Texas Hunting Forum

CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO

Posted By: DLALLDER

CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/26/22 05:39 PM

I have never crimped any rifle loads so I am a dummy about the process. I have a 2 die set for the cartridge that I want to reload but the main question is " can I put a slight crimp on the rifle cartridge with the seating die that is standard in a 2 die set?" If NO does that mean I have to order an additional die and what do I ask for? Thanks Daniel
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/26/22 05:48 PM

What are you trying to crimp? The only rifle ammo I crimp is 300 BLK and 45-70...And I'm not even sure that I have to crimp the 300 BLK. I do it because it is fired from a semi auto. I use a lee factory crimp die on the 300 and the roll crimp on the 45-70.

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/26/22 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
What are you trying to crimp? The only rifle ammo I crimp is 300 BLK and 45-70...And I'm not even sure that I have to crimp the 300 BLK. I do it because it is fired from a semi auto. I use a lee factory crimp die on the 300 and the roll crimp on the 45-70.

BUBBA, the 300 Ham'r is what i am goint to crimp. The ammo will be shot in a bolt gun and a semi auto. Thanks Daniel
Posted By: papa45

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/26/22 06:59 PM

The simple answer is yes. I do it for my .30-30. It's a matter of lowering your seating die to allow the mouth of the cartridge to meet the crimp ring in the die at the end of the stroke, and, adjusting the bullet seating stem to make the cannelure meet the cartridge mouth at the same time. Brass must all be trimmed to the same length or crimps will not be consistent. Too much crimp will cause a slight bulge that will prevent chambering,
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/26/22 09:55 PM

What papa45 said. Trim all your brass to the same length. Back the seating stem off. Put a piece of brass in the shell holder and with the ram to the top. Screw the seating die in till you feel it touch the brass. Back it off a couple turns. Now screw in the seating stem till you seat a bullet to your desired COAL. Now back the seating stem off enough to tighten the die back down till it touches the brass with the ram at its highest point. Lower the ram and give the die another 1/4 turn. Run the cartridge into the die and look at the crimp you get. Incrementally screw in the die till you have the desired crimp. Tighten the lock ring. Now with the ram fully raised, tighten the seater stem till it touches the bullet. You may have to tweak the seater a 1/4 turn or so tighter to find tune COAL. That is all there is to it.
Posted By: Saddle Tramp

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/26/22 11:22 PM

Message sent

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/26/22 11:33 PM

Saddle Tramp, Pm answered. Thanks Daniel
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/27/22 05:24 AM

I only crimp using Lee FCD

Never with the seating die itself
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/27/22 12:03 PM

A rifle seating die should not "crimp" a case. Use a Lee FCD for that job. I have one for 5.56X45, .30-30 WIN, 7.62X39 ... and I have them for pistols too BUT the FCD is not the same for pistol cartridges as the rifle FCD.

The rifle version just squeezes the case mouth from all sides simultaneously and does not "crimp in" the case mouth to "bite the bullet" like a roll or taper crimp does. The FCD does not require all brass be exactly the same like other methods.

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/27/22 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by unclebubba

BUBBA, the 300 Ham'r is what i am goint to crimp. The ammo will be shot in a bolt gun and a semi auto. Thanks Daniel

I'd go with a lee factory crimp die if it were me.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/27/22 03:07 PM

Lee FCD for me. Seeing the explanation of how to set it up with seating die reminds me of my good decision.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/27/22 08:02 PM

Crimping with the seating did is just like a roll crimp on a pistol case no? I’ve never crimped rifle ammo.
Posted By: kry226

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/27/22 10:19 PM

Another for Lee FCD.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/28/22 12:58 AM

Lee for me!!

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/28/22 01:18 AM

I think this is the only situation where I see Lee dies recommend unanimously!
Posted By: TAB

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/28/22 01:48 AM

Not really sure what crimping a rifle round gets you. .002-.003” neck tension is perfect and will feed from magazines reliably and will produce the most consistency.

I suppose if your using a Dillon or something progressive and making some plinking ammo I guess.. I wouldn’t waste the effort energy or time, set up the die and roll on.

I’m assuming we are talking about bottle necked modern rifle rounds not a cowboy action straight wall which in that case will benefit from a crimp especially a 44 mag using H110 .

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/28/22 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by TAB
Not really sure what crimping a rifle round gets you. .002-.003” neck tension is perfect and will feed from magazines reliably and will produce the most consistency.

I suppose if your using a Dillon or something progressive and making some plinking ammo I guess.. I wouldn’t waste the effort energy or time, set up the die and roll on.

I’m assuming we are talking about bottle necked modern rifle rounds not a cowboy action straight wall which in that case will benefit from a crimp especially a 44 mag using H110 .

It is a 300 Ham'r cartridge.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/28/22 12:57 PM

I used to crimp my 6.8 stuff with the seater, but if the case lengths are different, the crimp was different. I quit crimping and have suffered no ill effects.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/28/22 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
I only crimp using Lee FCD

Never with the seating die itself

this for every semi rifle.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/28/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by TAB

It's not for tension it's for uniformity for me.

And as stated, the post seat crimp die from Lee is a completely different animal with a different purpose for straight wall pistol rounds.
Posted By: Judd

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 02/28/22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by TAB

It is a 300 Ham'r cartridge.

I have a Hamr....never have I ever purposely crimped. I did crimp a few cases very early in my reloading just because I was ignorant and didn't realize I had the die set to low (longer back that I care to admit lol).

Nothing wrong with crimping, I just don't see it as necessary...even on an AR or Hamr.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 03/01/22 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by TAB

Do Dillon’s not make good ammo?
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 03/01/22 01:17 PM

Loading Maximum 556 loads can end up with a few blown primers if you get bullet set back in an auto loader. That is first hand. Crimping put a stop to it. Again first hand. That is why crimping is recommended in an auto loader. It is one of those things that is never a problem, until it is…
Posted By: ASIC777

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 03/01/22 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Loading Maximum 556 loads can end up with a few blown primers if you get bullet set back in an auto loader. That is first hand. Crimping put a stop to it. Again first hand. That is why crimping is recommended in an auto loader. It is one of those things that is never a problem, until it is…

+2

First hand, you don't even have to be loading near max. Older non-M4 feed ramps are hell on soft point bullets. Push one far enough back into the case and it yaws causing a blockage as it tries to leave the cartridge leading to excessive pressure. I use the Lee FCD on .223, .308, and 30-30 due to being tube fed.

Re: CRIMPING RIFLE AMMO - 03/04/22 03:08 PM

I am going to give an example of the type of guys that are here on the THF. After posting the crimping question, one of the members sent me a PM saying he would sent me a Lee FCD FREE!!!! I got it in the mail yesterday. SADDLE TRAMP , You are a GREAT guy. Thanks Daniel
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum