Texas Hunting Forum

Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind

Posted By: rseveer63

Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/19/15 12:58 AM

I want to get a heater for my 4 x 6 blind. Not sure which one to get, Mr. Heater or Mr. Heater Little buddy. I don't want to under do it or over do it. Your thoughts and experience with these would help me make a decision. Thanks.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/19/15 01:47 AM

Little buddy doesn't put enough heat out for me on the real cold days.

My personal favorite is an old bathroom heater but you must have a regulator and open a window. Must be fire retardant a,so
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/19/15 02:35 AM

We've got Little Buddies in both of our blinds. Not too much, but not too little. For me it's perfect, but if you've got kids or a better half I'd go ahead and get the big one.
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/19/15 04:13 AM

Mr Heater... you can adjust heat output. Better to have the ability if you need it than wishing you had it

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/19/15 04:48 AM

I better go with Mr. Heater, the better half gets cold quick. I can always crack a window if needed. Thanks!
Posted By: Western

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/19/15 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: TheCloudX
Mr Heater... you can adjust heat output. Better to have the ability if you need it than wishing you had it

Thats is what I have and it works good with the adjustment.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/19/15 03:13 PM

Like others said, Mr Heater works great. Go ahead and get attachment hose for a bigger propane tank. The little green ones will only last me about 3 hours max
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/22/15 01:16 PM

My propane heater builds condensation on inside blind windows(deer view). I have a small squegee and paper towels but its very annoying. Wife needs the heater though. Any tips on combatting the condensation?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/22/15 01:31 PM

Northern Tool has a nice little blue flame heater called an ice fishing hut heater. It's adjustable and has a thermostat. That's what I'm putting in my new tank blind.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/24/15 10:05 PM

We use the old porcelain coated bathroom heaters in our box stands. Pick them up at flea markets and yard sales. We clean out the orifices with a torch tip clean-out bit and blow them out with compressed air. Quiet little blue flame and if you can find one with a flat top it'll heat one of those little tin-foil trays of cinnamon rolls very nicely. That'll buy you an extra hour in the stand at least on a cold morning.

edited to add: they are getting difficult to find, though. And I apologize, you said portable. We plumb ours to LP tanks under the stand with rubber gas-line and quick-connects.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/24/15 10:15 PM

get the big buddy heater then you won't have to worry. it has different settings. I have the little buddy and it does enough for me even when we had the mini ice age and we were in a pop up but it would have been nice to have the option for higher output.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/24/15 10:45 PM

I have a Mr Heater Buddy that I'll be using this winter. Hopefully it will keep me warm in the box stand.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/24/15 10:51 PM

The Little Buddy does fine in your 4x4 and 4x6 blinds, the Big Buddy heats our 16' trailer just fine.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/27/15 02:35 AM

Another vote for the Mr. Heater. I'm going to get another one for the new stand we're building.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/28/15 01:05 AM

I like that style
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/30/15 01:12 AM

Maybe my blind is just too well insulated. I have the Buddy heater and it will cook you out of my 6'x7' blind. I always have to open at least one window in order to regulate the heat from the heater.
I have a Big Buddy heater out in my 14'x24' shop,and it will heat the shop up to 80* in a couple hours when it's 20* outside. Both of these heaters use a lot of propane,you need to buy the hose with a regulator and hook it up to a bigger tank if you plan on keeping warm for more than 4 hours.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 08/30/15 01:12 PM

Big Buddy heater here....but our blind is a little bigger (8X12) and weather is much colder (sub zero).

Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/01/15 03:23 AM

Portable Buddy is more than sufficient for a 4'x6' blind.

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/02/15 02:18 AM

I bought the Mr Buddy Portable, decided bigger must be better! up If it keeps the Mrs. and kiddo warm it will all be good.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/02/15 10:25 AM

Be careful. About 20 years ago a friend of mine was elk hunting in, I believe, Montana. He was using a propane heater in a blind. When he didn't come in they went to the blind and found him dead of asphyxiation. Make sure it is well ventilated.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/02/15 03:57 PM

The Buddy series have oxygen depletion detection and will shut down if it sees a problem I believe.

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/03/15 04:27 AM

^^^^^^^^^Good to know^^^^^^^
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/03/15 10:28 AM

We use the Big Buddy in our 16' trailer. We always 2-3 windows especially the 2 above our beds and we ain't woke up dead yet.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/03/15 12:29 PM

After thinking about the CO risk, I'm going to install a CO alarm in our blinds. We have see through windows that will be shut but allow some air circulation.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/26/15 03:38 AM

Get the Mr. Heater. If it is real cold little buddy takes too long to heat up
Posted By: RovingTexan

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/28/15 10:35 PM

Do the deer smell the fumes and stay away?
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/29/15 03:14 PM

This is the Mr Heater I have. It heats up my 4x8x7' tall box blind with the windows open just fine. The wife will even hunt now on a cold sit. Deer have walked 10 yards infront of the stand while it was running and didn't seem to bother them at all.

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Which portable heater for a 4' x 6' blind - 09/29/15 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: RovingTexan
Do the deer smell the fumes and stay away?

No
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum