Texas Hunting Forum

Powder Storage

Posted By: Tbar

Powder Storage - 08/22/20 05:55 PM

What temperature variation does your powder see sitting on the shelf through out the year?

From what temp to what temp?
Posted By: DeleteThisAccount

Re: Powder Storage - 08/22/20 07:05 PM

68 - 73 .... It would just be 68 but there's that battle of the sexes issue....the never-ending war over the thermostat ROFL
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Powder Storage - 08/22/20 07:42 PM

Probably 50-75F. I watch the humidity pretty close and try to keep it around 40-50%
Today it 73F and 43% humidity in the reloading shop.
Posted By: Retired and hunting

Re: Powder Storage - 08/22/20 09:49 PM

I have a smaller gun room,10x16 with a small window unit that keeps it around 70,should i use a dehumidifier or will that work. Thanks
Posted By: boxerrider

Re: Powder Storage - 08/23/20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Retired and hunting
I have a smaller gun room,10x16 with a small window unit that keeps it around 70,should i use a dehumidifier or will that work. Thanks

The window unit A/C acts as a dehumdifier and is probably sufficient. You can measure the relative humidity if you are really worried, but if you can comfortably occupy the space then the the powder will be fine in there.

Enjoy!
Jeff

Re: Powder Storage - 08/23/20 01:11 PM

The reason I ask is I was thinking of moving my powder to the upstairs game room that we rarely use where the a/c is set to 83 in the summer and 67 in the winter.

What do you think?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Powder Storage - 08/23/20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
The reason I ask is I was thinking of moving my powder to the upstairs game room that we rarely use where the a/c is set to 83 in the summer and 67 in the winter.

What do you think?

Completely fine.

I've had powders range from all the temps north Texas sees, and they still worked fine.

Re: Powder Storage - 08/23/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by Tbar

What do you think?

Completely fine.

I've had powders range from all the temps north Texas sees, and they still worked fine.

Thanks!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Powder Storage - 08/24/20 06:11 PM

It will be fine. One of the LARGE local ammo companies I have been to has an outdoor, metal "magazine" to store their powder in. It holds thousands of pounds of powder, and it's in a metal container, that looks like a shipping container. It gets really hot in there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum