Texas Hunting Forum

Annealing brass

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Annealing brass - 07/23/21 11:48 AM

I assume the only advantage of this is to make brass last longer? Less brittle after repeated loadings?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/23/21 12:34 PM

Also keeps close to same neck tension each time it's loaded.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Annealing brass - 07/23/21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

This is equally important to me and therefore at least 50% of the reason I anneal. Was loading some Grendel one day and finished the box of 2 fires without fresh anneal. I moved on to the box of freshly annealed and wow what a difference I could feel in the seating.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Annealing brass - 07/23/21 01:01 PM

Also within your brass pieces they can work harden at different rates so you get varying neck spring back when Sizing. Annealing all helps minimize the variation but according to some you have to anneal each firing for best results.
When brass is cheap I doubt it’s worth it but these days brass ain’t cheap.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Annealing brass - 07/24/21 10:40 PM

I anneal every time. You can feel the difference in consistency when seating bullets.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/25/21 02:48 AM

nice, I didnt know this. Thanks all
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Annealing brass - 07/25/21 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Buzz,

stretch for the AMP if at all possible.
It was the third annealer I bought and absolutely worth the price.
The AMP has no flames, is faster, and more consistent.
No flames is a real plus having worked with a few.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Annealing brass - 07/25/21 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbird

Buzz,

^^^^ this 100%

I started with the BenchSource, fine annealer in my opinion. I use mine inside the house, I never liked the torches but I did it. The other HUGE thing is the AMP is consistent. No matter if I do 1 today, 5 tomorrow and 20 on Monday it’s the same heat. You cannot do that easy with the torches, so I was batching stuff. Seating force/neck tension proved that it needed to be done that way.

I anneal every firing.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/25/21 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Buzz,

^^^^ this 100%

I started with the BenchSource, fine annealer in my opinion. I use mine inside the house, I never liked the torches but I did it. The other HUGE thing is the AMP is consistent. No matter if I do 1 today, 5 tomorrow and 20 on Monday it’s the same heat. You cannot do that easy with the torches, so I was batching stuff. Seating force/neck tension proved that it needed to be done that way.

I anneal every firing.

cheers
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Annealing brass - 07/25/21 07:17 PM

The AMP is super easy, consistent, repeatable and fast so if you can swing the expense it’s a solid long term Investment. If your doing a lot of brass put a AMP mate and case feeder on it and you can pump out a ton of brass quick hands free.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Annealing brass - 07/25/21 07:29 PM

Annealing after every firing seems like a colossal waste of time, therefore I do it every 3rd firing. 99% of hunters and shooters will never notice the difference in load performance anyway. Over a 30 year period I didn't anneal 7mag brass at all, just tossing them if/when they split, and still managed to kill at least a couple hundred animals with it.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/25/21 09:13 PM

A load that can stay inside 8" at 200 yards would be just fine for some people.

Other people want a load that can stay inside half an inch at 200 yards. Annealing every firing makes sense for those people. And it's not a waste of time. Tumbling brass clean takes more time than annealing it.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/25/21 09:58 PM

Buzz what calibers are you needing annealed?
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 12:24 AM

I anneal after every firing since I'm chasing consistent neck tension and accuracy. I've only got the Annealeze and it is one of the easier steps I do in my reloading process.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 12:38 AM

Other people want a load that can stay inside half an inch at 200 yards. Annealing every firing makes sense for those people. And it's not a waste of time. Tumbling brass clean takes more time than annealing it.

These "other" people make up a miniscule % of the hunting population.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jgraider

These "other" people make up a miniscule % of the hunting population.

"Trying to get a bit more precision in my loading"

Buzz said ^^this in his thread asking questions about brass prep.

So, in this thread, that still applies. So, you've added nothing of value here. News flash! Not everyone just shoots rifles to do decent. Some people want them to shoot as tight as they possiblity can and as consistently as they possibly can. Be it hunting or not.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 02:52 AM

What I've added is that your typical hunter/shooter like Buzz (no offense) is wasting his time annealing every firing. Not everyone's identity is shooting rifles either.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 05:00 AM

Hell I might start annealing mine 2-3 times between firings so I can waste even more of my time,,,
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 10:47 AM

Knowing what I know now, and having felt the difference in seating force consistency when brass has had one firing versus 2-3, I would anneal every firing if I had the funds for an annealer. I guess now that I'm switching brass from Hornady (after 7 firings) over to Prime, I'll probably just start annealing using local folks. I absolutely get better groups on the first firing after an annealing than on the 2nd or 3rd.
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 10:48 AM

Out of the the guys I know who hunt most buy factory new ammo. I'd say that brass was annealed. The 4 of us who reload all anneal our brass every firing. I'd say we are also the ones trying to shoot little groups as well.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Hell I might start annealing mine 2-3 times between firings so I can waste even more of my time,,,

Do it! banana

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 11:59 AM

That's the spirit!!
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 12:22 PM

I anneal every 3rd cycle. (Two firings between annealing) I use a power drill and propane torch. It is a very simple process and goes fast.
Consistent neck tension and head space on par with new brass and putting an end to split necks to get longer life out of my brass is why I anneal.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 12:49 PM

What I've added is that your typical hunter/shooter like Buzz (no offense) is wasting his time annealing every firing. Not everyone's identity is shooting rifles either.

It is my identity as much as spotting scopes are your identity.

I, and many others, have the ability to recognize your experience on the topic. Let you go, sit back and maybe learn something. Evidently you do not possess the integrity to so the same.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 01:12 PM

I, and many others, have the ability to recognize your experience on the topic. Let you go, sit back and maybe learn something. Evidently you do not possess the integrity to so the same.

Oh, I most certainly do, which is why I ask Tubb and Hodnett's opinions on these type of subjects. You seem to think only a handful of folks around here possess this type of knowledge. BTW, I do learn stuff here too, I just don't take it as the gospel, just opinions, which is the way anyone interested should take mine.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 01:30 PM

I anneal to make expensive brass last a little longer. As to wether it improves precision enough to warrant the extra effort I follow the science. cheers
The AMP folks say yes but on the other hand I remember Litz saying no difference but needed more research.
He did say he doesn’t but he probably gets free Lapua cool
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I anneal every 3rd cycle. (Two firings between annealing) I use a power drill and propane torch. It is a very simple process and goes fast.
Consistent neck tension and head space on par with new brass and putting an end to split necks to get longer life out of my brass is why I anneal.

Pretty much the same here. Longer brass life on hard to find and or expensive brass is the main reason.
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 01:48 PM

Hey Smokey,
I'm gonna start annealing some brass with the drill/socket method also.
Approx. how long do you keep the brass in the torch flame to get good results?

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by cullbuck
Hey Smokey,

6-8 seconds. If you aren't sure, get some stuff called Tempilaq. It's foolproof.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by cullbuck
Hey Smokey,

6-8 seconds. If you aren't sure, get some stuff called Tempilaq. It's foolproof.

Raider gave good advice. Smaller calibers and thinner brass will take less time. In the shade or garage with the lights out, count while you watch for it to get a purplish blue glow, before it turns orange and it is done. Once you have the timing down you can blow through it. Like JGRAIDER advised, if you are hesitant about watching for color change, use tempilaq.

Edit to add: YouTube is your friend.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 06:14 PM

WOW...I guess retrospective I should've seen this is where the thread would go.

For the record...I LOVE to waste time to make rifles shoot better, it was kind of my thing. wink I'll even turn necks in some instances....(gasps heard around the state, I know)....for the record and to keep some from stroking out, I hate turning necks roflmao

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 06:26 PM

Why is the brass I anneal barely changed in color but factory loaded mil spec rounds are almost grey at the neck?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 06:28 PM

Watched a YouTube video of some guy in Europe using a candle to anneal fired cases.

I had a run of federal 243 brass that started splitting necks the 2nd firing and was starting to loose enough that I wouldn't have enough same cases to load them non mixed head stamp anymore so I gave it a try with the candle. Ive put 3 more firings on those cases and haven't split another.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Why is the brass I anneal barely changed in color but factory loaded mil spec rounds are almost grey at the neck?

May be the amount of time those sit after annealing? Do you tumble after?

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 06:49 PM

Some of you guys crack me up, if Natural Light is good for you that’s ok by me but I generally prefer a quality beer even though it turns to piss regardless of the brand afterwards roflmao If shooting a basketball sized group is ok by you at 300 yards then ok but some of us like a little tighter groups than others so if it’s your thing do it, if not then don’t. It’s not complicated at all but some of you try to make it that way..

I’ll continue to waste my time I guess drinking Stella Artois and pissing a lot clap

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 07:14 PM

I find most beers have an appropriate occasion and so does most different disciplines of ammo. When loading for precision and longer range I put a lot more care into it than I do for the 45 colt cowboy loads I use for hog trap work.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 09:08 PM

Oh, I most certainly do, which is why I ask Tubb and Hodnett's opinions on these type of subjects. You seem to think only a handful of folks around here possess this type of knowledge. BTW, I do learn stuff here too, I just don't take it as the gospel, just opinions, which is the way anyone interested should take mine.

So it would take Tubb or Hodnett to say annealing every firing is a good thing, to keep you from blurting out out some nonsense like "it's a waste of time"?
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 09:35 PM

Oh, I most certainly do, which is why I ask Tubb and Hodnett's opinions on these type of subjects.

David Tubb says if jamming the lands then annealing doesn't help, otherwise anneal.

6-8 seconds...

I think that's way too generalized. But, I don't anneal. Yet. So what do I know.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/26/21 09:37 PM

Some of you guys crack me up, if Natural Light is good for you that’s ok by me but I generally prefer a quality beer even though it turns to piss regardless of the brand afterwards roflmao If shooting a basketball sized group is ok by you at 300 yards then ok but some of us like a little tighter groups than others so if it’s your thing do it, if not then don’t. It’s not complicated at all but some of you try to make it that way..

I’ll continue to waste my time I guess drinking Stella Artois and pissing a lot clap

See I multi task. I drink Miller High Life while I anneal with a torch and power drill. I get the same results and have lots of beer money left in case I decide to anneal every firing or do a big batch.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Do you tumble after?

No

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 12:52 AM

So it would take Tubb or Hodnett to say annealing every firing is a good thing, to keep you from blurting out out some nonsense like "it's a waste of time"?

It would take an expert.....Tubb, Hodnett, Litz, etc to convince me, not some nobody on the internet.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 12:26 PM

There's a lot of blurting out of nonsense in this forum, myself included. Sometimes the road to being convinced of something different takes defending your priors as viciously as possible.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 02:19 PM

It would take an expert.....Tubb, Hodnett, Litz, etc to convince me, not some nobody on the internet.

I guess that's how we should treat you when you're trying to help with spotting scopes. Just ignore you, because you're some nobody on the internet. No way could you be an expert.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 02:45 PM

We all need to get a hot cup of coffee and be friends this morning.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 03:12 PM

But not Black Rifle Coffee, right? Because they turned their backs on us.

<stir>

I don't even drink coffee.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

I used to think you were a good guy rofl

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 03:48 PM

I guess that's how we should treat you when you're trying to help with spotting scopes. Just ignore you, because you're some nobody on the internet. No way could you be an expert.

I could care less. I just offer up my experiences with my own eyeballs.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 04:28 PM

<stir>

Side track but I never thought DRC coffee was all that great. Now that they have, I'm definitely out on them! Dollar for dollar, community coffee is the best deal going.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 04:39 PM

<stir>

Im way to cheap for their coffee.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 05:39 PM

The same as so many people here do on various topics.

How much less could you care?

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 06:10 PM

The same as so many people here do on various topics.

How much less could you care?

Ranks right up there with getting your approval for what I think, or what I've learned through my own personal experience.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 07:24 PM

I wasn’t trying to upset anyone, I was trying to make a joke with my last post lol, if you want to anneal every firing or every 3rd then go for it. If not then it doesn’t really matter to most of us flag If anyone close to me needs some brass annealed then shoot me a pm and I’ll definitely help a brother out for sure. I enjoy tinkering with stuff as time allows in my free time and I know I overkill a lot of my stuff but it’s all in the name of fun for me. I have a lot of money tied up in reloading equipment and I prefer to use it rather than have it collecting dust so holla if you need some annealed and I’ll hook you up..

FYI Jason’s a good dude and knows his chit, he lives and breaths this stuff so you would probably be better off listening to what he has to say rather than arguing with him. I’m not a professional shooter by any means but I take everything he has to say about this topic to heart and until proven otherwise you should to IMO.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 09:28 PM

FYI Jason’s a good dude and knows his chit, he lives and breaths this stuff so you would probably be better off listening to what he has to say rather than arguing with him. I’m not a professional shooter by any means but I take everything he has to say about this topic to heart and until proven otherwise you should to IMO.

I assume you're talking to me. Do you have any clue who Tubb, Hodnett, and Litz are? Lot's of knowledge around here for sure, but Tubb probably forgot more than everyone here combined. It's like listening to advice from me about baseball when Cal Ripken Jr lives next door.

Nice gesture on the brass annealing service though.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 09:48 PM

Why don’t you simply go away, I’m not trying to be rude but all you do is argue with people and try to butt heads over the most mundane of things and I’m pretty sure you just enjoy arguing with whoever will oblige you.

Yes I know who your referring to and you sound like your typical pot licker who eats up every thing the al mighty spews out and anyone who goes against the grain on what you’ve read about Scooter Brown saying is all nonsense even though if the truth be told behind closed doors Scooter Browns doing the exact same thing but simply doesn’t want anyone else to know what he’s truly doing. How about you grow a set of nads and figure out a few things on your own instead of living soley off someone else’s opinions especially when your only getting half truths.

I have an idea, why don’t you do your own tests and see if something works or it doesn’t work? Nah, you can just read about it or watch a video of Jo Dick Johnson and if it didn’t work for him it has to be the gospel,, 2 words come to mind Damn and Lazy

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 10:00 PM

Why don’t you simply go away, I’m not trying to be rude but all you do is argue with people and try to butt heads over the most mundane of things and I’m pretty sure you just enjoy arguing with whoever will oblige you.

Yes I know who your referring to and you sound like your typical pot licker who eats up every thing the al mighty spews out and anyone who goes against the grain on what you’ve read about Scooter Brown saying is all nonsense even though if the truth be told behind closed doors Scooter Browns doing the exact same thing but simply doesn’t want anyone else to know what he’s truly doing. How about you grow a set of nads and figure out a few things on your own instead of living soley off someone else’s opinions especially when your only getting half truths.

I have an idea, why don’t you do your own tests and see if something works or it doesn’t work? Nah, you can just read about it or watch a video of Jo Dick Johnson and if it didn’t work for him it has to be the gospel,, 2 words come to mind Damn and Lazy

Speaking of not having a clue what you're talkig about, your above post proves it. I've hunted next door to Tubb and Hodnett for over 20 yrs, so I'm not guessing as to what they do, and been reloading since 1980. Good try though.

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 10:34 PM

Do you bathe with him as well? Just curious how close you two are and if spooning was involved. Your obviously infatuated with him as you didn’t address the part about doing something on your own or having your own opinion about something else without spewing someone else’s thoughts?? The way you shout out his name which has only been about 43 times in this thread lends me to believe your man crush runs deep.

Out of curiosity I lived next door to Garth Brooks in Owasso Ok for 8 years so does that make me a country super star or know how he wrote his music? The answer is nope, what goes on behind closed doors are the secrets of their respective trade and you constantly quoting your hero has gotten pathetic. Go do some of your own testing and come back when you have your own opinions,,, or not and continue to suck on the cool aid,,,
Posted By: HenryL

Re: Annealing brass - 07/27/21 10:49 PM

Good lord, talk about someone going full zealot and idolizing someone else. No doubt there's some intelligence and skilled people on this topic, like Todd Hodnett, out there.... but there's thousands of people, if not tens of thousands, just as skilled on this topic out there... and there's always someone who knows more and is more skilled, even though they may not have the same celebrity. Treat no man's word as gospel on any topic ... listen to what they say and judge for yourself. Maybe you'll learn something useful, maybe you'll learn how [censored] sounds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum