Texas Hunting Forum

New Hornady Atip bullets

Posted By: Adchunts

New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/24/19 10:04 PM

Sounds intriguing for you precision rifle shooters.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/24/19 10:25 PM

Good marketing so far. I’m in for a penny. Will a 1:8 stabilize those 153s at 2650-2700?
Posted By: Judd

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/24/19 10:41 PM

rofl

We're going to give you sequential bullets so you know they were made together (isn't that what lots have been doing for years?) so then you can tell bullet 1 from bullet 30...but first, we're going to let you pour them all in a red crown royal bag so you can clean your own bullets....oh but wait...what about that sequential thing? confused2

Marketing to the flock...I hate marketing folks who play you to be a dumb donkey bang
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/24/19 10:41 PM

Beat me to it!

Hornady keeps on impressing me, and I use their bullets more than any other manufacturer. Where's the 7mm offering?

That big .30 cal is a missle, though! Load that in a .300 Norma mag and let it eat!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/24/19 11:12 PM

Who's gonna getem first?????? .80 each, Midway taking backorders. no i didnt order any, waiting for there 90gr .224

my bet is Dstroud
Posted By: DStroud

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/24/19 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Who's gonna getem first?????

my bet is Dstroud

Lol....Derrick and I were trying to guess yesterday about what we thought the announcement was and we both were way wrong so Hornady kept this one close to the vest.

I will be trying to get my hands on the 135gr 6.5 as soon as I can for sure as that bullet running 3200fps from a 1/8 twist would be a solid LR performer IF the BC is really what they say.
Posted By: dee

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 12:44 AM

A few guys have been running them for around a year. They love them but they are a touch pricey.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 02:39 AM

Someone named their son Jayden. That’s the real story, here.
Posted By: bo3

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 03:11 AM

Has anyone seen anything on bullet lengths or twist rates?
Posted By: Cleric

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
rofl

We're going to give you sequential bullets so you know they were made together (isn't that what lots have been doing for years?) so then you can tell bullet 1 from bullet 30...but first, we're going to let you pour them all in a red crown royal bag so you can clean your own bullets....oh but wait...what about that sequential thing? confused2

Marketing to the flock...I hate marketing folks who play you to be a dumb donkey bang

Yeah so if you have a huge lot....say 10k statistically there will be more variation in 100 randomly selected bullets as opposed to 100 sequentially selected. So it has less to do with shooting them in sequential order and more reducing the machining variations due to tool wear, setup, enviro conditions, etc
Posted By: bo3

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 05:38 PM

Midway has the twist rates. The 110 needs a 7.7, the 135 needs a 8.5, the 153 needs a 8, the 230 needs a 9, and the 250 needs a 8.5 twist
Posted By: redchevy

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 06:05 PM

Well I guess .277 and .257 aren't the only calibers going to need a revamped twist rate for aftermarket barrels.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 06:41 PM

So are these hunting or match bullets?? peep

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cleric

Bet they are both before long.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Bet they are both before long.

They already have been lol........
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 09:26 PM

Oh great, just when I get everything worked out with the ELDs...

I didn't watch the video (blocked at work). Other than the tip, what's significantly different than the ELD?

[Linked Image]

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 09:56 PM

rofl

Yeah so if you have a huge lot....say 10k statistically there will be more variation in 100 randomly selected bullets as opposed to 100 sequentially selected. So it has less to do with shooting them in sequential order and more reducing the machining variations due to tool wear, setup, enviro conditions, etc

Wouldn't lowering the total number of bullets in a lot solve that?

FWIW - I have no idea how many bullets are in a lot for any manufacturer.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/25/19 10:54 PM

rofl

Wouldn't lowering the total number of bullets in a lot solve that?

FWIW - I have no idea how many bullets are in a lot for any manufacturer.

So I don’t know their lot size or there stability charts on tooling... but from a general stand point it’s hard to do that in a meaningful way. Within any process you have different sources of variations. The purpose I image of the sequential is to get a sub lot within the lot. You could reduce the lot size down and validate all your tools, fixture, process are reset and try to reduce variation that way but sequential would be less costly.

Think about a drill bit. The first hole is nice and clean and sharp but the 10000th isn’t as much because the tool wore out. You could get a new bit or sharpen every 1k holes to reset it. But it’s easier to run them to 10k (assuming they still meet spec) and deliver sequentially. Their would be a lot of waste in the 1k reset because you are producing to a tighter spec then need be. In this application the variation matters more than the spec. I am going to be really interested to see the variation from box to box. If sequential is so important how do you do reorders

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/26/19 03:41 AM

I think, on the reorder, you re-zero, then step to 500, 1000, 1500 yards, and see what you see. But a small percentage of the population has that ability.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/26/19 04:25 AM

I would Think you have to. I can not see any benefit to sequencing the bullets other than reduced variation. So if that is an issue reorder will be a pain. I agree, or I would buy as much as you need for your rifle. Or enough to carry you a long way.

I am going to be interested to see the results on these. What sucks is most individuals are not going to have measurement systems good enough to see what is going on. I am thinking you would want 4-5 decimal points to really measure.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/26/19 02:33 PM

If they get them 4 or 5 decimal points they'll be the straightest most consistent bullet ever made...historically that isn't Hornady's game. They are the WalMart of bullets.

I would be tickled if they get is consistently within 3 decimal points...most custom bullet manufacturers can but that's also why they are double the cost of a Hornady bullet.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/26/19 06:49 PM

I would expect there spec to be 3 decimal points. But in terms of monitoring performance you want to go at least one more decimal point. That is how you can truly measure the performance of systems. If you do not there will not be enough data to draw conclusions about moving in and out of stability and or control
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/26/19 09:37 PM

Very cool!! The main issue I see with this.... Going to a much longer bullet, and a longer nose length (ogive to tip length) moves the center of gravity of the bullet backwards. In the video at 2:23, is shows this illustration of the center of gravity moving backwards. The further back the center of gravity is, the easier the bullet wants to turn around (tumble). So you need more barrel twist to stabilize it. Longer, high BC bullets are more sensitive to seating depth, and are certainly more picky on the load used with that bullet. So getting a VERY aggressive bullet to work right in factory ammo, hum! I'm liking it though!

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/27/19 12:26 AM

This thing got sidetracked. Has anyone let that 30 caliber, 250 grain BC sink in, yet? Great googley moogley. It’s not only spanking the 30 caliber offerings like a rented mule, it’s beating all the 300 grain, .338 offerings. That’s significant, and it’s about time.

That’s assuming the numbers are correct, but seeing what Hornady has been doing lately, I believe they will be. If they’re even close, this will draw me away from the .338’s and right into the big .30’s, which I just couldn’t make work, until now. I can’t wait to see how they kill.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/27/19 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
This thing got sidetracked. Has anyone let that 30 caliber, 250 grain BC sink in, yet? Great googley moogley. It’s not only spanking the 30 caliber offerings like a rented mule, it’s beating all the 300 grain, .338 offerings. That’s significant, and it’s about time.

That’s assuming the numbers are correct, but seeing what Hornady has been doing lately, I believe they will be. If they’re even close, this will draw me away from the .338’s and right into the big .30’s, which I just couldn’t make work, until now. I can’t wait to see how they kill.

I did some research yesterday on this very topic. I learned the 30 Nosler has more case capacity than Hornady's .300 PRC. So I would put that 250 gr in a .30 Nosler case with it full of H-1000 or H-retumbo and give it a 28" or 30" barrel.

2000 yards? Hold my beer.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/27/19 02:41 AM

I like the sound of that.

I like a .30-.338 Lapua, even better.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/27/19 03:14 AM

I will need to shoot the barrel out of my 28 inch 300 PRC before I can move to those 250 gr missiles.
I am sure a 1/10 twist won’t cut it with that length Bullets.
I have a bunch of 225’s and 212’s to work thru first as well.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/27/19 02:10 PM

I like the sound of that.

I like a .30-.338 Lapua, even better.

No doubt it would hold even more powder, making even more velocity. I think 300 Norma would be a better choice. You just stepped up in action size, to one that's a little more hard to come by, if you're wanting to build on a used action. But, if you got on a mission to do it, it would be a hell of a rig for sure.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/27/19 09:18 PM

I’d have to buy an action, anyway. If a fella already had an action to fit the Norma, it’d sure make a lot of sense.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/27/19 09:29 PM

I’d have to buy an action, anyway. If a fella already had an action to fit the Norma, it’d sure make a lot of sense.

Kind of looks like the best thing to do with such an action.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/30/19 05:02 PM

6.5mm 135gr Atip next to a 147 eld....... Looks sleek and boat tail is pretty aggressive.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 04/30/19 05:07 PM

Beautiful.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by dee
6.5mm 135gr Atip next to a 147 eld....... Looks sleek and boat tail is pretty aggressive.

[Linked Image]

O.A.L. shorter on the A-tip
Base to ogive shorter on the A-tip
Bearing surface shorter on the A-tip

Bet a 1:8.5 twist will run it just fine. Need a 1:8 to run the 147 ELD out of a Creed. Think I will buy some ASAP.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 11:38 AM

I'd like to give them a run in my 6.5x47L. I am willing to try them just for killing critters kinda like the old Remington Bronze point bullets with some rapid expansion.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 11:49 AM

I would need them to gain some speed over the 140 ELD-M. The 140's still carry the BC edge, and weight. But if the 135 gr can come out quite a bit faster, they might be worth it.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 11:57 AM

I think in a saum or prc with that short bearing surface it could offer a nice advantage. For me my 6.5 is only a 21" tube so I typically can't run 140's fast enough to beat the 130-135gr stuff. Currently running a 130vld at 2800 with great luck.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by dee
I'd like to give them a run in my 6.5x47L. I am willing to try them just for killing critters kinda like the old Remington Bronze point bullets with some rapid expansion.

Use to shoot the bronze points in my 270 win, never hear many people talk about them. My uncle still does shoot them in his.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by dee

Use to shoot the bronze points in my 270 win, never hear many people talk about them. My uncle still does shoot them in his.

I still have some loaded up in 30-06. They have always performed great but switched to nosler bt when the bronze went away. I don't use what I have just because of nostalgia.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by dee
Originally Posted by dee

I still have some loaded up in 30-06. They have always performed great but switched to nosler bt when the bronze went away. I don't use what I have just because of nostalgia.

The ones we shot were all factory loaded. If I am not mistaken my uncle still buys them, he gets them from a gun shop in Seguin. He may also just have a stock pile of them as he doesn't shoot much. He also shot them in his 30-06.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 01:25 PM

Aluminum tipped bullets are nothing new, Winchester Silvertip is decades old. In more modern streamline bullets the .510 750 grain Hornady A-Max I have been shooting for years. Strange Hornady only published the G1 BC for it for years, heard they might release the G7 sometime. I gave up getting that information several years ago. The G1 on that bullet is 1.07 or something like that. Try that in your favorite Ballistic calculator and watch it puke

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Aluminum tipped bullets are nothing new, Winchester Silvertip is decades old. In more modern streamline bullets the .510 750 grain Hornady A-Max I have been shooting for years. Strange Hornady only published the G1 BC for it for years, heard they might release the G7 sometime. I gave up getting that information several years ago. The G1 on that bullet is 1.07 or something like that. Try that in your favorite Ballistic calculator and watch it puke

The original 162 7mm amax was aluminum tipped as well but if I remember correctly the tip was longer if that makes sense kinda like the fifty cal bullet you mention.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/01/19 04:30 PM

just a heads up Midway is taking backorders but they are UPCHARGING like a MOFO !!!!

Good old Larry Potterfield, Mr. NRA realmad flush
Posted By: ormandj

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/03/19 09:48 PM

Hornady 6.5mm 135gr A-Tip

OAL: 1.380”
Bearing surface: 0.408”
Aluminum tip: 0.155”

Hornady 6.5mm 153gr A-Tip:

OAL: 1.500”
Bearing surface: 0.530”
Aluminum tip: 0.155”
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/04/19 03:57 AM

I have to give it a giant MEH. We just got the ELDs. Hornady is the master at separating money from peoples wallets.

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/04/19 02:48 PM

I back-ordered a box of 135's. I'll share some

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/04/19 04:24 PM

After looking a little closer the 135 seems like a solid improvement BC wise over competitive bullets in that weight range but not sure the 153gr is anything special over the 150 Sierra MK.
Going from a G7 of .353 (Sierra) to .355(Atip) for double the price... they better work well on animals too... and self clean your barrel.
Posted By: javman

Re: New Hornady Atip bullets - 05/04/19 04:31 PM

The original Win Silver tip reincarnated with today's bells and whistles!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum