Texas Hunting Forum

Leupold vs. Leupold (another question)*

Posted By: hunter_sawyer

Leupold vs. Leupold (another question)* - 02/03/11 04:36 PM

What is the difference between a Leupold Vari X III and a VX-III? Are the VX's that much better?

I have an opportunity to purchase a Vari X III 4.5-14x50, 30mm tube w/ the Boone and Crocket reticle for $500...... is this a good buy?

Posted By: exoticbob

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/03/11 05:27 PM

yes - big improvement. the vx3 is what leupold should have had years ago for the price they ask. they had to revamp to try and keep up.

Posted By: kman

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/03/11 06:27 PM

The Leupold Vari X III is an older model, which was replaced by the VX-III, which was then later replaced by the VX3. The VX3 came out a couple of years ago. The VX3's are supposed to have better glass and adjustments.

Posted By: gogburn

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/03/11 09:02 PM

I got this information off the Leupold website FAQ'S a while back...

Quote:
VX-III

* The VX-III line was new for 2004, and uses ¼-MOA, low-profile, finger-adjustable adjustments and a fast-focus eyepiece. VX-III’s are fully multicoated and Index Matched to ensure that each lens has the best possible coating, producing total light transmission values higher than ever seen before.

Vari-X III

* The Vari-X III line (discontinued for 2004 with introduction of VX-III) has seen little change and is still optically the same as those produced in the 90s. Vari-X III’s utilize ¼-MOA click adjustments and are fully multicoated with Multicoat 4.

VX-II

* The VX-II line (2003 and older) uses a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II (discontinued) technology. VX-II’s also utilize ¼-MOA click adjustments, but the lens coatings are unique. The external lenses are coated with Multicoat 4 and the internal lenses are coated with magnesium fluoride.

* Beginning in 2004, the VX-II line is fully multicoated and will perform comparably to the discontinued Vari-X III line.

Hope that helps.

edit: It's still there... http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources/faqs/#questionFive

Posted By: yukons95

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/07/11 03:25 AM

Honestly i have several old and newer models and you cannot really tell the difference. i personally like my vari-x III's better

Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/07/11 03:33 AM

I didn't think the B&C reticle was around when they built the Vari X III??? You sure that is what it is?

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/07/11 03:35 AM

Does it have an AO?

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/07/11 05:27 AM

IMO the older models dont compare to the newer models in low light

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/07/11 05:27 AM

Newer models being better

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/07/11 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
I didn't think the B&C reticle was around when they built the Vari X III??? You sure that is what it is?

That is what the guy told me. I will know for sure when I go look at it tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
Does it have an AO?
It has the side focus knob

Does $500 sound like a good deal for this type of scope?

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/07/11 06:59 PM

I bet he is getting it confused with a VXIII. Alot of people still say Vari-X. Not sure on the price, but it is a good scope. If you like that cluttered reticle.

Posted By: gogburn

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/07/11 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: hunter_sawyer

That is what the guy told me. I will know for sure when I go look at it tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
Does it have an AO?
It has the side focus knob

Does $500 sound like a good deal for this type of scope?

It is a good deal if it is a VX-III or VX-3, not so much if it is a Vari X-III which is equivalent to today's VX-II.

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/08/11 08:00 PM

You were right, it is the VX-III I am going to get it.

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/08/11 09:49 PM

Nice!

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Leupold vs. Leupold - 02/09/11 01:35 PM

Thats a good price.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum