Texas Hunting Forum

May be crazy but....?

Posted By: RLoving1

May be crazy but....? - 09/29/22 09:12 PM

Ammo for 43 Spanish? Not mine but co worker has one he would like to have some ammo and shoot it couple times.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: May be crazy but....? - 09/29/22 09:51 PM

Wow, I think you would be crazy to fire something that old!! You'd have to find some brass to load in, like Bertram, Jamison or RCC. Then finding the right bullet or making a lead cast in the proper diameter would be next. And figuring out a load that would work? I don't even know if smokeless powder would work in it.

I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hfvaCEhaaw
Posted By: 65x55

Re: May be crazy but....? - 09/29/22 11:04 PM

I see interesting yet affordable old rifles in .43 Spanish and also wish ammo were more readily available, same with .577/450. The only thing I've seen is at https://www.buffaloarms.com, pretty steep but could be worth it. Looks like out of stock at the moment regardless.
Posted By: diablodog

Re: May be crazy but....? - 09/29/22 11:56 PM

I load for and fire guns that old and older all the time with no problems . Smokeless is fine if you use the right powders and keep the pressures low enough , though there is nothing wrong with using black powder . There are people that load and sell ammo for rifles like that , just search the net .
Posted By: maximum

Re: May be crazy but....? - 09/30/22 12:23 AM

Either Dixie Gun Works, or Track of the Wolf one of the
two ( or maybe it was both) had some specialty 43
span components and molds and such.
I don't have a current catalog for either place, but
it'd be worth a phone call to both places
Posted By: wp75169

Re: May be crazy but....? - 09/30/22 01:00 AM

I know an old guy who loves the 43 Spanish. He cast loads and shoots them. I haven’t talked to him in a couple of years since before Covid. He retired 10 plus years ago from the mill. I’ll see if I can track him down.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: May be crazy but....? - 10/05/22 11:48 AM

Got to love the joys of old cartridges! Makes the search for 223 or modern rounds simple. He found a decent model Winchester 97 in Lubbock last week and stroked about that!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum