Texas Hunting Forum

New coat

Posted By: trigger time

New coat - 12/11/17 07:49 PM

I took a fairly impressive spill and slid about 100 yards down a mountain side a few weeks ago. Didn't realize my coat came off my pack, which leads me to ask. With all new high speed low drag clothing options out there now, whats the best bang for your buck? I've got some mid layer sitka gear, but I don't think I can justify one of their big coats. Does anyone have first hand experience/ opinions about companies like first lite, nomad, ext. specifically the coats.
Posted By: CB09

Re: New coat - 12/11/17 10:23 PM

I just got the Sitka Stratus coat($300) and wore it for the first time over the weekend and never got cold. Temps were in the mid to high 20's in the morning and i was stand hunting. Just had a mid base layer on and a flannel shirt under the coat. I used to think the bigger and fluffier the coat the warmer but not the case. I was very skeptical when i bought it b/c it is so light but it works for sure.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New coat - 12/12/17 01:29 PM

Mountain hardware stretch down
Posted By: Harrier

Re: New coat - 12/30/17 11:36 PM

We have lots of military surplus places here so I bought a woodland camo M65 field jacket. I think I paid $50 for it and another $10-15 for the quilted liner. It’s durable, quiet in the field and has lots of pockets. Downsides are it isn’t as warm as a parka, and it doesn’t pack up too well for carrying.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: New coat - 12/31/17 02:58 AM

sitka or kuiu - but start asking around, the 50% off friends and family from staffers isn't hard to come by.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum