Texas Hunting Forum

Affordable Progressive Press

Posted By: patriot07

Affordable Progressive Press - 05/12/22 02:43 AM

Looking for a press for 223 and 45 ACP. Want to make moderate quality ammo fast on an affordable press...what is my best option?

Doesn't have to be the "fastest" press, but needs to be a lot faster than my rock chucker.
Posted By: Saddle Tramp

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/12/22 09:21 AM

Depends on what is affordable to you. The Dillon 550B is a great progressive press and could be had for around $500 used before this latest craziness. Still a bargain here or there if you look hard enough.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/12/22 09:34 AM

Add a lot more than $500 for caliber conversions and other non-standard items to make it work like it should.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/12/22 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp
Depends on what is affordable to you. The Dillon 550B is a great progressive press and could be had for around $500 used before this latest craziness. Still a bargain here or there if you look hard enough.

$500 plus dies is getting up there. Definitely willing to buy used, but budget isn't that high
Posted By: HenryL

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/12/22 04:45 PM

I've never used any of the low cost progressive Lee presses, so I can't comment on their quality (but they seem to get mostly good reviews)... I think those are about as cheap as you are going to get for a progressive press. And you can get one already setup for 45ACP and one setup for 223... both for under $500 (running on sale right for about $234 each).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022386158?pid=772721

Personally, I'm a fan of my Hornady AP Press, but those are running almost $600 these days... few years ago you could pick one up for almost half that cost.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/12/22 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by HenryL
I've never used any of the low cost progressive Lee presses, so I can't comment on their quality (but they seem to get mostly good reviews)... I think those are about as cheap as you are going to get for a progressive press. And you can get one already setup for 45ACP and one setup for 223... both for under $500 (running on sale right for about $234 each).

Personally, I'm a fan of my Hornady AP Press, but those are running almost $600 these days... few years ago you could pick one up for almost half that cost.

I was going to ask about Hornady. I use nearly everything else Hornady except my chargemaster lite and rock chucker. Dies & tools are all hornady.

I'll check out the Lee. Never used anything Lee but I'm aware it's less expensive than most. I might just hold off on buying something to see if prices on the Hornady or Dillon come back down, but thanks for sending options on the Lee. Didn't know what they had.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/13/22 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by HenryL

If you buy Lee, I suggest buying from Titan Reloading Products. There is a forum dedicated to Lee machines owned by a member here at THF. PM for details. My presses are all Lee but I do not have a progressive...I have an O-frame, a four-hole turret, and the APP processing unit.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/13/22 03:55 PM

I'd go with the Hornady over a Dillon if cost is a concern.

Hornady presses are excellent for cost savings since you don't have to worry about toolheads, can easily swap powder throws from pistol to rifle loads, and the shellplates are affordable. I reloaded more than 30k rounds on my LnL AP before I finally upgraded to an XL750 this year. The Dillon is a better machine, make no mistake, but everything about it is more expensive.
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/13/22 07:14 PM

I have a bunch of presses from a varied lot of manufacturers, from Progressives to singles. My most versatile press I own to date is a Lee classic cast turret press.
It has a total of 4 stations for dies and it can be used like a progressive or advanced manually. I use a bench prime but a priming attachment is available.
I still use it for the majority of my loading and I regularly make rifle ammo on it shat shoots sub MOA to 500 yds (farthest I can shoot right now).
the turrets are easily removable and you can change calibers in about 20 seconds if you get a separate turret for each caliber.
It is not as fast as a full on progressive, it is a single stage ram with a turret (if that makes sense).
I load for about 30 calibers and almost all are on pre set turrets that are ready to go.
It is very versatile and priced very affordable. Lee's equipment may not be the best, but it works.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/13/22 07:14 PM

Hornady makes a good one, and is the only progressive press I have reloaded on. So limited experience

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/14/22 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Blanco
the turrets are easily removable and you can change calibers in about 20 seconds if you get a separate turret for each caliber.

Ditto

[Linked Image]

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/18/22 11:07 AM

Pro6000 Coming Soon
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/18/22 04:00 PM

Dillon.
Posted By: M1John

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/18/22 05:55 PM

Dillon
Posted By: Wildcat1

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/18/22 10:01 PM

550 Dillion with 2 heads have a Dillion person set them both up and you are off and running. Ron
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/18/22 10:39 PM

I use a Lock n Load AP for rifle and handgun calibers. Works great for me. Bought used a number of years ago.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/18/22 10:58 PM

From what I have read, if you do not buy a Dillon, you will be fighting other brands occasionally. Or they will completely break down, and you're sourcing parts.

"Affordable" and Progressive Press, don't really go into the same sentence. About like affordable race car. They just aren't. Not the ones that work anyway.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/19/22 12:46 AM

I have a Dillon RL550 that I bought new in 1994 and it has been worn out twice, factory rebuilt twice, and the only thing it cost me was shipping to Scottsdale twice.

Get the Dillon.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/19/22 12:52 PM

Well if the hornady is $500 anyway, I might as well get the dillon I think.

We had a gun club at work for a long time that would loan out equipment including a dillon 550, so I have some experience with it and the experience was good. That thing could load good quality ammo fast. So perhaps I'll just be patient and hope to find a deal on one at some point.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/19/22 02:58 PM

Good stuff ain't cheap and cheap stuff ain't good.

Fast, cheap, quality, you can only have 2, you pick.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/19/22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Good stuff ain't cheap and cheap stuff ain't good.

Fast, cheap, quality, you can only have 2, you pick.

I'd be ok with it not being as fast as a Dillon or if the ammo was a bit lower quality than a dillon that would be ok too. But I want the press to be reliable and meaningfully faster than my rock chucker.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/19/22 06:05 PM

I understand. I went the super cheap route for pistol. I got the Lee classic turret. It automatically rotates the turret to the next station on the down-stroke. Empty case goes in, size/decap, re-prime on the down stroke (requires safety prime). Flare and charge (requires auto-drum). Seat. Crimp, repeat. Way faster than my rock chucker, way slower than a true progressive. I have $300 in the set up, maybe a little less. I loaded about 300 rounds yesterday for the first time. I got what I paid for and as much pistol as I shoot, it'll be fine. I would load bulk 223 on it but all my other rifle stuff will remain one at a time on the single stage.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/19/22 06:12 PM

I understand. I went the super cheap route for pistol. I got the Lee classic turret. It automatically rotates the turret to the next station on the down-stroke. Empty case goes in, size/decap, re-prime on the down stroke (requires safety prime). Flare and charge (requires auto-drum). Seat. Crimp, repeat. Way faster than my rock chucker, way slower than a true progressive. I have $300 in the set up, maybe a little less. I loaded about 300 rounds yesterday for the first time. I got what I paid for and as much pistol as I shoot, it'll be fine. I would load bulk 223 on it but all my other rifle stuff will remain one at a time on the single stage.

Those are good options as well for a lot less money than a progressive.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/20/22 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

And already mentioned.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/20/22 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

And already mentioned.

I looked at it. 3.8 stars on midwayusa and about half the price of a used Dillon. Just doesn't make much sense to me at that point.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/20/22 04:21 AM

What would I have to add to this to load 45 acp?

ebay dillon 550

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/20/22 12:06 PM

Sent you a PM
Posted By: jsteve

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/21/22 12:50 PM

I bought a Lee Breach Lock Pro 4000(from Midway because it was on sale and much cheaper than Titan). Check both Midway and Titan for prices on parts and accessories. I buy from both. I have NEVER liked priming on a progressive, I just don't trust them. With that said, I have added a KMS Squared UFO light kit to my press and it is still too hard to see powder levels in a 38 special case and I HAVE to know. What I do is deprime, resize and flare the mouth first, take them in the house and hand prime using my old RCBS hand prime, then load them back into the case feed, take out my derime/resize die, run it into the powder feed, then next station is a powder cop die, then my seat and crimp die. Been using a seat/crimp die for 35+ years on 44, 38, 9mm and 45 and never had a problem(roll crimp on revolver calibers and taper crimp on autos). That's just the way I do it and everyone has personal preferences.
As far as the press is concerned, this press MUST be aligned dang near perfect and you MUST pay attention to the case feed closely. What the cases slide on is plastic and if you jam a case on it, it will ruin it. Replacing it is no problem once I found a site that shows the easiest way, very simple and neither Titan or Lee shows it, they show a different way that will make you pull your hair out if you have fat fingers and mine aint even fat and I caint afford to lose any more hair! Those bases and all the other parts are cheap and best bought from Titan, Lee if Titan is out of them. Bought from both and both were very fast shipping times(less than 3 days). I bought plenty extras too. One thing on the case feed that no one talks about, if you will twist that return spring one revolution, (caint remember whether CW or CCW(easy to figure out. one way will work, the other way will come off immediately), you will not have a problem with spring becoming disconnected. As far as the Safe Prime, alot of people absolutely hate it, spilled primers and such, IMO they did not align it good enough. I see where a smidge here or there will make someone hate it. I had no problem with it, never missed a primer nor did it spill primers. I loaded over 1000 rounds using it and giving the full auto loading a shot. I just DO NOT like the feel of primer seating on a press(didn't like priming on the Rock Chucker either). This press works for me and the way I reload. It was on sale bigtime and I think Midway actually put the wrong price on it but the honored it. I was looking to load 38 and 9mm with it exclusively and noticed the kit bought as a 38 was $85 cheaper than the sale price of any of the other calibers offered. I double and triple checked. I bought it as a 38 kit and then bought the plate and dies for 9mm. After I ordered and it was confirmed, I went back to the site about 2 hours later and checked, the price was changed to what all the other calibers were that were also on sale(which was $50 off). That is why I have this press.
Now, if I did it all over again, Hornady AP would be my choice over Dillon, (I have my reasons), for a full auto press. But being as I don't like priming on a press, I would go with the Lee Classic Turret and have extra turrets set up and ready to go just like the other guys here have. I will probably do that too but keep what I have to quickly get to the priming stage only.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/22/22 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jsteve
Those bases and all the other parts are cheap and best bought from Titan, Lee if Titan is out of them. Bought from both and both were very fast shipping times(less than 3 days). I bought plenty extras too.
Lee will send you one of nearly any replacement part for free if you pay shipping. Sometimes their shipping is excessive. Titan is across the street from Lee so sometimes it's better to backorder something from Titan. I think they just go across the street once a day to fulfill backorders.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/23/22 09:24 PM

And already mentioned.

Does somebody need a hug?

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/24/22 02:40 AM

And already mentioned.

Does somebody need a hug?

I do
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/25/22 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
From what I have read, if you do not buy a Dillon, you will be fighting other brands occasionally. Or they will completely break down, and you're sourcing parts.

"Affordable" and Progressive Press, don't really go into the same sentence. About like affordable race car. They just aren't. Not the ones that work anyway.

Race car is pick two... Fast, reliable and cheap. I think the theory works here as well.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/25/22 11:40 AM

Vintage BMX is strong, light, cheap. Pick two. Same concept.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/28/22 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez

Race car is pick two... Fast, reliable and cheap. I think the theory works here as well.

That stinks

Looks like saddle-tramp has got me a Dillon that will work well for my purposes but shipping is expensive and annoying. If anyone is going from anywhere near Dripping Springs (Austin) to anywhere near eastern Dallas anytime soon, then give me a holler and I'd buy you a 12-pack for dragging a press along with you.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/28/22 03:16 AM

I can probably make that work. I will be in Austin next Tuesday and would be happy to grab it for you but not sure if I can get to DFW area until Friday the 10th

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/28/22 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by DStroud
I can probably make that work. I will be in Austin next Tuesday and would be happy to grab it for you but not sure if I can get to DFW area until Friday the 10th

I'm in no rush. 12 pack offer is on the table - message me your drink of choice.
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 05/30/22 10:03 PM

Interesting ...had not seen that until I followed the link
Looks like a classic cast press with 6 stations.
Neat idea expands what you can do with the classic with some nice upgrades.
One more to add to my stable.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 06/01/22 02:13 AM

patriot07,
DStroud has the press and is headed north.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 06/01/22 02:25 AM

patriot07,

Mostly great people on this forum!

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 06/01/22 12:15 PM

patriot07,

Mostly great people on this forum!

Yeah this one worked out well. I trust a THFer way more than UPS or Fedex

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 06/04/22 01:13 PM

My 550 in her new home

[Linked Image]

Re: Affordable Progressive Press - 06/15/22 12:22 AM

Looks great!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum