Texas Hunting Forum

Mactchking ammo

Posted By: Longhorn74

Mactchking ammo - 02/07/21 05:44 PM

I managed to pick up a couple of boxes of 30-06 168 grain matchking shells this morning. My question is can these shells be used for deer hunting? I have always used soft point shells for hunting and never used the matchking shells. Will they tear up a deer or just go right through one?
Posted By: 1955

Re: Mactchking ammo - 02/07/21 06:08 PM

Match king bullets from Sierra ate mainly target bullets that are real accurate. I would think they would be to explosive for hunting deer, it would probably ruin to much meat.
Posted By: javman

Re: Mactchking ammo - 02/07/21 06:37 PM

Hit em in lungs and they'll be lucky to go more than 10yds! Most will be DRT!
Posted By: hilltop101

Re: Mactchking ammo - 02/07/21 10:00 PM

I shot a doe this year at 100 yards with FGMM 308 168 match kings. She was slightly quartered so I hit her in the crease behind the front shoulder. It when in and blew out the shoulder on the opposite side. She made it about 20 yards. I would use them again.
Posted By: TAB

Re: Mactchking ammo - 02/08/21 12:05 AM

I’ve shot deer with match kings in a 308, broadside is pretty explosive, neck/ head works excellent. I’d use for hunting with well placed shots..
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Mactchking ammo - 02/09/21 11:07 PM

Typically I have no problem using match bullets for it thin skin lightly built animals but I have had mixed results with the SMK. Sometimes they penetrate okay and shred themselves; you'll find what's left of them against the hide on the far side of the animal. Other times the nose will just cave in on itself and you will ice pick right through the animal inflicting an eventually lethal wound and a cruel death at the same time. I base that on having dug the bullets out of the dirt once they passed through a deer. The tipped SMK on the other hand are fantastic.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum