Texas Hunting Forum

Portable GPS recommedations?

Posted By: LoneStarSportsman

Portable GPS recommedations? - 09/28/17 06:32 PM

I have a hunt coming up at Devils River SNA. I'll be huntin by myself. It would probably be a good idea to have a handheld GPS. What's the best ones for the money, or which ones are y'all most satisfied with?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Portable GPS recommedations? - 09/28/17 08:52 PM

Cellphone. Onxmaps and a blk energy charger

If budget was higher I'd go new garmin inreach plus

Re: Portable GPS recommedations? - 09/28/17 11:05 PM

I've heard about Onxmaps. Will it work if the phone doesn't have service?

Re: Portable GPS recommedations? - 09/29/17 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: LoneStarSportsman
I've heard about Onxmaps. Will it work if the phone doesn't have service?

Yes. It has a feature you can save areas. Basically can cache up to 150 miles on your phone.

I believe they have a 7 day free trail good my right now

Re: Portable GPS recommedations? - 09/30/17 01:41 AM

Nice, I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to check it out. Can you Mark locations such as where the truck is or points of interest, etc?

Re: Portable GPS recommedations? - 09/30/17 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: LoneStarSportsman
Nice, I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to check it out. Can you Mark locations such as where the truck is or points of interest, etc?

Yes and you can toggle through satellite, topo and hybrid layers. It even has a chartplotter function
Posted By: ciscooutdoorsman

Re: Portable GPS recommedations? - 10/03/17 01:42 AM

Absolutely love my Garmin 64 stc. Download garmin basecamp and you can make all kinds of useful maps and data. Takes a lot of time but worth it in the end
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Portable GPS recommedations? - 10/17/17 07:59 PM

Need help with onX. How do you navigate or go to from one waypoint to another as there is not a @go to” option like a normal GPS has. Please advise ASAP as I am going elk hunting in Colorado next week and would like to know how to use it before then. Thanks.
Posted By: rex47

Re: Portable GPS recommedations? - 10/20/17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Lone Ranger
Need help with onX. How do you navigate or go to from one waypoint to another as there is not a @go to” option like a normal GPS has. Please advise ASAP as I am going elk hunting in Colorado next week and would like to know how to use it before then. Thanks.

go to onxmaps.com
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum