Texas Hunting Forum

Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today

Posted By: tenyearsgone

Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/06/21 12:53 AM

Had a chance to test some 69 SMK's in my AR-15 today. It was cool to get not one, but two .1 moa groups today with N140. I'm not sure I'd ever want a .223 bolt gun. I think this is my new favorite bullet. 5 different powders all produced group .3 or less.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/06/21 12:56 AM

Here's the other .1 group. Also with N140 powder.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/06/21 01:31 AM

cheers
Posted By: mikei

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/06/21 01:34 AM

Lookin' mighty good!!

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/06/21 03:04 AM

I appreciate it guys. I even found 20 pieces of practically brand new 6.5 C which the day even better.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/06/21 09:32 PM

5 shot groups?

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/07/21 02:10 PM

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/07/21 08:48 PM

tell us a bit about the rifle.

Nice groups, for dang sure!
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/07/21 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by tenyearsgone
Here's the other .1 group. Also with N140 powder.

[Linked Image]

.422 - .224 = .198 which is rounded to .2. Those are great groups for sure and now I understand how you arrive at .1 groups. Not trying to be ugly here, just an observation on rounding issues. That .108 group is awesome for an AR, have you shot additional groups with that load?

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/07/21 10:41 PM

If it’s in the .1’s it’s a .1 to me. I could’ve said they were both .1 which is what most people do anyways. I didn’t think you’re trying to be ugly. I think it’s like saying tomayto or tomahto. Not worth arguing over. I do welcome any discussion which is why I always try to post pics of my groups, and for transparency. I’m going to stick with the 25.6 load.

It is the first time I’ve tested this bullet and powder in any .223 rifle.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/07/21 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
tell us a bit about the rifle.

Nice groups, for dang sure!

Thanks for the compliment.

The rifle is one of my own creations with a LaRue Stealth barrel, LaRue trigger, Diamondhead hand guard, and PSA (I think) bcg. The scope is a Leupold VX3 2.5-8.
Posted By: J Hills

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/08/21 01:03 AM

Now take it to 300 and see if it holds.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/08/21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by J Hills

What’s that even mean?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/08/21 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05

What’s that even mean?

Variances in ES may not rear their ugly head at 100 yards, but at 300 yards might turn those .1 to .2 moa groups into much larger groups.

And, weather .1 or .2moa groups, rounding or not, those are damn fine groups form an AR. I get .5 moa groups from an AR and I am tickled pink.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/08/21 03:54 AM

You bring up a good point about ES. I need to bring my chrono next time. I should’ve brought it this time, but didn’t feel like setting it up. I’ve read really good things about VV powder so I don’t think I have too much to worry about.

I’m doing a lot better at paying attention to certain aspects of loading more. For instance, I used to not care which brand of brass or primer I was using for a particular load. Now, I sort headstamps and stick with one primer if I can. I also started measuring CBTO instead of COAL along with measuring the distance to the lands. I still think some things like measuring bullet runout are a too much.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/08/21 02:40 PM

The OP groups are good, but
Groups that are great/good at 100 might not be at distance. If 100 is ALL you shoot, don't waste components or time testing at 200, 300, +. If you want to shoot/hunt at distance you should test the load AND confirm your dope to your distances. You could find a 1/2" group is 10-12" at 300. That may be exaggerated some but it happens.

Just last week i was shooting at 300 with a friend. He has a 6MM AR that shoots sub 1/2" (5 shot groups) all day long at 100. His sub 1/2" went to 4-5" at 300. Multiple groups shot to confirm. Good shooter, lots of experience shooting to 660yds. It happens. He is scratching his head.

Different bullet, powder, primer, COAL, etc may be required to get back to your sub MOA groups at longer range.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/08/21 05:29 PM

I really only shoot no further than 200 when practicing or hunting. Since these bullets aren’t good hunting bullets it’ll more than likely be strictly for the range. The farthest my local range goes to is 600 so I might try it just to see how ES affects the groups (if there even is a big difference in ES).

I just finished assembling a long range 6.5 C AR and purchased a nice amount of H4350 and A4350, so this valuable information will need to be taken into account even more.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/08/21 10:35 PM

Groups that are great/good at 100 might not be at distance. If 100 is ALL you shoot, don't waste components or time testing at 200, 300, +. If you want to shoot/hunt at distance you should test the load AND confirm your dope to your distances. You could find a 1/2" group is 10-12" at 300. That may be exaggerated some but it happens.

Just last week i was shooting at 300 with a friend. He has a 6MM AR that shoots sub 1/2" (5 shot groups) all day long at 100. His sub 1/2" went to 4-5" at 300. Multiple groups shot to confirm. Good shooter, lots of experience shooting to 660yds. It happens. He is scratching his head.

Different bullet, powder, primer, COAL, etc may be required to get back to your sub MOA groups at longer range.

I’d be interested in knowing what scope your friend is using, specifically what power. You can’t shoot small if you can’t see small.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/09/21 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by P_102

I’d be interested in knowing what scope your friend is using, specifically what power. You can’t shoot small if you can’t see small.

The 6AR has a Leupold MK5 HD 3.6-18x44, TMR. He says reticle is too thick but it is what it is. He shoots a MK4 6.5-20x50 (probably TMR) at 1K.
I am using a 308 with a SB 4-16x42 PMII for 0-600, SB 5-25x56 PMII for 1K. I am going to try the 4-16 at 1K when I have time,
Posted By: Remo

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/10/21 06:09 AM

popcorn
You guys sure know a lot of...stuff. Glad you're sharing!
flehan
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/10/21 01:56 PM

Great set up and great groups. The 69SMK Is a fantastic bullet, especially in 1-9 twist. You should have no problem making 600-yard hits on steel with a more powerful scope and a solid rest.

You will always catch some chit posting on here. There is a TON of knowledge. Just comes across a little "hard"

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/12/21 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Great set up and great groups. The 69SMK Is a fantastic bullet, especially in 1-9 twist. You should have no problem making 600-yard hits on steel with a more powerful scope and a solid rest.

You will always catch some chit posting on here. There is a TON of knowledge. Just comes across a little "hard"

Thanks. I loaded up more of the N140 loads to test at longer ranges soon. I have a Trijicon 2.5-10 or even a Leupold Mk IV 4.5-14 (probably overkill) I can swap over if needed. I like this little VX3 though. For some reason, it just feels like it fits with a .223. The LaRue barrel is 1:8 twist.

I know I will always catch grief on here in one form or another, but I think it’s gotten better since I started posting my groups so I’m not accused of stretching the truth anymore. The knowledge on here is second to none IMO.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/12/21 04:26 PM

Good shooting sir

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/15/21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Good shooting sir

Thanks. I have to use glasses these days, but glad I still can group well.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/15/21 06:55 PM

If you're going to break out a caliper, and get down to thousandths, you cannot call a .198" a .1

Simple fifth grade number rounding.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/15/21 06:57 PM

daaaang,.... flehan
Posted By: P_102

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 01:33 AM

Giving yourself .1 when it’s closer to .2 is just like golfers that give themselves 2, 3 and 4’ putts. They end up with a lower handicap which kills them in the weekly $20 Nassau not to mention getting their [censored] kicked in the annual Club Championship…and they wonder why.

If JG puts on a money shoot at his place and shooters are classed….do you really want to be in the .1” group class?

Everybody on this forum wants to report shooting small….. .2 with an AR is exceptional!
Posted By: jsteve

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 02:49 AM

Giving yourself .1 when it’s closer to .2 is just like golfers that give themselves 2, 3 and 4’ putts. They end up with a lower handicap which kills them in the weekly $20 Nassau not to mention getting their [censored] kicked in the annual Club Championship…and they wonder why.

If JG puts on a money shoot at his place and shooters are classed….do you really want to be in the .1” group class?

Everybody on this forum wants to report shooting small….. .2 with an AR is exceptional!

I think it has to do with Street Outlaws, LOL. Had to do it cause the first thing I thought was the people saying they have an 11 second car when their best times are just a few thousands off of 12.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
If you're going to break out a caliper, and get down to thousandths, you cannot call a .198" a .1

Simple fifth grade number rounding.

Matter of opinion but I still got one that is only a few thousandths shy of getting in the .0’s so I’m very happy. It’s not something I can do everyday. I could’ve been too wide on the calipers for all we know, and I tend to give some width to my measurements.

One of these days you’re going to soften up a little and say “you know what, that’s some fine loading and shooting”. grin

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:03 AM

No, it is a matter of math.

The last bastion of truth, free of emotion and opinion.

And you tainted it with emotion and opinion. Must be a democrat.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:04 AM

And by the way, men cannot have babies and they should not participate in girls or women's sports.

And there are only two genders.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:08 AM

That’s only one group you’re debating. I still shot another one that was almost exactly .100. This LaRue barrel has been really good to me. It’s too bad that in the 6 years I’ve owned it, I’ve only shot about 150 rounds through it. At least I’m brave enough to post my targets.

As far as competing, and this is totally not self-deprecating; I don’t think I have the necessary skill set. I’ve long since forgotten how to make a decent wind call and haven’t gotten my DOPE for longer distances. There is no excuse for this lack of practice.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:12 AM

Odd response but I ask is rounding always done? No, it’s not. I could’ve easily just made the post without a picture or just showed the .1 value and still be truthful.

Please, just stop. I don’t want to fight with anyone, virtual or IRL. I’m not emotional about shooting. Target shooting to me is actually what I do to focus on being calm.

I’m not sure why you brought up mentally ill people, but whatever….

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:13 AM

At least your brave enough to post your targets? Are you chitting me? There have been thousands of targets posted on this forum from 100 to beyond 2000 yards, by many people.

Do you want a cookie for a 100 yard piece of paper, one time?

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:14 AM

Odd response but I ask is rounding always done? No, it’s not. I could’ve easily just made the post without a picture or just showed the .1 value and still be truthful.

Please, just stop. I don’t want to fight with anyone, virtual or IRL. I’m not emotional about shooting. Target shooting to me is actually what I do to focus on being calm.

Bullchit artists DO want to be left alone and leave everyone to eat their bullchit.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:16 AM

Didn’t ask for any recognition. I was posting the results of testing different powders and my surprise that the 69 SMK is so accurate.

Who cares about 1k and 2k targets? I’m not claiming to be the best shooter. I actually rate myself as only above average. It’s also not the first time I’ve shot .1 moa with a gasser. That picture has been posted also.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:17 AM

Bullchit artists DO want to be left alone and leave everyone to eat their bullchit.

I’m not BS’ing anything. Those pictures of the targets aren’t altered in any way.

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 03:25 AM

If someone owed you $198,000

Would you quickly explain it as someone owed you $200,000 or $100,000?

If you will give $98,000 worth of slack, can I borrow some money for six months?

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 02:12 PM

It depends on if I wanted to round.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/16/21 07:30 PM

Good shooting; no doubt about it.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Got some more .1 moa groups with my AR-15 today - 12/20/21 04:07 PM

Good Lord, just compliment the guy on some good shooting with good hand loads. How hard is it to be nice just one dang time? Why does anyone need to belittle what he did? And I think he said he had groups “in the .1’s”, which I took to mean they weren’t groups that started with the .2’s.

Reminds me of my oldest daughter’s first husband, who never ever gave a compliment. Whatever anyone did, and no matter how good it was, he always had to point out how it could have been better. It just sucks the joy out of any decent accomplishment.

Excellent shooting, tenyearsgone. I’d be mighty proud of those groups.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum