Texas Hunting Forum

Lanolin oil sizing lube?

Posted By: deewayne2003

Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 04:35 PM

Anyone use lanolin oil mixes for sizing lube?..... If so I would appreciate the recipe

A buddy of mine that reloads extensively says he mixes lanolin oil and denatured alcohol until it "looks right" and swears by it being better than commercial lube; I would just like a more detailed formula.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 04:51 PM

Ive heard the same. Personally I look no further than one-shot. If I have heavier duty sizing I break out the lube pad.
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by deewayne2003

Anyone use lanolin oil mixes for sizing lube?..... If so I would appreciate the recipe

A buddy of mine that reloads extensively says he mixes lanolin oil and denatured alcohol until it "looks right" and swears by it being better than commercial lube; I would just like a more detailed formula.

Thats all I use. Dillon case lube is the same.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 05:03 PM

A friend of mine got me using Vaseline for resizing lube.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 05:20 PM

I make my own using liquid lanolin and 99% pure Isopropyl alcohol. I only have to mix it once or twice a year, I would have to look to see the exact ratio, but pretty sure I use 2 oz liquid lanolin to 16 oz of alcohol. Supposedly the Iso Heet works just as well since it is 98.5% alcohol, but I have never tried it. The mix I have works real well for me though. I have never had a stuck case with it.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 07:16 PM

I have never understood the interest in making something myself that is readily available, cheap, and works fine. How is homemade case lube better than Unique, Imperial, or any other can of paste? Seems like a waste of time to me.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 07:41 PM

Its cheap, it works better than most of the things I have tried in 30 years of reloading, and literally takes less than 5 minutes to make. I still use Imperial every now and then for certain things, but it is slower. The diy spray is really fast and easy for bulk reloading. Why would I not use it?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 08:05 PM

I use mink oil with flawless results.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
I have never understood the interest in making something myself that is readily available, cheap, and works fine. How is homemade case lube better than Unique, Imperial, or any other can of paste? Seems like a waste of time to me.

I'm looking to try something different because the last couple of times I used Hornady 1 shot I was NOT impressed!
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/13/20 10:38 PM

Imperial, or Hornady Unique is too easy.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/14/20 12:25 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgsimvLoddo

I have used it with no issues but I admit I mainly just use One Shot for convenience.
Posted By: 22Mules

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/14/20 01:26 AM

Why not KY His and Hers. Hers for 6.5 and His for all the manly cases.
Just kidding. I use Unique with no problems, I have had problems with One Shot though.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/14/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by 22Mules
Why not KY His and Hers. Hers for 6.5 and His for all the manly cases.
Just kidding. I use Unique with no problems, I have had problems with One Shot though.

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Welcome to the forum. up
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/14/20 03:00 AM

I like the Dillon lube. I’ve threatened to mix up a bottle or two of the home grown stuff but never have, surprisingly.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Lanolin oil sizing lube? - 02/14/20 02:07 PM

Sounds like case lube is about as ford/chevy/ram as about anything else.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum