Texas Hunting Forum

Ballistic X

Posted By: bholt

Ballistic X - 05/16/22 12:50 PM

This may be the wrong area but oh well.

So my question for the day/week is as follows.... What do you think of the apps for shooting? I am considering getting the ballistic X app. am I wasting my money? What little I know looks like it is only $8.00.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Ballistic X - 05/16/22 01:00 PM

If it picks up local weather data, and auto populates temperature and Density Altitude, if it does not limit you on how many rifles and loads you can plug in, then go for it.

I have used "Shooter" ballistics for many years and have been more than pleased with it.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Ballistic X - 05/16/22 01:02 PM

never had one, I assume your shooter does all thatjust trying to gather info.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Ballistic X - 05/16/22 01:29 PM

Applied Ballistics is good and what I gravitate to. I have Shooter as well but it seemed it wasn’t keeping up with all the newest bullets but maybe that’s changed recently?
Lots of folks like Hornady’s and it’s free I think.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Ballistic X - 05/16/22 01:33 PM

Another top app is GeoBallistics. I know several of the shooters who helped develop that app.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Ballistic X - 05/16/22 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by DStroud
Applied Ballistics is good and what I gravitate to. I have Shooter as well but it seemed it wasn’t keeping up with all the newest bullets but maybe that’s changed recently?

Hornady has a free app? Or are you just talking about their online calculator?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Ballistic X - 05/16/22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

Just put the Hornady app on my phone, free but they want you to signup for an account

[Linked Image]

Re: Ballistic X - 05/16/22 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by kmon11
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Just put the Hornady app on my phone, free but they want you to signup for an account

[Linked Image]

I think their stuff is wrong. 1st, their come up on a known round is way off. 2nd, if you add wind, it changes the come up by about 1 MOA at 500 yards. Since when does wind change come up?

Edit: Under round profile, I had COAL blank. When I filled that in, it brought the calculations to within .3 MOA at 500 yards from known dope. What COAL has to do with it, I don't know.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Ballistic X - 05/16/22 06:02 PM

Left low, right high.

Left to right wind can push a right hand twisted barrel/bullet down.

Right to Left wind can push a right hand twisted barrel/bullet up.

But a full MOA at 500 yards? Not so.

Re: Ballistic X - 05/16/22 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Left low, right high.

Left to right wind can push a right hand twisted barrel/bullet down.

Right to Left wind can push a right hand twisted barrel/bullet up.

But a full MOA at 500 yards? Not so.

Once I filled in the COAL field, it gave me these numbers: 0 wind at 500 yards=9.46 moa, R-L 10 mph wind=8.71 moa, L-r 10 mph wind=10.21 moa. My known Dope is 9.1 MOA
I don't know what COAL has to do with Hornady's calculations, but evidently it does something. Before that was filled in, it was showing 14 moa for 500 yards.
Posted By: TAB

Re: Ballistic X - 05/17/22 08:08 PM

I have ballistic ae, and the StrelokPro, the strelok is probably slightly easier to use than the other but the other takes more inputs. You can also Bluetooth with a kestrel as long as you have a good velocity youll be spot on.

I’m gonna buy a kestrel one day, but just haven’t had a chance yet.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Ballistic X - 05/18/22 09:51 AM

I use shooter.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum