Texas Hunting Forum

Wireless trail cameras

Posted By: NewJeep

Wireless trail cameras - 08/19/14 07:51 PM

Who has one and what one do you think is best? With my lease being so far away I would like to invest in one but I want a good one. Give me your opinion.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 08/19/14 08:21 PM

How is the cell coverage at your place? Carriers available? How many are you planning to use? Ready to pay monthly for new phone accounts?
Posted By: NewJeep

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 08/19/14 10:00 PM

AT&T works great no issues paying for another line
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 08/19/14 10:29 PM

I made a post about my Bushnell, but it looks like some people really like the covert black ops. Only thing I see better with the Bushnell is the iphone app.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ula#Post5250997
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 08/19/14 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
How is the cell coverage at your place? Carriers available? How many are you planning to use? Ready to pay monthly for new phone accounts?

What he said... I have a nice new 3G Covert running as a standard camera as cell coverage isn't quite good enough at the lease.

Charlie
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 08/20/14 12:26 AM

I like Bushnell cameras as a whole better than my Covert, but the cell plan for me was better than the plan bushnell offers for their camera, so it was covert for me. I have a good 4G to LTE ATT signal at my lease so I wasn't worried about coverage, it was simply the plan details. I have unlimited texting with my family share plan thru ATT, so that beat paying 9.99/month for 1000 thumbnail pics per month witht he bushnell plan.

I do like the concept of the Bushnell camera, with the central server you can look at pics, this way my son could look at the pics anytime he wanted to as well, but I got the covert for the simplicity of cell text pics.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 09/16/14 02:20 AM

Not trying to high jack a post. Kinda goes along with what's being talked about. I am new to the wireless concept as well. And as high as gas is would be nice to save on some gas as well.

I have a company phone. And my wife's on Verizon, which will work at my lease. Are both the bushnell and covert available to use on Verizon or just ATT?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 09/16/14 02:41 AM

Covert is ATT or T-Mobile or any GSM carrier.

Charlie
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 09/16/14 06:37 PM

just make damned sure you have good signal where you want to put the camera..

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 09/16/14 06:38 PM

Bushnell is not any plan per se, you pay Bushnell for the service and they use ATT but you do not need to do anything other than set the camera up and run it, the camera already has the sim card and the data plan when you buy the camera, the service plans are run through Bushnell so you just pay the monthly fee to Bushnell. makes this mess of questions and issues obsolete.

Covert can use ATT or T-Mobile, or you can buy a pre-paid plan (I can not remember who this is with although the name may be in this thread or one of the recent threads about this stuff) but I don't think you can use Verizon as the sim card/plan provider for the camera but it can send to a Verizon phone. The covert webpage has some more details about that.
Posted By: Tazman70

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 09/16/14 08:03 PM

Spypoint Live 3G

Pros: Low cost data plan via Truphone, unlimited thumbnails for $50/yr, on-line camera management, T-Mobile or AT&T network.
Cons: Slow trigger time, battery hog in real-time mode, need at least 2 signal bars
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 09/16/14 08:30 PM

OK thanks for clearing that up. I like the concept of Bushnell's app function and would probably be easier dealing with bushnell than ATT on setup issues, etc. They are proud of that sucker though. Jeez.

Is it a pain to just pay for data plans on either device during certain months. Example: leave it out year round and check it when I fill feeders etc. And then in September I want to start getting pictures through January. That way i am not paying $10 a month for nothing.

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 09/17/14 06:11 PM

I believe that is one of Bushnell's selling points, is that you can turn on the service when you want to use it and turn it off when you don't want to use it, similar to a pay as you go kind of service. With the covert or other types, you have to at least pay to continue the line of service (thru ATT for me it is $10/mo for unlimited text & calls whether I use them or not), but $10/month isn't breaking my bank whether or not I want the camera sending me pics. Only time I would turn it off is if I am out of country and don't want international data services, but I can do that thru the camera itself (SMS command) and not have to make a special trip out, and then turn it on the same way once back in country.

On a side note, I have had my covert out for several weeks now with the solar panel attached and 4 rechargeable batteries in it (it can take up to 12 AA batteries), it started at 6/10 batt life and has stayed exactly there the whole time and has taken about 100 pics a day (day and night pics) thru that time. solar panel works well and very happy with that purchase.
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/01/14 12:23 PM

Took some work and a second visit to AT&T to get yhe Covert set up, but I'm happy with it now. Texts or emails pics with 2 bars signal strength at my place in Coleman. I'm predicting battery life at about 3 months. I can text it to change settings and take a pic on demand. Takes about 15 seconds to get the pic. Here's one from this morning.

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/01/14 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: wacorusty
Took some work and a second visit to AT&T to get yhe Covert set up, but I'm happy with it now. Texts or emails pics with 2 bars signal strength at my place in Coleman. I'm predicting battery life at about 3 months. I can text it to change settings and take a pic on demand. Takes about 15 seconds to get the pic. Here's one from this morning.

Get a solar panel from Covert, I have mine set up with the covert solar panel and 4 rechargeable batteries, and it has stayed right at 6 bar battery life since putting it out for over 2000-2500 pics, about one months time. Worth the investment of 50 bucks from covert!
Posted By: n-all

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/02/14 07:01 PM

Ordered a Covert 3G Black Ops yesterday from Amazon..
Posted By: dextergillespie

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/03/14 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: NewJeep
Who has one and what one do you think is best? With my lease being so far away I would like to invest in one but I want a good one. Give me your opinion.

I made my own cam system using a Foscam IP camera that is powered by a 12v to 120 volt inverter that is hooked up to a 105ah 12 volt battery that is charged with a big 45 watt solar panel. I use an AT&T prepaid hotspot for the internet connection. I have the camera set to FTP(upload) a HD image to me on a website every 10 minutes and also when it see motion., so i get about 150 pics or so a day. You don't miss anything. I can look at the pics on my phone or computer by going to the FTP website. I added another smaller battery and solar panel for an extra infrared illuminator to increase the night vision. All the equip easily fits in a plastic ammo box and the batteries are in marine battery boxes sitting on the ground. The camera and solar panels are screwed to a cedar tree. Hi -Tech redneck set up but it works for this fellah.... [img]https://solarcam.shutterfly.com/pictures/11[/img]
Posted By: billybob

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/03/14 03:55 PM

Definitely go with the Covert Black ops 3G. I've now got 4 of them.
* Lower intial cost than most...lowest of all monthly charge (Amazon has them for $312)
* Can add solar charger and battery for maintenance free service ($50)
* Can add extended antenna although you must have at least 2 bars without it. ($50)
* Great customer service
* You can communicate with the camera such as add reciepients, take pics, request lat long coordinates
Posted By: dextergillespie

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/03/14 05:58 PM

thats good, my system did not cost much to build., the black ops is good for a out of the box solution. as long as they do the job at hand is what counts.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/08/14 09:13 PM

I've been looking at wireless cameras too. I have Verizon and iPhone so was thinking the Bushnell would be best. Driving 220 miles one way to check cameras is getting into the fuel pocket book. Want to have 3 working by next year
Posted By: clay breaker

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/09/14 06:56 PM

I'm in the same boat as you Revo. Verizon/Iphone, and I have 5 phones on my plan so I dont see me getting off of Verizo. Im looking for the best way using VZ.

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/10/14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: clay breaker
I'm in the same boat as you Revo. Verizon/Iphone, and I have 5 phones on my plan so I dont see me getting off of Verizo. Im looking for the best way using VZ.

You can keep verizon....just get a $10 ATT go phone for the covert. They give you a SIM card and 1000 messages a month
Posted By: HuntSync

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/10/14 05:57 PM

Wireless cams are great - we rely on them to track our big boys. It's hard to remember what we did before them. My go to is Cuddeback for my trail cams. You might also consider programs like the one I helped develop (HuntSync) that lets you see your pics and share them with any of your buddies that you hunt with or share land with. There are a ton of programs out there and different things that technology can do if you don't live right near your land.
Posted By: dr_pepp

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/12/14 10:53 PM

I've got two Cover Black Ops. I also had some set up problems with AT&T. Actually the second one was more trouble than the first one. The folks at the AT&T store just don't see many of them and kept trying to set it up wrong.

Cell service is spotty at one of my feeders. I got the antenna booster but it is marginal. I'll get photos for a few days and then none for a few days. I've got a solar panel on them, but once the batteries get low in the camera they stop sending pictures. Still on the card, but not emailed/texed. Not perfect, but I'm pleased with how they have worked out and I'd recommend the Covert Black ops.
Posted By: TGT

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/14/14 02:15 AM

I am currently running a covert black ops 3g and have good cell coverage at my lease but having MANY problems with the cam. I have sent it in and they replaced it but it does not seem to keep up with other non sim cameras. I have put a Covert next to another camera the did not have the capability of sending pictures and and I am getting many more pictures of animals from that camera and MUCH less false triggers. The covert will take pictures at night at times but will just send pics all day of nothing during the day. The non sim cam mounted right next to it does not take the same pics. I have contacted customer service several times and tried to see if I was doing something wrong and I have made several trip to the lease to remedy with no luck. I have moved both Cams to new locations and having the same problems. I have now moved the Covert father away from the feeder and I am now getting no pics. I sent it a command to take a picture and 3-4 deer are under the feeder but it does not see them??? Also I was told by the covert customer service to just set the camera to not take pics during the day and I quote " nothing is moving during the day so no need to see it" ??? I can tell you that I am not very impressed with my camera and will probably just go back to non sim cams until a better cam in this price range is available. I guess to sum it up I like the fact that it can send me pics but I do not think the covert has the motion part working as good as other cameras. Just my 2cents on my experience.

TGT

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/14/14 12:47 PM

Sorry your having problems with the Covert. The trigger mechanism of the Covert is both motion and heat sensitive. You can adjust the sensitivity to get rid of a lot of heat related triggers (not all) but if they are caused by wind movement of objects you will need to move it or cut them down. The camera is capable of taking motion triggered pics up to 50 yrds but works much better if placed 20 to 30 feet away from the feeder. Infared or heat triggers at night are best at that range also. You can adjust the invisible flash from 20' to 40'. I keep mine on 40'.
Feel free to PM me if you need any more help.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/14/14 01:23 PM

So who is using the Bushnell, any issues?
Posted By: Grendel 6.5

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/14/14 07:31 PM

How do these setups differ from the wireless cards that are compatible with the Moultrie 880i, 990i, and 1100i cameras?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/14/14 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TGT
I am currently running a covert black ops 3g and have good cell coverage at my lease but having MANY problems with the cam. I have sent it in and they replaced it but it does not seem to keep up with other non sim cameras. I have put a Covert next to another camera the did not have the capability of sending pictures and and I am getting many more pictures of animals from that camera and MUCH less false triggers. The covert will take pictures at night at times but will just send pics all day of nothing during the day. The non sim cam mounted right next to it does not take the same pics. I have contacted customer service several times and tried to see if I was doing something wrong and I have made several trip to the lease to remedy with no luck. I have moved both Cams to new locations and having the same problems. I have now moved the Covert father away from the feeder and I am now getting no pics. I sent it a command to take a picture and 3-4 deer are under the feeder but it does not see them??? Also I was told by the covert customer service to just set the camera to not take pics during the day and I quote " nothing is moving during the day so no need to see it" ??? I can tell you that I am not very impressed with my camera and will probably just go back to non sim cams until a better cam in this price range is available. I guess to sum it up I like the fact that it can send me pics but I do not think the covert has the motion part working as good as other cameras. Just my 2cents on my experience.

TGT

Mine did the same thing, so in V2.0, I reduced the sensitivity of the camera and set it to take one pic every two minutes. I still get daytime wind pics, but not near as many. Another thing I like is my addition of a Hog Kill Light. It magnets to the bottom of my Monarch timer box and works from dusk to dawn only, and only after it senses motion. It them comes on slowly as to not spook the game. I have many pics of deer and hogs grazing peacefully in full illumination. Here piggy piggy...
Posted By: TGT

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/15/14 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: billybob
Sorry your having problems with the Covert. The trigger mechanism of the Covert is both motion and heat sensitive. You can adjust the sensitivity to get rid of a lot of heat related triggers (not all) but if they are caused by wind movement of objects you will need to move it or cut them down. The camera is capable of taking motion triggered pics up to 50 yrds but works much better if placed 20 to 30 feet away from the feeder. Infared or heat triggers at night are best at that range also. You can adjust the invisible flash from 20' to 40'. I keep mine on 40'.

Thanks for chiming in and I might just have to PM you!!

I have worked on the sensitivity adjustment and currently running in normal mode. I had it on high as they told me that high was for higher temps. I have tried to cut everything down that I could and I have also tried to keep it about 20 feet from the feeder but now I have it about 50 feet away and I have the flash set on high.

Thanks
TGT

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/15/14 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Grendel 6.5
How do these setups differ from the wireless cards that are compatible with the Moultrie 880i, 990i, and 1100i cameras?

Biggest difference is that the Covert sends pictures to you. The Moultries require you to buy a game spy connect ($149) and it only works on certain cameras. That allows to pay $40 to view your 400 pics on their website.

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/15/14 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: TGT
Originally Posted By: billybob

Thanks for chiming in and I might just have to PM you!!

I have worked on the sensitivity adjustment and currently running in normal mode. I had it on high as they told me that high was for higher temps. I have tried to cut everything down that I could and I have also tried to keep it about 20 feet from the feeder but now I have it about 50 feet away and I have the flash set on high.

Thanks
TGT

Bring your camera back in to 20-30 ft. That's probably why you missed the 2 deer...you're too far away. Adjust your sensitivity to low and your trigger activity to 3-4 minutes. If an animal isn't around for that length of time he's just blowing thru. Adjusting your sensitivity merely lowers or raises the contrast of the camera IR and the animals heat signature.
Posted By: reelredfishj

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/15/14 05:20 PM

I to have the covert and have had zero issues with it. My first wireless camera was the UWAY 500 which I still have. It takes great day pics and send them to my phone just as the covert does. However the night pics are worthless I can not make anything out they are so dark.

Have to say the covert really works well in my opinion mine has ben out there almost a year now. May replace my UWAY with another one.
Posted By: Reata

Re: Wireless trail cameras - 10/21/14 10:26 PM

I have had the Bushnell out for a few weeks now and am happy with it.

I generally get good reception on the place but of course the one area I wanted to put it I only get one, sometimes two bars. Still uploads thumbnails just fine though.

Wish it would upload thumbnails for the Field Scan mode and would be nice to able to trigger it to take and upload a thumbnail on demand but other than that glad I bought it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum