Texas Hunting Forum

Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it?

Posted By: jdk1985

Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/17/14 09:33 PM

I need some camp rain gear. I don't care if it is insulated or not insulated as long as it can layer. I don't mind layering, and something with less insulation could be more versatile of course.

All that to say, what recommendations do you have? Sitka is of course Sexy. I like their wading jacket and downpour jacket, etc. Is it worth the nearly $400 price tag? What else should I look at? How are the ungodly number of Cabelas products?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/17/14 09:38 PM

Wal-Mart has some camo rain gear... not fancy but its cheap
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/17/14 09:41 PM

Look at KUIU, if you want another high end option.

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/17/14 10:30 PM

Thanks, any others?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/17/14 11:34 PM

There's a lot of great companies out there that aren't hunting related. Bobo could tell you a lot more about them.
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/17/14 11:58 PM

Frog Togs
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/18/14 02:34 AM

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5294546/all/Silent_Rain_Gear???

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/18/14 10:13 AM

thanks don't know how I missed that
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/18/14 03:07 PM

Don't know what size you are but I have a set of Guide Series TecH2o rain gear I am willing to sell. Jacket is size Large and pants are Medium.

Jacket is in True Timber camo and pants are RealTree AP.

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/18/14 05:01 PM

The Pants would certainly be a no go - too tall and 34-36" waste.

I'll keep the jacket in mind, but I'm still looking. Large would work, depending on sleeve length. 'm leaning towards shelling out some cash for Stika (or equivalent) or just using what I already own.
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/19/14 02:09 PM

Cabelas MT050 is great rain gear.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/19/14 11:12 PM

I will second Cabelas MT050 gear. Very good and reasonably priced. I generally would not consider the extreme high end gear unless you use it a LOT. The value is simply not there.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/30/14 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
I need some camp rain gear. I don't care if it is insulated or not insulated as long as it can layer. I don't mind layering, and something with less insulation could be more versatile of course.

All that to say, what recommendations do you have? Sitka is of course Sexy. I like their wading jacket and downpour jacket, etc. Is it worth the nearly $400 price tag? What else should I look at? How are the ungodly number of Cabelas products?

Rain gear is complicated.

High end rain gear like Sitka, kuiu, first lite, etc are very expensive do to weight and breathability.
If you want high end those three are the pinnacle at this time. They are designed to be very pack able yet very breathable while wearing. They are made to be moved in. Meaning mountain hunting.

I personally think Sitka lost their mind on their pricing. Kuiu and firstlite are more what they should cost.

If you don't need high end then Cabelas, Columbia etc are hard to beat.

If you want to make an investment in high end then look at the kuiu Yukon it's more of a thicker soft shell.
Posted By: birdog903

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/30/14 02:43 AM

Bought a set of pants and jacket at Columbia outlet a couple years ago. Paid less than 100 dollars for the set and haven't had any problems so far. I've heard they have great customer service and replacement warranty if any product fails no matter how long it's been.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/30/14 03:11 AM

This is what's in my pack 90% of the time.

http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-hydrotech-packable-rain-jacket

Only thing I don't like is no pit zips, and no full length zips on the pants

Re: Need Camo Rain gear - Is Sitka worth it? - 09/30/14 09:41 AM

Thank you
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum