Texas Hunting Forum

Neck Sizing ??

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 02:45 PM

I used to just neck size my .222 brass many years ago, now I FL size everything, assuring nice bolt closer. (shoulder)

What do YOU use a neck sizer die for?
Posted By: TAB

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 03:07 PM

6.5 CM, 6.5-284, 308 win, 300win mag
All Redding type s bushing die with a wilson in-line seater.

I’ll fl resize if the bolt gets sticky.., usually with the win mag
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 03:22 PM

Been using a Lee collet neck sizing die for several years now. About every 5th loading I'll bump shoulders back with a body die. No lube necessary on Lee die. Makes very accurate ammo with great runout numbers.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 03:58 PM

Spare parts....zero reason to use a neck die, I now FL size everything.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 04:39 PM

Partial FL size everything. Get a headspace gauge and set the FL die to bump shoulders .002" every time.

Neck sizing gains you nothing. It can cause a bolt to lock up after firing. Sick feeling to watch a man put the butt of his rifle on the ground and stomp on the bolt handle with his boot.
Posted By: dee

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 04:49 PM

I expected better out you than this Buzz........
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 05:46 PM

just bored
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Partial FL size everything. Get a headspace gauge and set the FL die to bump shoulders .002" every time.

Neck sizing gains you nothing. It can cause a bolt to lock up after firing. Sick feeling to watch a man put the butt of his rifle on the ground and stomp on the bolt handle with his boot.

Funny I haven't experienced any of these problems over the last 8 years.....7mag, 7-08, 6.5CM. I do have rifle specific brass though.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Spare parts....zero reason to use a neck die, I now FL size everything.

Literally this. I own both RCBS Competition 308 FL die set and the standard neck die set. I recently found the expander (I think) was out of whack. Using the rod and expander, not even the depriming pin, has all this die been good for. I've sorta wanted to perform a little test for myself but I've had such good results so far this hardly seemed worth the effort.

My own little 3d maga level analysis of the reasons for neck sizing just made less sense to me over time. When I initially heard of it, it sounded like a great idea in theory, same exact-combustion chamber volume. Even bought the neck die after the fl die. Then I thought about it some more. My biggest issue I personally had was that proponents of neck sizing only seemed say, or at insinuate, that how consistent one closes the bolt makes a difference and "all you have to do is just close it the same way." Seemed like a poor argument when the alternative, full length sizing, essentially eliminates that human-based variable. I've learned by trial that even the 0.002" bump to is enough that whether you slam it or work it real gentle or mix it up, didn't seem to matter.

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jgraider

Funny I haven't experienced any of these problems over the last 8 years.....7mag, 7-08, 6.5CM. I do have rifle specific brass though.

You likely won't if you're bumping every 5th firing like you said above. Depending on things (chamber, pressure and brass) you can encounter that scenario sooner or much farther down the road.

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/01/20 08:56 PM

Here's a solid couple vids about neck vs bumping.

https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

https://youtu.be/vaqg4sJvg24
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/02/20 12:34 AM

And I hope you don't.

But I have seen that very thing happen several times. Neck sizing is a gamble I'm not willing to make. And it doesn't make the ammo shoot any better than shoulder bumped brass. But shoulder bumped brass is more reliable.
Posted By: TAB

Re: Neck Sizing ?? - 10/02/20 01:08 AM

And I hope you don't.

But I have seen that very thing happen several times. Neck sizing is a gamble I'm not willing to make. And it doesn't make the ammo shoot any better than shoulder bumped brass. But shoulder bumped brass is more reliable.

I been loading my stuff with bushing dies since 1997 and the wilson seater and I have never experienced anything like what you described, but I do bump the shoulder if the bolt lift is sticky, I also only load certain calibers 3x some 5-8 depending on the caliber and brand of brass. I also have rifles that are more bench guns than field guns however I would take any one hunting and I have with great success. I probably am far extreme but I enjoy keeping my hands moving and having small projects like turning brass etc.. once you got everything done though you don’t have much to blame except yourself for missing or shooting bad.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum