add to this thread a question. I’m looking for a day pack as well, but would love to know what you all have done when you have to pack out an animal? I hunted recently in terrain that was very thick. I had my large frame pack on and it was terrible! I had to get on all fours at times to get under trees, etc. really would like a smaller pack but what to do when I pack an animal out a mile or two??

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/13/18 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: mphunter
I’d like to add to this thread a question. I’m looking for a day pack as well, but would love to know what you all have done when you have to pack out an animal? I hunted recently in terrain that was very thick. I had my large frame pack on and it was terrible! I had to get on all fours at times to get under trees, etc. really would like a smaller pack but what to do when I pack an animal out a mile or two??

Most any good internal frame pack will also do fine in packing out quarters and/or meat.

Top line brands include Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch.
Just below those are brands like Badlands and Eberlestock. (I use an Eberlestock because I love their rifle scabbard feature.)
Most guys who don’t require a huge 7000-9000 ci pack but still need to haul an animal out on occasion compromise with a 3500-5500 ci pack and it simply doubles as their daypack while hunting.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/13/18 08:08 PM

I've got the Badlands Pursuit. It's ok for a day trip but would probably go Superday if I were buying again. Since you already have the 2200, the Pursuit may be a better compliment
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/14/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: mphunter

Your best bet is a sub 2500 cu in pack with load self. I would look at EXO, Mystery Ranch and Kuiu. Elberstock only has one pack with a load self and kifaru only has one sub 2000 bag with a load self but I t’s designed more for the train to hunt events. If you don’t have a load self then you get to stuff your pack with meat. Elberstock’s Rifle scabbard patent ends this year, out side of that they are not a comfortable pack compared to the ones I mentioned above.

For reference I did 7 days in Idaho with a 2000pack and a buddy did 5 days with same pack in CO this year.
Beauty of a load self, you can triple pack size with one dry bag. I run mainly the 2000 but on extended hunts I’ll run the 3500. The 3500 does cinch down and compress well but still a different profile then the 2000.

Of my almost 30 days hunting out west this year I used 2000cu in bag majority of the time.

Any specific questions feel free to PM me. I’ve used a lot of packs, including all frames i mentioned in this post
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/15/18 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Johnny Rocket
Looking for a light weight day pack that I can lug some gear and food into hunting spot and out without breaking my back or wallet. Any suggestions? I have a badlands 2200 but for most local hunting trips it’s too much bag...

Cabelas has a exclusive badlands pack called Axis, it has a flip up lid that allows easy stay open access when in a tree or blind.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Hunting day packs - 01/18/18 12:19 AM

I have 3 different Badlands packs. I use a 2200 or my Super Day pack for hunting out west but highly recommend the Pursuit for dayhunting. It works great for me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum